Jury System

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Jury System

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun May 17, 2009 11:44 pm

As those living in Japan most definitely know, the Justice system will be introducing a US-like sytem of Trial by Jury (it's actually mixed jury, w/ 6-jurors and 3 judges last I checked). Now obviously this system isn't perfect, and as a big whitey, there's no way in hell I'd ask for a trial by jury if given the choice, but you've gotta think that the system would reek as fair. Or at least fairer than their current system of a single judge deciding the fate (sometimes up to death) of a defendant. Even so, there are opponents to this new system, that will go as far as to marching in demonstrations.

I still can't figure this out. I don't see the downside to the system other than jurors who get stuck in long cases being brought to light that they sit there and play Freecell all day when daily operations go off without a hitch in their absence.

Maybe it's just one of those other 'backwards things'. I know two Japanese women that thing I'm the fucked up one when I ride in economy class from Tokyo to Honolulu on the 10PM flight (in which most of the flight is spent in slumber) but choose to upgrade on the flight back which leaves at noon (when most of the time is spent awake -- enjoying the actual upgrade).
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Return to “Everything Else”