2010: A Thread in Reflection

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

2010: A Thread in Reflection

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:18 am

How the fuck did I not know Irvin Kershner died? Bummer. Sounds like Empire viewing time. I guess the most shocking things for me personally are seeing Don't Ask Don't Tell being repealed, and decriminalization of marijuana actually making it to a ballot in the states.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:49 am

Dio
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re: 2010: A Thread in Reflection

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:28 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:How the fuck did I not know Irvin Kershner died?

Because it was the same day Leslie Nielsen died. Empire is a science fiction classic, but Kershner won't really be remembered for the rest of his output. The next best film was Robocop 2, which... yeah.

I'm trying to think of anything that really stood out for me one way or another this year, but it was generally a pretty bland and forgettable stretch punctuated by various disappointments. Hey, Mario turned 25!

Don't Ask Don't Tell is a pretty major step, but I'll be surprised if the change isn't in name only for at least a few more years. This is, after all, the military, where it's been argued that openly gay servicemen/women would somehow reduce morale and the effectiveness of the fighting force. With their gay waves, or something.

Would have liked to see the marijuana bill pass in California and set a precedent, if for no other reason than to kill the obnoxious American sense of cleverness that kids get when they light up and feel like they're getting away with something, when the truth is that most people just don't give a damn anymore. Would be nice to see Oregon's sham medical program put out of business, too--it's a fucking joke that's so wink-wink-nudge-nudge I'm surprised the whole thing is still in operation.
You also distaste me with passion!

Return to “Everything Else”