Tokyo Game Show 2004

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Monkey Punch
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Tokyo Game Show 2004

Postby Monkey Punch » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:51 pm

So I'm finally gonna be going to a TGS, long time admirer first time visitor :D I was wondering if there are any attendees here that will be venturing there this year or if there are any previous visitors that have any advice for a noob to find his way through unscathed.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:16 am

I will probably be going, but I'm literally moving to Hawaii the next day. It will be strange -- my last little game outing in Japan. Advice: If you're only going for one day - don't play anything, as you'll have to cue for ages. Just walk through, get the free stuff, and keep on moving. 2 days? You might have time to play a couple of games.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:45 am

First, Find a game company that's handing out bags and pick a couple up, you'll need 'em. Focus on what you can get for free. Go to Kaihim Makuhari Station, and unless you live in Chiba, be ready for a long day on the trains. You can just buy the TGS tickets at the Train station. And there's a Lotteria burger close to the entrance, you might wanna fill up there.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:27 am

Yeah, good point. Most of the food they sell at the show is crap -- 300 yen Yakisoba you could barely put down. The restaurant selection really isn't so bad to be honest, but it's a good 20-30 minute walk. Bring a camera to video the ladies.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

DeliverMessiah
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby DeliverMessiah » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:35 pm

Japanese booth babes... they're infamous. I reccommend to get there early. There's so much to do and see. Before you go decide what you'd like to do there. (Test the new games, see everything, get free stuff, whatever) Then you should develop your plan based on that. If you want to pick up the freebee stuff, bring a backpack. The plastic bags get heavy fast and you'll end up getting sore hands. Don't worry that it's not Halloween. Feel free to dress up as your favorite gaming character and you'll fit right in. (I wouldn't take the train like that though... Definately embarassing outside the show.) I can't go this year but enjoy and let me know if you see any kick ass stuff.

Monkey Punch
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Monkey Punch » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:21 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm hopefully going to borrow a digital camera from a friend so those pics of the booth babes should be covered :) I've already booked a ticket in advance so I've got to find the check in desk when I arrive. I'm guessing there is gonna be some huge queue thing going on when I get there. Because I've already booked a ticket would I be able to bypass a potential queue and walk straight in or am I destined for the long wait?

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:03 am

Make sure that you set your camera to high speed, all my pictures turned out blurry. Don't know how much flash will help, good luck. Also, make sure that you know Japanese or go with someone who does. You'll probably need to fill out surveys to get the some of the coolest stuff. Of course, you could always try bullshitting through it :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:44 am

Hahaha... good one. i've found that to get demos, they make you play the game at the booth first... and sweet-talking doesn't work, btw.

Return to “Everything Else”