Tokyoites, need info please.

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Tokyoites, need info please.

Postby SuperDeadite » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:22 am

Ok so I'm meeting the folks in Hawaii over Golden Week.
I was able to get a decently priced flight by using KIX->Haneda->Hawaii.
But on the return trip, I land in Haneda at 10:30pm, and the connecting flight to Osaka leaves at 7:30am the next morning. :yuck:

I'd like to just take the Shinkansen home that night (Need to get to Maibara Station) and fuck spending the night in the airport. But is that doable? Land at 10:30, and catch the last train?

Originally I thought I'd just say screw Osaka and take the Shinkansen straight to Tokyo. But when I cut out the Osaka-Haneda flights the price actually went up by over 30,000yen. Less flights = more expensive. Seriously, fuck air travel. :(
Stronger then your average deadite

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: Tokyoites, need info please.

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:57 am

SuperDeadite wrote:Ok so I'm meeting the folks in Hawaii over Golden Week.
I was able to get a decently priced flight by using KIX->Haneda->Hawaii.
But on the return trip, I land in Haneda at 10:30pm, and the connecting flight to Osaka leaves at 7:30am the next morning. :yuck:

I'd like to just take the Shinkansen home that night (Need to get to Maibara Station) and fuck spending the night in the airport. But is that doable? Land at 10:30, and catch the last train?

Originally I thought I'd just say screw Osaka and take the Shinkansen straight to Tokyo. But when I cut out the Osaka-Haneda flights the price actually went up by over 30,000yen. Less flights = more expensive. Seriously, fuck air travel. :(

Yeah, it's bullshit. Anyway... the last Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka is WELL before 10:30. Maybe even 8:00 PM. So that's out. Your only real option is over night bus. I've never ridden one, but apparently you will want to kill small children when you get off of it.

If you want the cheapest method:
-Check your bags somewhere at Haneda.
-Go to Akihabara or the like
-Stay in an internet cafe or adult video cafe. 3000 yen for the night tops, and you can sleep.
-Go back to the airport around first train (5AM).
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:15 am

I did night bus from Tokyo to Nagoya (you're obviously going a bit farther) once, and while it was hardly the most comfortable thing in the world, it was really really cheap. The cost was Y2500 or so, and the experience was like Greyhound only without the druggies and other assorted freaks. The only real annoyance was stopping every hour or so at one of those amazing rest areas Japan has--the driver turned on all the interior lights at each stop.

I recall this one left from Shinjuku at around 9:30 or 10pm, but there might be others with different schedules that work for your flight. It would definitely be cheaper and might put you home around the time your other options would be leaving, but don't expect a comfortable full night's sleep.
You also distaste me with passion!

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:36 am

Crap. Thanks for the info though. Where's a website for the Night Bus schedules? Might be the best way, you have to preregister in advance for it right?
Stronger then your average deadite

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:35 am

Yeah, you have to register in advance, but you do it online and print out your ticket or something like that, if I recall.

I took 123 Bus at the time, which has apparently been turned into Willer Travel. I like to think I used the Japanese version of their site when I was there, but hey! They do English too!

http://willerexpress.com/bus/pc/3/top/?mid=264
You also distaste me with passion!

kyuzo
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby kyuzo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:51 am

I took a night bus from Shinjuku to Fukui once (pretty comparable distance) and I liked it just fine. I don't remember stopping that many times, though they did wake us up pretty early (maybe 6 am or something?) at the rest stop. I did have to make a reservation but I seem to remember doing that after all the shinkansen were already full, so I'm guessing you have a decent amount of time left...

Return to “Everything Else”