Akihabara Map

Voice your site-related complaints, rants, suggestions or whatever

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Kaede
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Akihabara Map

Postby Kaede » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:44 pm

Hi, I just have a small question about the site.

Would it be possible to perhaps make a small, printable version of the Akihabara map and offer link to it on your page? It would be great to have a copy I could stick in my holiday notebook. (Yeah I'm organised). I guess I could get another map and fill the info in but it strikes me that it might be a handy option for anyone visiting there for the first time.

Cheers

K
繧上◆縺励

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:21 pm

Seconded!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:26 pm

I've been meaning to do this for a while, but it's taken a bank seat (in the trunk) b/c of other projects. I'll see if I can dig up the file and make sense out of it. It's not just a JPG export, unfortunately, but shouldn't be too much work.

A few things have changed as well, unfortunately. :(
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Kaede
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kaede » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:35 pm

It would be much appreciated, thanks GP!

K

(P.S my trip is in just over 5 weeks time :P )
繧上◆縺励

Kaede
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kaede » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:02 pm

Apologies for the double post...

Gaijin, do you have any tips about game shopping in Akihabara? Are staff generally OK dealing with foreigners with no Japanese? I'm C&Ping info from Play-Asia into my scrapbook such as covers, catalog numbers and original titles written in Japanese.

Also, I've heard of a shop there with a floor dedicated to video game soundtracks, which sounds too awesome. You wouldn't happen to know where this is would you? Reckon I'll be able to pick up the Galuda and Mushi LE soundtracks anywhere?

Thanks

K
繧上◆縺励

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:54 pm

Kaede wrote:Gaijin, do you have any tips about game shopping in Akihabara?

Yeah, take your ass condoms. ;)

Seriously though, depending on the market, Akiba can be pricey. There are often times when you can buy an item through a Yahoo Japan Proxy service cheaper than Akihabara. Also, retro stock seems to be getting smaller to make way for shelves and shelves of used PS2 games (and of course games for new systems)

Are staff generally OK dealing with foreigners with no Japanese?

Yeah, just better brush up on your hand gestures, and don't even think of paying w/ a credit card.

Also, I've heard of a shop there with a floor dedicated to video game soundtracks, which sounds too awesome.

Yep, Super Potatoe. They have tons of soundtracks. Their game showcase is one of the most impressive ever, but the items aren't exactly priced to move.

Reckon I'll be able to pick up the Galuda and Mushi LE soundtracks anywhere?

You could pick them up there if they have them. Mandarake is another good place to check for the OSTs, as they have a pretty impressive showcase of game soundtracks.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:40 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:
Are staff generally OK dealing with foreigners with no Japanese?

Yeah, just better brush up on your hand gestures, and don't even think of paying w/ a credit card.

Yeah, the only game shop where I could use my credit card in Akiba was Sofmap. So if you're looking for newer games, they have good prices there and you can use a CC with ease (no added fees or anything).

Kaede
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kaede » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:27 am

GP, thanks very much for the info, it's a big help!

Getting hold of import machines and games in the UK is usually pricey anyway so hopefully it won't be too much of a shock for me. This might be my only chance to visit Tokyo, so as a gamer, an afternoon shopping and gaming in Akiba HAS to be done. Oh, and thanks for the CC tip! Looking at my Lonely Planet guide it seems that cash is the best option for most shops. I'll be sure to check out Mandrake and Super Potatoe, I'm not really into game soundtracks much, but I think I'll pick up a few for novelty value. :)

Thanks again,

K

EDIT:EOJ (Twe?), yes I have heard good things about Sofmap. If I run out money at least I'll know I can pick up a few bits from there. Thanks!
繧上◆縺励

gothicayu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: Akihabara Map

Postby gothicayu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:35 am

Kaede wrote:Hi, I just have a small question about the site.

Would it be possible to perhaps make a small, printable version of the Akihabara map and offer link to it on your page? It would be great to have a copy I could stick in my holiday notebook. (Yeah I'm organised). I guess I could get another map and fill the info in but it strikes me that it might be a handy option for anyone visiting there for the first time.

Cheers

K

this is an handsome idea ;)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:41 am

The map is kind of obsolete. Some Assembler members started a new one which is far better (Google Map). I'll try to find a link.

Return to “Site Feedback”