Post Asobit City

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Monkey Punch
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Post Asobit City

Postby Monkey Punch » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:00 pm

Howdy there, long time no see. As I'm off to partake in all things Japan for a week next month I've been having this niggling query at the back of my head for a while now. After reading that Asobit City in Aki was for the chop and was closing down I was wondering if anything had taken it's place at all. Even though it was chock full of new games you could find anywhere else I was always fond of the place and would hate to think that all that space was going to waste. Anyone got the goss at all?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:26 pm

You know, I know nothing about Asobit City. For new games the hotspot has always been Messe Sanno... for the last few years, anyway. They've even opened up an "import" store, in case you want to buy US games for about 50% more than they cost in the states.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Monkey Punch
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Monkey Punch » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:24 pm

Yeah Messe Sanoh always seemed to be more packed with potential buyers but Asobit always seemed like an oversized department store that you could spend the entire day in. Fun for all the family. Plus the fact it had some of the nicest air conditioning know to man or beast in there. Truly life saving in the summer. Suffice to say I'll miss the place, I just hope something decent has taken it's place.

eight one
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby eight one » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:58 am

You all forgot the Sofmap on the back street and the Amusement Sofmap a couple of doors down from Messe Sanoh. What cool is about Messe Sanoh is that sometimes have the extra items on their discounted games! I got the figure when I bought Metalgun Slinger for the GBA! (it was only 2000 Yen new!) Asobit City is still around, it's just in fragments (1 is on the main street, 2 and 3 are on the back streets)
PROSCEUTEDT TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE JAM.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:03 pm

Just one of those things I've always missed... I even went today and have still yet to see it. Maybe I've been in and never noticed the name. :)
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Monkey Punch
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Monkey Punch » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:29 pm

Ha never, I bought Metal Gunslinger in Messe Sanoh when it was released, and got the figure too. Pity I sold it to a friend later on :( Messe Sanoh do tend to do nice little freebies with their items. I got a nice little Robo Ky writing board when I bought GGX Reload, damn sweet. It's nice to know Asobit is still around, albeit in bits and pieces. Mind you my mission this time around is locating G Front, I finally found Mak Japan last year so a return visit will definitely be on the cards next month.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:05 am

Mind you my mission this time around is locating G Front, I finally found Mak Japan last year so a return visit will definitely be on the cards next month.
If I'm not mistaken, G-Front is one intersection down from Mak Japan, on the 2nd floor. THat's a hunch based on the picture they've got on the website (and not the map, which they don't have for some stupid reason). Honestly though, their prices seem to high, so I've never bothered. Mak Japan is very tricky to find, but worth it once you do.

Monkey Punch
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Monkey Punch » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:38 pm

Yeah I happened on Mak purely by chance last time. I'd been looking for it on multiple occasions but with no luck so I gave up, until a lucky glance revealed it's location. I gotta say, I've never seen so much blue bubble wrap in my life. Cheers for the G Front heads up, now I gotta try and spy out Ketsui and maybe even that new Cave shooter if it's out :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:06 am

Ketsui can be had for 30,000 - 35,000 yen. Mak Japan has had one for a while, and there's one on YJ. There are a couple of arcades in Akihabara that have it as well. It's a quality shooter, although hard as shit. Mushihime Sama (the new cave shooter) was on beta test in "Hey" for about a week. I got to see it, but not play it. People were lined up for a while to play it. It is beautiful though. Like Nausicaa meets Esperade. Won't be out until the Fall, at which point I'll be long gone.

Monkey Punch
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Monkey Punch » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:39 pm

That Ketsui price sounds ok to me, I'll have to hope Mak or G Front has still got that one in stock. Hunting down Mushihimesama was really wishful thinking I think, a culmination of hoping it was gonna be out in time for my trip and being kinda affordable (if you could call a new pcb release affordable) I was willing to drop down the cash up to a point but after looking at Riverservice's site and seeing the 248000 yen price tag I thought I'd give it a miss.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:15 am

Well, Chaosfield is about 160,000 yen and it's only been out about 2 months, if that gives you any kind of idea. Cave shooters are definitely not cheap, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Hopefully Arika will pick it up and go for a home release (fingers crossed).

Return to “Everything Else”