Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 11, 2010 11:37 pm

Anyone watching this? It's on Discovery now. Not sure how long it will run... I'm guessing 5-6 episodes. Anyways, I watched the first one: Aliens.

In short, I think The BBC's Wonders of the Solar System, while limited to our local neighborhood, had way better CGI and is a bit more artsy which is kind of expected of them. This one is more abstract, with Hawking speaking his mind (unfortunately by proxy 95% of the time) on possibilities in the Universe. If you google around for the show you'll see most reviews and articles quoting him as saying, "there are probably aliens out there, and we should do our best to avoid them."

Definitely worth a watch.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

SuperPang
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby SuperPang » Thu May 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Its on my planner.

I really enjoyed "Wonders" actually. Really basic stuff for the most part but the presenter's enthusiasm (nice bloke) and the shows cool graphics made up for it. There was one animation of the seasons early on that impressed me for example, primary school stuff but they didn't have CGI when I was at school. :D There was also some interesting stuff on moons and planets that get largely overlooked as we ponder beyond the milky way. We really are a complete fluke of the laws of physics. Don't fancy living on any of those planets.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri May 14, 2010 12:32 am

SuperPang wrote:We really are a complete fluke of the laws of physics. Don't fancy living on any of those planets.

Indeed... the whole pondering of "the Goldie Locks zone", and now knowing there's not only a local one to your star, but also a larger one in terms of your position in your galaxy is just crazy. I need a 3 foot bong just to comprehend it.

Hoewever, considering it's hardly possible for a man to fully grasp the size of the Milky Way (100,000 light years in diameter), much less the observable universe, I think it's really short sighted to go so far as "a fluke". Locally, yes, but we've basically only examined a few grains of sand on the beach.

Wicked stuff. Really challenges your brain in a relaxing way.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Dragoforce
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking

Postby Dragoforce » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:20 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Wonders of the Solar System

I was searching my way through tons of diffrent torrent sites looking for Mysteries of the solar which you mentioned on the shmups forum. It's the same series right?

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Have to see if I can't find this streaming somewhere.

Got the Wii Netflix disc a while back, which means I can actually sprawl on the couch to watch streaming movies and TV shows, instead of being stuck uncomfortably in front of the computer. I was really excited to see Carl Sagan's Cosmos show up on the 'Play Instantly' list in all its 80's-fantastic glory.
You also distaste me with passion!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:42 pm

Dragoforce wrote:I was searching my way through tons of diffrent torrent sites looking for Mysteries of the solar which you mentioned on the shmups forum. It's the same series right?

Dunno. Mine just says "Wonders". It's BBC, and not out on disc yet I believe, so you may have some trouble finding it if it's a site that doesn't specialize in tv.

Dragoforce
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Dragoforce » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:47 pm

Well I found some episodes of Wonder (at least thats what the filename says, haven't actually looked at them yet)

Space narrated by Sam Neil is quite good as well. I took a short course in astronomy at uni a few years ago and my teacher there recomended it to us. It's a bit over-simplifying at times, but a good watch. Released on DVD as well.

Return to “Everything Else”