I've had enough and am selling most of my stuff

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Re: I've had enough and am selling most of my stuff

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:23 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:There are douche bags all over the internet. As I get older, tolerating them becomes much harder. Mainly b/c it's hard to relate to them. I know a lot of us here are in our early late 30's and whatnot, so it's not as pronounced as some places. Shmups actually has a few older members. Assembler gets worse and worse as it goes. The older members bail out, and younger ones join. Anyway, one of the respectable members of shmups will be contacting you here in PM form, so, perhaps that helped a little.

I had this same coversation with one of my friends. I'm starting to see it a lot on the various forums. I still want to stay in the cab/pcb game for the long run, but I'm thinking about taking a time out with my upcoming project. I've abandoned some of the old game forums I used to frequent becuase its gotten bad.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:00 am

RadiantSvgun wrote:
Gaijin Punch wrote:There are douche bags all over the internet. As I get older, tolerating them becomes much harder. Mainly b/c it's hard to relate to them. I know a lot of us here are in our early late 30's and whatnot, so it's not as pronounced as some places. Shmups actually has a few older members. Assembler gets worse and worse as it goes. The older members bail out, and younger ones join. Anyway, one of the respectable members of shmups will be contacting you here in PM form, so, perhaps that helped a little.

I had this same coversation with one of my friends. I'm starting to see it a lot on the various forums. I still want to stay in the cab/pcb game for the long run, but I'm thinking about taking a time out with my upcoming project. I've abandoned some of the old game forums I used to frequent becuase its gotten bad.

The guy's argument was that I shouldn't give money to a football team because what are they going to do for me in the future. Do I even need to argue against that logic?

Yeah, I'm fed up with the nonsense on many forums. Here we all seem to be sensible adults who can have a straightforward conversation. I've been thinking for a while now of a list of things that drive me bananas on the Internet:

1. There's a search function, use it. There are search engines, use them.
2. Stupid lists, like 'Lists of games which feature screwdrivers dressed as Santa Claus'
3. Believe it or not, your opinion is worthless to people who matter. Some people really believe for instance that football coaches and players read the forums looking for tips on tactics etc. Are these people for real?
4. "You're selling that game for $100 yen but one sold last week for 5,000 yen on Yahoo Auctions". So why didn't you buy that one then? Is it because you don't live in Japan and can't read Japanese? It's a different market, dude. You can buy a meal in a poor country for a lot less than in a rich one, or is that news to you too?
5. The exchange rate for buying from Japan is horrendous. This isn't news. This happened in 2008. Did you miss it?
6. Posting a genuine question that's quite obscure but you know there may be an expert out there who can help. You wait ages and then finally there's a reply from some guy: "I never head of that machine, good luck finding the answer". Was it absolutely necessary to answer?
7. "I'm so poor, I can't even afford new Cave PCB releases". You are not poor.
8. So I'm selling this stuff now, and on another forum I have a guy who wants expensive games, ok, but he has to see if he can raise the money... don't ask to buy if you can't pay now. How difficult is that concept? Another guy wanted a game back in January, pestered me endlessly about it. Then didn't have the money. Still hasn't paid.
9. "I didn't know that game was a bootleg", maybe the fact it's called Frog and not Frogger might have clued you in. Now I'm stuck with it.
10. Absurd one-upmanship. What the hell do I care about the CPS-Changer?

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:44 am

haha great list :D
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Not much to say, other then just do what feels right. Only one life after all. :)
Stronger then your average deadite

cools
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby cools » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:12 pm

A lean library that gets used irregularly > fat library that gets used irregularly.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:03 am

Some advice for everyone that amasses huge collections then realizes they never actually play anything or care about half the stuff - just use emulators and only physically buy games you really want! hehhehe :P

Most of my space taken up by games is from Western PC games from the late 90's and early 2000's in those huge boxes, which I was buying as I grew up. Most games aren't worth more than 20 bucks though with a few exceptions (Daggerfall, etc) so when I wanna sell a load of the shit it wont be that much of a hassle to try get decent money. These days I don't care about lots of the stuff, but I'm still a fanatic of all the city building stuff and some of the weird European games, so I would only really keep those.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:46 am

Macaw wrote:Some advice for everyone that amasses huge collections then realizes they never actually play anything or care about half the stuff - just use emulators and only physically buy games you really want! hehhehe :P

Most of my space taken up by games is from Western PC games from the late 90's and early 2000's in those huge boxes, which I was buying as I grew up. Most games aren't worth more than 20 bucks though with a few exceptions (Daggerfall, etc) so when I wanna sell a load of the shit it wont be that much of a hassle to try get decent money. These days I don't care about lots of the stuff, but I'm still a fanatic of all the city building stuff and some of the weird European games, so I would only really keep those.

I think most of the PCBs I'll be keeping will be those that can't be emulated properly or need special hardware for the real experience, so that's Out Run, Space Harrier, Power Drift, Super Hang-On (lots of Sega in other words), Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters, Midnight Resistance, Arkanoid and so on, as well as all the other games I actually played when young, mostly late 80's stuff.

I got into the X68000 because it was like my first IBM compatible, which was an 8086 machine with no hard drive, CGA graphics, awful PC speaker. Those were the days, gentlemen! So the X68000 with its 5.25" drives, DOS, GEM like environment was much the same, only about 100 times faster and bit far superior graphics and sound.

I'll also keep my Spectrum stuff, I've had it for over 25 years and it's what I always come back to. Even when I had my MSX Turbo-R I just used it to play Spectrum conversions.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:45 am

Moving from the US to Japan really opened my eyes to just how much useless crap--game related and otherwise--I've been clinging to for the past 10 years or so. During the preparations for the move I was able to jettison a fair amount of the game stuff--sold some of it on eBay, sent a large amount of it to Goodwill in one of the many purges. At one time, my collection was a thing to be proud of, and I think I actually was able to give a fair amount of time to a large number of my titles, but I really think I'm starting to grow out of that phase (something my younger self would never have thought possible). Coming over here I brought my DS and PSP, (each with a few decent JRPGs that should occupy me for a while) and my PC, with a number of digitally purchased games or disk images on the drive. The only things that made the cut were ones that I stand a good chance of actually playing.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to trim the collection (along with other possessions) as much as I wanted, so a large amount of it is boxed up and living in my parents' basement or the in-laws' storage shed. I'm hoping that a few years will give me an even better perspective on the necessity of all that junk, and I hope that when I return I'll be able to just toss, sell, or give away an even larger amount, hopefully bolstered by the inevitable "Huh, I forgot I even had that" realization. Emphatic's Fight Club quote on the first page is something that's really been resonating with me a lot in the past few years. It might just be one of those things that comes with approaching 30--you want fewer things in your life which mean more to you, rather than a huge number that don't really hold much meaning.

No point to this ramble, I guess, just my two cents in support of Magic Knight's purging operation, which sounds like it represents a much larger investment of both time and money than my collection back in the States.
You also distaste me with passion!

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:04 am

Greatsaintlouis wrote:Moving from the US to Japan really opened my eyes to just how much useless crap--game related and otherwise--I've been clinging to for the past 10 years or so. During the preparations for the move I was able to jettison a fair amount of the game stuff--sold some of it on eBay, sent a large amount of it to Goodwill in one of the many purges. At one time, my collection was a thing to be proud of, and I think I actually was able to give a fair amount of time to a large number of my titles, but I really think I'm starting to grow out of that phase (something my younger self would never have thought possible). Coming over here I brought my DS and PSP, (each with a few decent JRPGs that should occupy me for a while) and my PC, with a number of digitally purchased games or disk images on the drive. The only things that made the cut were ones that I stand a good chance of actually playing.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to trim the collection (along with other possessions) as much as I wanted, so a large amount of it is boxed up and living in my parents' basement or the in-laws' storage shed. I'm hoping that a few years will give me an even better perspective on the necessity of all that junk, and I hope that when I return I'll be able to just toss, sell, or give away an even larger amount, hopefully bolstered by the inevitable "Huh, I forgot I even had that" realization. Emphatic's Fight Club quote on the first page is something that's really been resonating with me a lot in the past few years. It might just be one of those things that comes with approaching 30--you want fewer things in your life which mean more to you, rather than a huge number that don't really hold much meaning.

No point to this ramble, I guess, just my two cents in support of Magic Knight's purging operation, which sounds like it represents a much larger investment of both time and money than my collection back in the States.

I moved from Ireland to the UK, then to New Zealand, then back to Ireland, once again to the UK, back to Ireland and eventually to Japan. On my last stint in the UK, I was there for about seven months and was unemployed. I had just a bed, radio and my father's very old laptop. No TV, Internet or phone. I used just to sit on the bed during the day playing on emulators, listening to the radio, reading the paper, go for a walk now and then. I quite enjoyed it looking back. Didn't need lots of stuff.

On the finding games you didn't know you had front, I've read articles about games and thought, wow that sounds great I must check it out, so I buy it and enjoy it, and then look at my ebay purchases spreadsheet and find that I already owned this game years ago, I just never played it. Happens all the time. Maybe it's just me. I once climbed up to Ljubljana Castle in Slovenia and only when I got there did I realise I'd already been there, about two or three years before. My mind absolutely blanked the entire experience.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Magic Knight wrote:I'll also keep my Spectrum stuff, I've had it for over 25 years and it's what I always come back to. Even when I had my MSX Turbo-R I just used it to play Spectrum conversions.

That reminds me, i'm curious but never really looked into it, but whats the spectrum scene like in regards to game rarity and value? It still blows my mind browsing the world of spectrum site just how many games were released on the computer, and there is just so much super obscure stuff that surely didn't have more than a few hundred units produced, or so I'm guessing.

The biggest stand out for me though on the system is the spectrum version of Myth, far cooler than the other versions that completely changed the stages and bosses.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:56 pm

Macaw wrote:
Magic Knight wrote:I'll also keep my Spectrum stuff, I've had it for over 25 years and it's what I always come back to. Even when I had my MSX Turbo-R I just used it to play Spectrum conversions.

That reminds me, i'm curious but never really looked into it, but whats the spectrum scene like in regards to game rarity and value? It still blows my mind browsing the world of spectrum site just how many games were released on the computer, and there is just so much super obscure stuff that surely didn't have more than a few hundred units produced, or so I'm guessing.

The biggest stand out for me though on the system is the spectrum version of Myth, far cooler than the other versions that completely changed the stages and bosses.

Even the rarest Spectrum games don't go for much. Many games were written by guys at home and then sold directly that way, so there are only as many copies as those guys could get sold. So quite a number of the games on WOS were dumped by the original programmer. It's very easy to do, just connect up your tape player to your PC, I've done it with software I wrote in the 80's.

'Expensive' games I have are a complete Elite for £16, Night Shift for £10.50 (that's what I played constantly while unemployed in the UK), £21.80 for Nigel Mansell's World Championship, Cyberun was £11.20 and Ultimate the Collected Works was £26.52. Indeed it's the later Ultimate games that are the most expensive. But hardly major money. Average price for what I have here is £4.08.

The most expensive stuff is the early Interface II ROM cartridges, they're like £50+ each.

You've seen my blog post about getting my Spectrums working in Japan, right?
http://pcbiroiro.blogspot.jp/2012/01/ru ... japan.html

I've since also bought a joystick interface for it that was developed just this year. I then made my own adaptor for it so I can use my trusty Micom XE-1ST2 joystick with it. So the first time I ever used a joystick with my Spectrum was this year... same adaptor works on my Atari STE. I made a post about getting that to work over here too.

I have Myth here. It cost £2.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Hahaha damn, I guess no one really cares about getting physical copies of the games. I had never seen that blog post, cool stuff.

On a related note, do you have any knowledge on the dragon32? When I was researching it once it seemed to have the largest collection of cool looking games that were seemingly completely impossible to find.

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:56 pm

Macaw wrote:Hahaha damn, I guess no one really cares about getting physical copies of the games. I had never seen that blog post, cool stuff.

On a related note, do you have any knowledge on the dragon32? When I was researching it once it seemed to have the largest collection of cool looking games that were seemingly completely impossible to find.

Ah, the good old Dragon, made in Port Talbot, not far from where I lived in south Wales. It didn't last long. I think I got one in a job lot on ebay once, but they're not very widespread. Used a 6809. I don't know much else really.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:19 pm

Macaw wrote:Some advice for everyone that amasses huge collections then realizes they never actually play anything or care about half the stuff - just use emulators and only physically buy games you really want! hehhehe :P

After reading byuu's comments on emulator inaccuracies years back (that he later combined to form his popular SFC emulation article) and after experiencing firsthand that no emulation was a flawless substitute to the real deal for the game I compete in (Super Street Fighter II Turbo), I've no longer been able to tolerate emulation imperfections. I suppose it's my desire to experience a game as accurately to the released artistic vision as possible. For example, even if Disney created a replica Walt Disney World resort somewhere else with all the same attractions in the same setup, the atmosphere still wouldn't feel the same.

Emulation was an amazing gateway to games I had only dreamed of playing one day, but I feel dirty now not playing the games as the developers intended. With the means to get whatever game I'm really interested in playing, I avoid emulation whenever possible. I don't mind others skirting real hardware though; each person can set his own bar. However, there are 3 groups of people that I'm not a fan of when it comes to game piracy: ignorant folks who bash games for problems due to emulation errors or anti-piracy measures that they're not aware of, people who actively boast about pirating games, and insecure folks who try to morally justify their piracy habits.

Magic Knight wrote:On the finding games you didn't know you had front, I've read articles about games and thought, wow that sounds great I must check it out, so I buy it and enjoy it, and then look at my ebay purchases spreadsheet and find that I already owned this game years ago, I just never played it. Happens all the time. Maybe it's just me. I once climbed up to Ljubljana Castle in Slovenia and only when I got there did I realise I'd already been there, about two or three years before. My mind absolutely blanked the entire experience.

It's interesting that this forgetfulness seems to be the case for all connoisseurs. Once someone has so much breadth in one area, it's very difficult to remember details in all but the most personal experiences. It's especially hard to find a new high from an RPG after playing over a thousand since a lot of plot elements will seem very familiar.

I remember the shock I felt the first time I accidentally bought a game I already owned. I do have an inventory list but was so confident I didn't own the game that I didn't even bother checking. That unfortunately wasn't the last time I bought a duplicate but these mistakes have helped me consider my habits and slow down my purchases.

The main key to that has been in constraining the types of games I'll buy. There are specific genres I've realized over the years I'm interested in that I'm very hesitant to reach beyond. And there's very little before the 8-bit console era that I'm interested in. An intriguing game for $10 used to be an automatic buy for me, but now I don't even bother unless it's something I know I'll really enjoy.

One aspect I've always been sensitive to is physical space. To aid the whole "game experience," I only buy complete games, which doesn't help things. Arcade PCBs and computer games take up way too much space so I'm extra careful to limit games from those platforms to only those I really like. Space is probably my biggest deal right now since there are no large sunproof cabinets available to store games. It's incredibly inconvenient to have most everything in cardboard boxes.

One bad habit I have is that if I already own a few installments of a series, then I feel compelled to keep buying new cardinal (and sometimes gaiden) installments in the series. I'm still interested in the games but do wonder sometimes if I would purchase the game if it was called "Dream RPG" instead of "Final Fantasy X."

I'm glad I don't have perhaps the most infamous of collector bad habits though: buying expensive games for no reason other than to collect them. I've never felt a need to exclusively pursue a "collection;" I've only bought games I felt I could enjoy. A few folks also buy rare, expensive, but inferior ports, which I don't understand either. I'll take the original or most accurate version every time, sometimes with helpings from arrangements.

For a few years now, I've been thinking that if the video game industry turned in a direction I didn't like, I wouldn't be upset at all. There are enough classic games to enjoy.

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:56 pm

Ganelon wrote:However, there are 3 groups of people that I'm not a fan of when it comes to game piracy: ignorant folks who bash games for problems due to emulation errors or anti-piracy measures that they're not aware of, people who actively boast about pirating games, and insecure folks who try to morally justify their piracy habits.

Don't get me started. Watch this Power Drift review and see if you can resist smashing your monitor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lHHlZisLcg

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Ganelon wrote:It's especially hard to find a new high from an RPG after playing over a thousand since a lot of plot elements will seem very familiar.

This. As I'm getting older, I find myself demanding a lot more narrative complexity out of all the media I consume. Movies have been hit especially hard by this shift--films I would have considered harmless fun ten years ago are now less welcome in my house than a horde of cockroaches because if I'm going to spend two hours on the couch passively watching a film, then it had better enrich my life in some fashion. RPGs are second on the list, though, and I'm finding the amateurish "save-the-world" plotlines and barely-tangible character development really takes away my desire to sink 30+ hours into a game. It's somewhat impressive how few of them have solid stories written with intelligent adults as the target audience.
You also distaste me with passion!

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:24 pm

My personal opinion is that RPGs are games for people who hate games.
I haven't encountered one that didn't use endless grinding instead of a rewarding gameplay experience via a balanced difficulty or a narrative structure giving some urgency to move along instead of grinding and resulting in a gameplay that consists entirely of pressing the OK button.

Also I haven't encountered one game of this genre which story or way of telling the story wasn't entirely offensive to anybody who read at least on book in their lifes.

Back on topic:

Selling off all things which one has lovingly accumulated is no small feat and a thing I would have a great problem accomplishing it. So ;)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:00 am

RPGs were great back in junior high and high school when

1) I had the time
2) I needed each purchase to be stretched out into the longest possible time frame
3) The "story" hadn't been done a million times over

I loved playing Phantasy Star about 30 times as a kid. I still look back on that time fondly. Then again, I think few games in the same genre matched it's caliber, even in the following years.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:36 am

I haven't encountered one that didn't use endless grinding instead of a rewarding gameplay experience via a balanced difficulty or a narrative structure giving some urgency to move along instead of grinding and resulting in a gameplay that consists entirely of pressing the OK button.

I'm not sure how exactly you define "grinding," but if it's the need to fight additional optional battles in order to advance with the story, then most action RPGs (e.g. Thor, Ys) and computer RPGs (e.g. The Elder Scrolls, Ultima) don't require any grinding. Quite a few strategy RPGs are episodic (e.g. Langrisser, Super Robot Wars) and don't allow backtracking to grind, but they do focus on milking existing enemies (destroying as many enemies as possible instead of just obtaining the objective).

And even amongst most traditional JRPGs, I would disagree that grinding as usually defined is required. Sure, there are a few Dragon Quest staples that are balanced poorly with no option but to grind for bosses. However, the majority I've played are either balanced so that fighting every battle is enough or that there are tricks involved to help the skilled player win (hence all the low level challenges).

Phantasy Star II is commonly regarded as a grindfest but I'd say that's a misnomer. As long as you get lost a little and fight every battle, you'll be well-prepared all the way through the game. It's more that the designers chose an overly high encounter rate that makes random battles such a pain. I agree that an overly high encounter rate is a real problem with random battles. As with everyone else here, I don't really have the time to waste anymore on random battles. Less battles with more experience per battle would likely suit these RPGs better.

One insightful perspective into the encounter rate was brought up by Zeboyd Games, creator of indie hits Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World: http://zeboyd.com/2012/11/01/lets-talk- ... m-battles/
Zeboyd RPGs are often noted for having a higher-than-ideal encounter rate and it's clear from the article that while there's a lot of thought put into the process, everything is ultimately extrapolated from a base "desired number of battles" that's entirely subjective.

Another game commonly but erroneously referred to as a grindfest is Final Fantasy IV. There are a lot of tricks involved with item duplication, character suiciding, and exactly timed jumps (one of the coolest things to see in this game is a Kain solo against the final boss) that can make the game all about skill rather than grinding. But playing these RPGs with skill requires a strong understanding of the game engine that most players don't bother ever learning. I don't ever believe in building artificial rules for games but it's interesting to look into low level challenges to see how players have bypassed grinding with cleverness and skill.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:05 am

CTN wrote:My personal opinion is that RPGs are games for people who hate games.

Also I haven't encountered one game of this genre which story or way of telling the story wasn't entirely offensive to anybody who read at least on book in their lifes.

Back on topic:

Selling off all things which one has lovingly accumulated is no small feat and a thing I would have a great problem accomplishing it. So ;)

Go play Growlanser, Langrisser, and Tales of Destiny 2 (PS2). :)

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:13 am

SuperDeadite wrote:Go play Growlanser, Langrisser, and Tales of Destiny 2 (PS2). :)

On the selling front, I just got your payment this morning as I was away yesterday so I'm going to send it by Kuroneko now on my way to sort out shaken for my car. This morning I sent many boxes overseas. It cost 40,000 yen to send them which gives you an idea of the volume. I reckon it was 14 PCBs, 3 X68000 games and one for the Megadrive. Things are moving well, at a good pace so I'm not too swamped.

Looks like I have buyers for nearly all my home console and computer games.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:33 am

I think this is really the main difference between a gamer and a collector, do they actually play their games and are any good at them. Obviously, I'm a huge collector (always was and purged when life called for it but came back to it when life allowed) but I make it a point to master games that I play (be it 1cc an arcade title, become tournament competent in a fighter, do everything in an RPG, etc).
become history

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:06 am

Cool can't wait to get the box MK. :)

As for the collector thing, it really depends on the system for me. I really like having original X68k games, both retail and doujin (especially doujin). For one thing it helps to have the manuals for most games, plus they look so pretty. These days though, I run 95% of the games off Compact Flash, as the disks are all slowly dieing, as well as the drives themselves. It's all gonna be pure paper sooner or later sadly...

Other systems it depends. MD, PCE, NeoGeo, I want complete, but I only buy games I like. Nintendo stuff? The cheaper the better. Box of dirty carts for me. :) Only thing I really have a "collection" of is LaserActive disks. 1/3 of the library is garbage, but damn I want them all!

Poisonous
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Poisonous » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:42 am

SuperDeadite wrote:Cool can't wait to get the box MK. :)

As for the collector thing, it really depends on the system for me. I really like having original X68k games, both retail and doujin (especially doujin). For one thing it helps to have the manuals for most games, plus they look so pretty. These days though, I run 95% of the games off Compact Flash, as the disks are all slowly dieing, as well as the drives themselves. It's all gonna be pure paper sooner or later sadly...

Other systems it depends. MD, PCE, NeoGeo, I want complete, but I only buy games I like. Nintendo stuff? The cheaper the better. Box of dirty carts for me. :) Only thing I really have a "collection" of is LaserActive disks. 1/3 of the library is garbage, but damn I want them all!

Haha, more than 1/3 of the library of the LaserActive is pretty bad. A lot of the games I've played for the LaserActive just felt cheaply made to me. There are some beautiful titles for the system though.

On the subject of collecting video games, I'll buy a game that I've never played, or don't know I will enjoy, because if I really dislike it I can always trade or sell it. I try to keep my collection relatively small, but I'm a sucker for original, and complete games. I mostly just collect for the NeoGeo CD, the X68000, and the PC-98. Not going for complete anything, I'm just getting games I'm recommended. I do think trimming a collection regularly is a healthy thing to do though. I try to be realistic, and any games I know I won't get around to playing, leave.

I wouldn't call myself a collector though. I just enjoy playing video games. Somebody who enjoys cooking and has many different cooking utensils isn't a "cooking utensil collector." I just feel like the term describes something which you don't use, but just enjoy having and appreciate. Which, is pretty far from what I am.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:38 am

I've recently come to enjoy RPGs again, since I currently mainly have time to play games after about 11pm after a long day of work, which is not the right mental state if you want to be any good at arcade action games. ;)

Return to “Everything Else”