Your shitty internet.

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Your shitty internet.

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:08 am

So are broadband speeds still a gigantic turd in the west? I remember living in the states a few years ago they had just bumped the speed up to a whopping 3Mb. (fapfapfapfapfap). I'm now the proud owner of one of those mobile internet USB things at 7.1Mb down (1.2 Mb up) for a maximum of 4980 a month. If I don't use it, it's only 1000 yen a month.

Seems a fair deal, no?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:50 am

"Up to" 3Mb sounds about right. I'm paying about $37 a month for what I believe to be a theoretical 1.5Mb down/256 up. The city here actually invested a huge amount of cash into a citywide fiber optic network back in the late '90's (apparently one of the first places in the US to do so?) meaning that there are a ton of inexpensive local providers on the network that make a good alternative speed- and cost-wise to fucks like Charter and Comcast. $57 a month with my provider would yield a max of 7Mb/1Mb; $80 supposedly gets 10Mb both ways, but I'm not really sure how fast those service levels are in reality. I'm led to believe that this is quite a bit better than most larger cities both in cost and speed, but I've honestly no clue.

So by "mobile internet USB thing," do you mean one of those little dongles that connects you through a cellular network? I didn't realize the networks in Japan were so fast. Here you get one of those gadgets, and you're still paying out the ass for the completely fucked data plans the big cell companies all charge. It's not even worth it unless you're some kind of mobile road warrior with a business expense account and a pathological need to be connected on a computer every single place you might travel. Of course, when the cellular providers are charging us 10 or 20 cents per text message even though the messages are piggybacking on the unused portion of other cellular traffic, you can't really expect them to be fair about data usage pricing.

But speaking of internet, how about those awesome Finns?
http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2009/10/ ... 80940.html
You also distaste me with passion!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:29 am

Yes -- I'm getting it through Softbank. It has a SIM card and everything. For the most part, it's just a data version of what they offer, and it goes directly to my laptop instead of through the phone. You can hack the iPhone to do something similar I'm sure, but my battery life on the road is precious.

You didn't know networks in Japan were so fast? My cable download is 160Mbs.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

zapeipaa
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby zapeipaa » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:42 am

I guess this means that you won't have to ensure that Internet is installed/able to install when you look for apartments in Japan. :)

I had something similiar on my Softbank cellphone (except the speed). Paid around 4000 yen tops for unlimited Internet use, and 1000 yen if I didn't use it at all. Great to see them offering the same for computers, with such high speed and all.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:52 am

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:13 am

Sweet zombie Jesus! I 'd kill a total stranger for 11Mb download. Speedtest has me at 1.78Mb down, .23Mb up. :(

Gaijin Punch wrote:You didn't know networks in Japan were so fast? My cable download is 160Mbs.

I knew the wired Internet was pretty damn speedy, I just assumed their cellular throughput was the shoddy redheaded stepchild of a communications network we have here.
You also distaste me with passion!

Kron
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kron » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of shitty UK broadband, A technological 3rd world:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Fast internet is one of the benefits of having everyone live on top of each other (literally). Infrastructure costs are way lower when everyone lives in one place. Not sure how mobile internet works though.

And yes, zap, it's the same deal as on my phone...exactly. They've basically just taken a phone, made it data only, stuck it on a USB stick, and marketed it.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:52 pm

My internet got upgraded to a whopping 4,5mbit about 6 months ago. Talking in numbers I have 590kb/s download and 70kb/s upload.
That's the maximum to get in my area as there's no fancy fiberglass or anything.

Then again I'm not living in Tokyo but in a village with only 1000 inhabitants, surrounded by nothing but fields.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:32 am

The Internet controls itself by limiting upstream. Another person can only download off of you as fast as you can upload to them. When shopping for a boost in speed, I would always look at the upstream rather than down.

Ruldra
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Ruldra » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Internet around here is so shitty I had to give up playing online. My ping when playing FPSes was usually over 300 when everyone else had it under 20. When playing MMOs it was even worse.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:43 am

lordnikon wrote:The Internet controls itself by limiting upstream. Another person can only download off of you as fast as you can upload to them. When shopping for a boost in speed, I would always look at the upstream rather than down.

How much are you downloading P2P? This means nothing wen downloading from a proper file server, or with bittorrent. My upload stream hasn't changed in years, and my download speed gets visibly better all the time.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:27 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:How much are you downloading P2P? This means nothing wen downloading from a proper file server, or with bittorrent. My upload stream hasn't changed in years, and my download speed gets visibly better all the time.

Hmm, are you saying you think upstream limitations are irrelevant when downloading from servers/bittorent?

My comment about upstream was saying that the Internet as a whole controls cost by keeping upstream capped. The more upstream you have, the more downstream another user can consume if they are downloading from you. That is why yours and everyone elses upstream remains unchanged. They can't afford to increase everyone's upstream because bandwidth usage could balloon out of control.

I personally shop for faster upstreams because I upload files frequently to webservers or other locations. Just uploading a pak file for Q3 that is roughly 400+mb can take hours.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:08 am

My point was that people rarely download files directly from me. The only thing my upstream really affects is Bit Torrents stuff (which is far less relevant since you're usually not the only seeder) and files to the gamengai server, which are tiny. And I guess JPGs my dad downloads from my machine, but my upstream is faster than his down.

I know what you're saying, I'm just saying it's the average Joe's upstream doesn't affect me (or most people) as the majority of downloading isn't done from them.

My upload is unchangd for years, but it's still 10Mb. The fact is, most people don't really care about their upstream.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:33 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:The fact is, most people don't really care about their upstream.

Yea very true

Sparky
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Sparky » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:02 am

T-Mobile should be rolling out HSPA 7.2Mbps by 2010 throughout the US. Luckily I live in an area that should be part of this upgrade so I may be able take advantage of this when I tether G1 to my laptop.

So far I get about 1Mbps when I tether on the current 3G network.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:01 pm

I'm pretty surprised it's this high, although not being able to download torrents anymore kind of prevents me from fully enjoying these speeds.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:06 pm

You have NTT DSL? Why can't you download torrents?

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:14 pm

No idea, but it's very likely something I'm doing. One day they just stopped working. I uninstalled and reinstalled the newest version of bittorrent, and to my knowledge wasn't doing anything different and hadn't installed any other programs that may have affected it, and still it won't connect. I gave up then a few months later decided to try it out again and still nothing.

Kinda blows but at least I can pirate through megaupload and rapidshare.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:12 pm

Out here in sticks of Shiga-ken:
Stronger then your average deadite

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:11 pm

haha gotta take that speedtest when i get home.. ill post it up here, prepare to laugh guys :P
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Ruldra
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Ruldra » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:54 pm

Kaneda wrote:No idea, but it's very likely something I'm doing. One day they just stopped working. I uninstalled and reinstalled the newest version of bittorrent, and to my knowledge wasn't doing anything different and hadn't installed any other programs that may have affected it, and still it won't connect. I gave up then a few months later decided to try it out again and still nothing.

Kinda blows but at least I can pirate through megaupload and rapidshare.

Sounds like a blocked port. Did you try messing with your router to allow access to the bittorrent port?

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:54 pm

yeah.. sweden rocks! ;)
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:57 am

Kaneda: certain ports need to be opened (at least for them to connect to you). Would suck if NTT blocked your outgoing ports though.

zapeipaa
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby zapeipaa » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:30 pm

Something's not right here. Upload bar finish pretty fast but nothing happens for an hour or so.

Return to “Everything Else”