NHK TV fees

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

NHK TV fees

Postby schadenfreude » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:09 am

Sorry for being late to this party, but I was reading about owning a TV in Japan and someone mentioned having to pay a fee for it, whereupon I stumbled upon this silliness:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/12/04/dont-own-a-television-japans-public-broadcaster-doesnt-care-but-does-still-wants-your-money/

But perhaps the weirdest of all are government fees for public television in Japan. Not only do the bill collectors go door to door soliciting payment, but some administrators are looking to make people pay the fees whether they own a TV or not.

Public television in Japan is administered by the broadcasting organization NHK. The quirkiness of NHK fees doesn’t stop with the legion of elderly bill collectors it dispatches to knock on citizens’ doors to collect annual fees, which are 13,600 yen (US$136), or 24,090 yen for owners of satellite TVs. Despite their widespread unpopularity, though, the law states no penalties for non-payment.

So if I'm living in Tokyo and bangin' on my CRT for old-skool gaming fun, I am still expected to cough up this dough? I get that there are ways to BS around this, but Jesus. My first thought: If it's government-run, why don't they collect the funds through income or sales tax? :roll: Anyway, do you gentlemen (and gentleladies?) have any interesting experiences dealing with these guys?

ryu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: NHK TV fees

Postby ryu » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:04 am

I'm just here to point out we have the same stupid system in germany.

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby schadenfreude » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:24 am

Shit, it seems to be very common in Europe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence#Television_licences_around_the_world. Sorry for being a dumb American. Though one could argue that we do something similar in the US, in that every year, some amount of tax dollars are set aside to fund PBS, NPR, and others.

Regardless, what makes the Japanese way ridiculous is how the fee is collected: By a guy knocking on your door? — And with no legal ramifications if you don't pay? I see that in Greece, for example, the payment comes out of your electricity bill, which is a much more sensible way to do it. Is it at least similarly sensible in Deutschland?

I tend not to be for government programs, but hey, if the government's going to do one, at least collect the financing for it in a sensible manner!

ryu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ryu » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:46 am

I actually assume they do it like they do here. You pay a regular bill electronically, and these people go knocking at doors making sure people who don't pay really don't own any televions.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Technically, as long as the TV has an antenna, you are on the hook to pay. However, there is no legal recourse if you don't. (Japanese honor system). It's a pretty effed up system. They will make tons more money if they just somehow figure out how to deduct it automatically. However, as per before, you don't have to pay it if you don't have a way to get any reception.

If your phone has one seg, you still owe I believe.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Return to “Everything Else”