Technics discontiues the SL-1200

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Technics discontiues the SL-1200

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:15 am

Metropolis posted a quick & dirty article giving a well-deserved nod to the Technics SL-1200 (and all it's iterations). While the news isn't hot off the presses, it's a topic that us video game dorks of old can understand. I think the lack of arcades and 2D games in general is a bit more brutal honesty, but it's basically the same thing: the music being made now is not analogue at it's source. The relevancy of having everything on vinyl has gone the same way the SL-1200 is about to.

Give the article a read. It is pretty good, and touches topics we've just hit in the Ketsui/DOJ/MAME thread: the new generation will basically no know what it's like learning on these things... what to do when the fucking needle gets stuck, sifting through crate after crate at the record store, and how to properly take care of fragile vinyl.

As someone who has used equipment of old and new, I can name loads of reasons why the shift in technology is a good one. But deep down, I like going to clubs and seeing people bust out records. It's rare, but I went to 3 parties last weekend... 2 of which featured vinyl DJs. Only one of them was actually playing new stuff though. O_O
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:56 am

Am I crazy, or hasn't this been discontinued for a while now? I could have sworn I saw this announced early this year or even last. Or maybe that was something to do with a major shift in the Technics brand. Who can say.
You also distaste me with passion!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:55 am

Greatsaintlouis wrote:Am I crazy, or hasn't this been discontinued for a while now? I could have sworn I saw this announced early this year or even last. Or maybe that was something to do with a major shift in the Technics brand. Who can say.

People have presumed the demise was near... for years. It wasn't until I believe October that Technics officially said it was over. They are no longer in production.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:29 am

My 1200's are still working in top form since I got them over a decade ago.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:48 am

If you use them in the home only they will probably last longer than you need. This particular pair were dragged to clubs for a short time, which no doubt didn't help.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:04 am

I don't know a damn thing about the DJing hobby/biz, but I think vinyl is hardly on the way out. It really seems to be enjoying a bit of a resurgence here in America, where record sales are actually the one aspect of the music industry that isn't completely tanking. A good amount of new releases (obviously not your Top 40 crap, but who listens to that?) have a vinyl edition to go along with CD and digital download, and 180g remasters of older releases are everywhere. It seems like the more niche the label or musical style, the better chance you have of finding records. I'd blame all the fucking hipsters, but this is actually a trend I can get behind. As far as straight consumer listening goes, it's anywhere but gone.

I'd hazard a guess that in the DJing scene, there will always be 'purists' who try and work with vinyl. Sure, computers may offer an easier point of entry, but as I think the chiptune/lo-fi scene proves a point: with the Internet, enough people with a (real or affected) love for the old style will find each other to ensure it won't die out completely (or they'll completely remake it into something else). Technical hobbies such as these gather all manner of DIY repairnerds and modders, and if Polaroid/The Impossible Project have shown us anything, it's that if you get enough fanboys behind a shitty discontinued media (Polaroid, not vinyl), you can ensure it lives on long after the manufacturer ceased caring.

This is all idle speculation, of course, but I wouldn't go looking for your funeral clothes just yet.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:24 am

Greatsaintlouis wrote:I don't know a damn thing about the DJing hobby/biz, but I think vinyl is hardly on the way out.

It's the same as sprite-based games. If you're an afficianodo you can get them, but they take work. The club culture is what kept vinyl alive for the last 2 decades (at least the last one and a half) but the fact is not that much of it's coming out on vinyl now. When I started the hobby, you couldn't get 99% of the tracks on anything but vinyl. Now only a handful are actually put out on vinyl. The music is also not created entirely (if any at all) w/ analogue synths any more so the validity of the "vinyl sounds better" argument is going south. To put it into perspective, only one of the 5 or 6 new record stores Shibuya used to have has survived. There are is another mainly used record shop which still has some new releases (and more importantly, DJ gear to stay above water). Cisco had a corner w/ 4 stores -- all gone.

I'd hazard a guess that in the DJing scene, there will always be 'purists' who try and work with vinyl.

The problem is fewer and fewer places have vinyl decks. Any major club will, but the small venues may not. A small place I play in from time to time has 2 decks on the main floor but the lounge only has CDJs.

This is all idle speculation, of course, but I wouldn't go looking for your funeral clothes just yet.

The problem is the cost. Vinyl is really expensive to make and transport. A majority of labels now are digital only b/c they're running on an amazingly thin budget.

emphatic
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby emphatic » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:32 am

What about other cool stuff that kids today are missing out on? Like when you're out walking with you Sony Walkman, and the battery starts to wear out causing Prince's falsetto in "Kiss" sound like Barry White?

I only have one 1210 (my other deck is a Numark) but I'm glad it just got teh R@REZ.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:23 am

emphatic wrote:Like when you're out walking with you Sony Walkman, and the battery starts to wear out causing Prince's falsetto in "Kiss" sound like Barry White?

I think I speak for everyone when I say we all miss those days dearly--not only the days when people listened to music on a Walkman, but when people listened to Prince as well.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:18 am

I don't miss fast-forwarding and rewinding at all (even though I do on my mp3 players for mixes that aren't track-broken). But, seriously, I miss nothing about tape. It was around when I was young, but I had no need for it until about middle school when my mom had a tape deck in the car. Still had plenty of vinyl. I believe Thriller was one of my first... Alvin and the Chipmunks were in there as well.

But, I mean that whole, "this generation will miss..." stuff is hardly new. Every facet of pop culture and technology has it, and always have. I'm sure even the Cavemen used to grunt about it in some form or another. I wonder if someone ever really had a problem with the invention of the wheel.

Return to “Everything Else”