Was Mortal Kombat ever popular in Japan?

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

xorthen
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Was Mortal Kombat ever popular in Japan?

Postby xorthen » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:57 am

Just wondering since it was a US game if it was ever popular or sold well in the Japanese market.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:18 am

Not really. It was one of those "so bad it's good" type of deals. But, there were ports and whatnot, so you could consider it a cult game of sorts.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:55 am

what about killer instinct?

KI1 and MK2 are proboably two of my alltime fighter faves.. great games and well balanced for VS play in my very amateuristic opinion..
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:36 am

In the booklet for the INH Raiden DVD one of the Raiden champs says he prefers playing with a Mortal Kombat lever, by which he means an American ("dildo"-type) stick. These sticks are called Mortal Kombat level because apparently Midway exported MK woodies to Japan, so that's how people got to know them. The booklet mentions that for whatever reason the Tokyo Disneyland arcade had all its machines imported from the US, so Japanese arcade otaku used to go there to play Western games, or to check out different versions and Western cabs.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:28 pm

That seems like a horribly inefficient system. Especially since Disney, believe it or not, is not synonymous with America... so to speak.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:13 am

sven666 wrote:what about killer instinct?

KI1 and MK2 are proboably two of my alltime fighter faves.. great games and well balanced for VS play in my very amateuristic opinion..

Taito had an early deal with Midway and they released NBA Jam and MK1, neither did well. MK2 didn't make it past location test. The console MK ports were censored with green blood in Japan and generally laughed at. There was a niche popularity resurgence over the last few years with gamers who play Western stuff but they obviously are playing for the stupidty factor and not the system. There was an embarassingly bad tourney held in Roppongi a few years back by Arcadia where they invited a blind boy from the US who apparently was good at MK Deadly Alliance (I believe) and pitted him against champs of various fighters (Chibita, KSK, etc) in MK:DA. This was actually televised and advertised this as a blind American boy owns Japanese champions (who've never played the game in their lives). Search Youtube and you can find it.

KI has never been released in Japan (any format, any installment). Suffice to say, it's not popular at all.
become history

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:50 am

sven666 wrote:

Right on. I still think Mortal Kombat 2 is the best fighting game ever made. I still play it on my PS3 from time to time (it's actually the only game I play on my PS3). I used to love KI in the arcades way back in the day, but I don't see myself playing it again unless Rare ports it to XBLA or something.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:31 pm

The Mortal Kombat series rocks the casbah, 2 and 3 in particular simultaneous have both an amazing dark atmosphere and of course the hilarious humor. I am also one of the people that think they are great just as competitive fighting games 2, especially UMK3.

The 3d titles of the past decade obviously aren't as memorable as the first 3 games, but I still played them because I love the characters and the world of MK and will play pretty much anything with the license attached to it haha.

The newest game in the series is looking incredibly awesome though, amazing artistic direction with just so much attention to detail, and of course the return to 2d mechanics.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:19 pm

I always saw the Mortal Kombat titles as evidence that America could replicate the kusoge genre with a domestic twist.
You also distaste me with passion!

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:08 am

New show with Joshf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOni3kaw ... r_embedded

I love the cock cam at 1:23
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:54 pm

Haha that would be hilarious if it was him.

The new Mortal Kombat is going to be better than Street Fighter 4. MARK MY WORDS.

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:02 pm

JoshF wrote:The new Mortal Kombat is going to be better than Street Fighter 4. MARK MY WORDS.

I would not be upset in any way if this became true.
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:53 am

EOJ wrote:Mortal Kombat 2 is the best fighting game ever made

I'm preheating the stake as we speak.

Limbrooke
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Limbrooke » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Shou wrote:
sven666 wrote:what about killer instinct?

Taito had an early deal with Midway and they released NBA Jam and MK1, neither did well. MK2 didn't make it past location test. The console MK ports were censored with green blood in Japan and generally laughed at. There was a niche popularity resurgence over the last few years with gamers who play Western stuff but they obviously are playing for the stupidty factor and not the system. There was an embarassingly bad tourney held in Roppongi a few years back by Arcadia where they invited a blind boy from the US who apparently was good at MK Deadly Alliance (I believe) and pitted him against champs of various fighters (Chibita, KSK, etc) in MK:DA. This was actually televised and advertised this as a blind American boy owns Japanese champions (who've never played the game in their lives). Search Youtube and you can find it.

KI has never been released in Japan (any format, any installment). Suffice to say, it's not popular at all.

Yeah, the full version isn't on youtube and I had a hell of a time finding this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qQm-qUruAY

I would like to see the full version although that seems to be a job for a time machine at this point.

Return to “Everything Else”