game mags and books

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

game mags and books

Postby mackdangerously » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:38 pm

If my fellow Tokyo folks could help me out here. Where is a good place to grab old back issues of things like Arcadia and Neo-Geo freak? I know stupid potato has some stuff but I think it is mostly strategy guides right? I'd rather not go there if at all possible due to the high prices thanks to the dumb tourists. I seem to remember Mandarake having some stuff, but their prices are also stupid. Anybody know any good hole in the wall places that might have some goodies? I won't tell, promise. :D

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Re: game mags and books

Postby Magic Knight » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:44 pm

I think you'll be doing well to find any cheaply in Tokyo itself. I have bought Arcadia issues relatively cheaply in the likes of Book Off and Book Market in rural areas. You could start in places like Kumagaya, Saitama City, Shirakawa and so on.

I am selling my magazines by the way, let me know if any of these are of interest.
http://www.gamengai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3152

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Cool. I will look through your list and see what is what.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:05 pm

A little update...

I decided to venture out and pierce the veil of rain and humid train funk to see what is what. I made the rounds and managed to turn up three issues of Neo-Geo Freak. Unfortunately they all had the posters inside so I took it straight in the keester on that one. For those not in the know, an issue of NG Freak without the poster will run you average 500-800 yen depending on the issue. An issue with the poster will stick you 1200 yen minimum. I just told myself that I might get lucky and find someone that needs posters and will trade me for mags. Any of you jokers find a honey hole, let me know. Now if you will excuse me, I have a bottle of 天狗舞 that needs some attention.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:54 am

Mandarake in Akihabara has some... not always cheap, but not bad. They have the first couple but they are for display only.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:54 am

Cool. I will have a look there soon. Another question. Is there a place to buy magazine size protector bags? I am talking about ones like the kind used for comics. I looked online and found a shop called Blister that sells U.S. comics, so I am thinking they might have some. Anyone ever been there?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:49 pm

I'd ask at Mandarake or something of that ilk. There's gotta be something.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Well, went to Mandarake and they were clueless about the magazine bags. They just tape up everything in cellophane and tape. I checked out that comic store Blister, and they only had comic size bags. Gonna have to try Amazon or something.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:13 am

It might not be quite what you want, but 100 yen shops (I'm thinking of Daiso specifically but I'm sure others carry similar stuff) sell packs of ziplock bags in various large sizes--I think A4 is the biggest, and then they go down to A5, B4 and B5, etc. Though magazines here are a bit bigger than A4, aren't they? Oh well, might be worth looking in any case; you might find some bags specifically designed for magazine storage. They do love their specific media storage solutions here...
You also distaste me with passion!

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:29 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I will be sure to check next time I am at the station. I went home to visit my folks for the 4th and completely forgot to check for any while I was there.

Return to “Everything Else”