Japanese Gaming Websites

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Japanese Gaming Websites

Postby lordnikon » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:37 am

Hi all,

Since 2004 I have been involved in digital media preservation and archiving. I am an Archivist. To make a long story short, it has been my life's work for the past 10 years. Some of my accomplishments include archiving all of the faq's at GFAQS(this deserves to be in the hands of the people! not a corporation!), over 1 million english journalism/news articles on the games industry from 1997-current, thousands of websites, videos, magazine scans, and helping to preserve some of the Dreamcast's Online server infrastructure.

For the better part of this past year I have been writing a new script in bash/GNU Tools to yield more accurate archives of websites. With my script able churn through sites at a much faster pace, I am setting my sites on more content.

English stuff is pretty easy for me to track down. However on the Japanese side of things, I need some help. There are really important/meaningful websites that I am sure many of you know about that I may not know to archive.

If you guys want to help out, please scour your bookmarks or your memory for any relevant Japanese language video game related websites so I can preserve them. Maybe its an obscure metal slug compendium, or a Famicom rom hacking tutorial site. If you know of any, let me know. The older the site, the more subversive, the better. (Descriptions/Historical backgrounds on the sites are welcome as well, as I include metadata detailed info files with each archive.)

You are probobly asking yourself "What's in it for me?"

The entirety of my dataset will find its way onto FTP Archive's and the Internet Archive @ Archive.org in the not so distant future. I have triple copies of all data, with redundancy systems in place in case I get hit by a bus (knock on wood), so everything I salvage is being released eventually. At the moment my data is still being prepped for public consumption, so it might be quite a while longer before it can become available. The logistics of spreading Terabytes of data is a bit complicated :)

If you value some great sites and want them preserved, help me save them for the future.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: Japanese Gaming Websites

Postby mackdangerously » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:10 am

This is something I stumbled upon some time ago that I thought was really cool.

http://unofficial-guide.sakura.ne.jp/index.html

It is complete strategy guides for the arcade version of Rygar and Sengoku Legends 2001. Not only is the information very thorough, the whole interactive book presentation is really cool. Not exactly subversive or anything, but I though it was pretty sweet.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Re: Japanese Gaming Websites

Postby lordnikon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Awesome, thanks! Archived it ;)

Return to “Everything Else”