TV

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

TV

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:06 pm

This is really where I'm spending most of my free time these days. Yeah, I know, it's for the lazy, but I'm generally so freakin' jacked mentally after a days work (and hopefully physically from the gym) that it's way easier to unwind w/ the laptop in bed rather than w/ a game.

Shit that's awesome:
-Lost addict, and I liked the ending
-Breaking Bad: Holy shit. Best TV show on right now.
-Battlestar Galactica: Late to the party. Just finished it. Rocked.
-I watched last few seasons of 24 just out of pure commitment. Anyone see that episode of Curb your Enthusiasm where Larry tells someone he has friends he can't stand b/c "he's in it 'til the end!"?
-Dexter: Just started. Sick, and good.

That's all I can think of now.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:59 am

All I watch on tv these days is sport. Formula 1 and all fight sports in general, though mostly pro wrestling and kickboxing (the Australian kickboxing scene is awesome). I'm also a big mma fan though the modern UFC bores me shitless a lot of the time, with essentially everyone training now is the same UFC style of mostly grappling and some striking. K1 Dynamite is probably the best mma event currently around, ever since Pride was bought out.

Yes I called pro wrestling a sport, lets see if anyone starts that debate with me again :)
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:02 pm

The Shield

Ruldra
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Ruldra » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:11 pm

JoshF wrote:The Shield

Came here to post this. Awesome cop show.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:14 am

Just watched 24 Season 6 myself....a bit anti-climatic...ordered Redemption and Season 7 Blu-ray.

Also watched the BSG pilot episodes on HD-DVD recently and decided to buy the Blu-ray box.

Will need to have all of this shipped from my parent's house though...
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 am

Shou wrote:Just watched 24 Season 6 myself....a bit anti-climatic...ordered Redemption and Season 7 Blu-ray.

Season 6 is bar none the worst season... they even admitted it. They step things up in 7 and 8, but honestly, by 5, they had done everything there was to do, I thought. I watched the last 3 out of dedication more than entertainment.

Also watched the BSG pilot episodes on HD-DVD recently and decided to buy the Blu-ray box.

Great show. Sometimes slow, sometimes on the edge of your seat. I can't talk about the best episodes or I'll spoil it. I can say that there was no Jae Park full frontal scene which I had been hoping for. :(

The Shield: I should probably check it out. Anyone ever watch The Wire? It kind of ruins all other cop shows for you. So gritty.

Can't believe nobody here watches Breaking Bad. It's better than most movies. Buy the BluRays, Shou. Great investment.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Ruldra
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Ruldra » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:59 am

TV Tropes mentions The Shield as the hyperactive counterpart of The Wire, by the way. It really shows how bad it is to work as a cop.

Summary:

"The central focus of the show is corrupt detective Vic Mackey and the elite anti-gang task force known as "The Strike Team" that he leads. Tasked with the monumental job of keeping the streets of Farmington safe from drug dealers and gang members, Mackey and his subordinates within the close-knitted team generally go about their task with violent efficiency and the occasional act of police corruption.

The group creates Faustian deals with the criminal elements within Farmington, giving them free reign to run the drug trade within the city in exchange for bribes, intel on other gang members, and a promise to keep their illegal antics at a reasonable level so as to ensure the illusion of peace within the warzone that is Farmington.

Common themes in the show are the citizens' distrust of police, the social impact of drugs and gang warfare, and the conflict between ethics and political expediency."

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:27 am

Sounds cool. Will check it out.

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Re: TV

Postby undamned » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I'm generally so freakin' jacked mentally after a days work (and hopefully physically from the gym) that it's way easier to unwind w/ the laptop in bed rather than w/ a game.

To unwind after each day's unpacking-after-moving, my wife and I have been watching our old "Psych" episodes. Such a fun show. Great references to old pop culture that folks younger than us wouldn't realize they should be laughing at.

If you haven't seen it, it's a show about a guy who is a fake psychic for the Santa Monica Police Dept. He's really just very perceptive, but he plays it off like he's psychic. He drags his best friend on all these crazy cases and it's just a fun and fairly innocent show.
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:54 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Season 6 is bar none the worst season... they even admitted it. They step things up in 7 and 8, but honestly, by 5, they had done everything there was to do, I thought. I watched the last 3 out of dedication more than entertainment.

From my memory, I think 4 was equally as bad? Always thought 1 and 2 were the best with 5 being decent. Not sure if I would double dip when the inevitable BRs hit.

Can't believe nobody here watches Breaking Bad. It's better than most movies. Buy the BluRays, Shou. Great investment.

Never heard of it but I just bought them online...they better be good!
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:16 am

Shou wrote:Never heard of it but I just bought them online...they better be good!

Never met anyone that didn't think it was anything less than stelllar. This season (3) is fucking wicked as well!

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:07 pm

I don't get cable or anything, so my TV watching is either streamed from Netflix/Hulu or when shows finally hit DVD, so I'm a bit behind the curve. That said, the wife and I enjoyed the hell out of the first two seasons of Big Bang Theory. It really left an impression on me from the first episode, because it's a show about nerds written by nerds, and they've obviously done their research on the science and tech jokes in a way.

This one's even older and probably been seen by everyone who would appreciate it, but we're currently making our way through the first season of My Name is Earl. What really strikes me about the show is the humor on it could be a lot meaner and each episode's dilemma much more contrived, but the writers knew just when enough was enough. Plus, Jason Lee just cracks me up in anything he does.

Got a massive 20-some disc Monty Python's Flying Circus collection for the wife a while back, and it constantly amazes me just how brilliant a lot of their material was, even today. Getting into the second and third seasons there are a few episodes that fall flat, but a lot of them still hold up well to the stuff you see today, if not outright surpass them.

And it would be remiss of me to not mention Firefly in a thread about TV shows; it's one that gets re-watched in regular intervals in this house. If you haven't seen it you're really missing out on something unique.
You also distaste me with passion!

brentsg
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby brentsg » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:26 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:
Shou wrote:Never heard of it but I just bought them online...they better be good!

Never met anyone that didn't think it was anything less than stelllar. This season (3) is fucking wicked as well!

I've been watching season 1 of Breaking Bad and I like it. The show starts kinda slow imo but it's really good. I'm not as compulsive with it as I am with Dexter though.

I've been trolling for new TV lately too. Working a few big projects at work and I'm too wiped for games. Been playing a couple of the lego games on xbox and that's about the limit of my current ability.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:38 am

SPOILER

SPOILER

I think BB is far grittier, and even darker than Dexter... at least the humor is. But, the clencher for me is the intensity. The story arch in the first season where he was trying to find any reason he could to not kill that guy was nuts. Hadn't been that paranoid since I watched Deer Hunter high as a kite in college.

I've enjoyed the balls out of Dexter as well though.

Khan
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Khan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:02 pm

Ive had this thing where im watching alot of oldies, things like "Everybody loves raymond" and episodes of "Centurions" the cartoon I downloaded off youtube reminds me of the good old days of TV instead of were left with big brother and the rest of these judges and reality tv shows...modern TV sucks :whack:

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:53 am

I've managed to snag the first few episodes of season 6 of Futurama, and was relieved to see that the break apparently didn't hurt the writers at all--the show's back in full force, with an energy about it that hadn't been there since the second season or so. I'm on the fence whether it's this or Big Bang Theory that's the better comedy for the sci-fi nerd.
You also distaste me with passion!

brentsg
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby brentsg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:38 am

Just read that the star and co-star of Breaking Bad swept the best actor/supporting actor in a drama series at the Emmy's tonight. That's pretty bad-ass.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:55 am

Indeed it was. I'm in the states now so got to watch it at work. Watching Brian Cranston in real life -- he's nothing like Walter White, which is another reason why he deserves the award so much. And, Aaron Paul as well was quite deserving for the supporting actor award. Makes sense they both got it, as the gem of the show is the dichotomy by the two.

BTW, that's his 3rd time in a row to take that award for that character! He went up against Dexter as well.

brentsg
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby brentsg » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:24 am

I suppose tossing this here is ok.

Did anyone watch and enjoy Band of Brothers? If not you should.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/10/obit.d ... tml?hpt=C2

RIP Mr. Winters.. :(

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:03 am

Never did. I know I should, and suck for not doing so. :/
This last season of Dexter was awesome, btw.

brentsg
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby brentsg » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:05 am

I watched the first seasons of Dexter like a madman.

This most recent season really made me struggle. I'll prob elaborate later, but I fast-forwarded thru a few about 2/3 through.

Also, I was thinking we should have a party if I ever reach 50 posts.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:38 pm

brentsg wrote:Also, I was thinking we should have a party if I ever reach 50 posts.

Hell yeah -- w/ trannies and go go dancers.

selinagames231
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby selinagames231 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:17 am

Dexter is really a nice TV show...But i am great fan of Dragon Ball Z...I am waiting for its next show....can any one tell me...???

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Finished watching Seasons 1-2 of Fringe, enjoyed them even if it's very comic book like at times. Japan is way behind so I'll have to wait for the Season 3 BD box before I can continue.
become history

SuperPang
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby SuperPang » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Fringe is my favourite TV show, I think it's better than The X Files.

Also Dexter, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, True Blood.

And, guilty pleasure time, I just started watching Spartacus Gods Of The Arena :D I started watching Blood & Sand out of curiosity after hearing about the OTT gore and tits but really got into it by the end. I'm trying to introduce the expression "Jupiter's Cock!" into my daily vocabulary.

Return to “Everything Else”