Competition Suggestion Thread

Remember what it's like to play for score? Post yours in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:14 pm

I'll let Macaw start the HS thread. I'll play either. I just played Thunderfox a few times and couldn't get past stage 2. It gets assholish quite early.

Anyways, I can say at least one part of first place will be n Arcade Vol. 01. I've got one here I don't need. It's the one w/ that rather dope Guwange Ad. I'll probably throw something else in as well.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:17 am

A month on, maybe we should try for another. My suggestions if people are interested: (and due to the fact flyers with good art get me off like a rocco siffredi flick, here is all the accompanying flyers shamelessly linked from arcadeflyers.com)

Magician Lord

Genpei Touma Den

The Lord of King

Black Dragon

Tora he no Michi

Avenging Spirit

Magical Cat Adventure

A big bunch of super cool platformers that probably wont necessarily require much time to be proficient at. I will be fine with any of them. GP don't feel like you need to provide a prize if this comp happens considering you just gave GSL your 1975 Rolls-Royce Camargue.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:03 am

Looks like a no-go. Till next time then.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:23 am

Cool selections, I'd be interested if I had my control pads here. I'll probably have them within a few weeks though.

Magical Cat Adventure - I've never seen that game before.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:22 pm

I totally missed this thread. Sorry, Macaw. I'm game, but... well.. not really. Won't have a monitor for a while, and the now legendary move seems to be happening later in the month.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Sorry Macaw, saw this thread when you first posted it, then promptly forgot about it. Maybe a nice competition will help pull me out of this job-induced funk. I'll try and look into the suggestions and cast my vote; looks like it might be a bit before everyone is free to play, though.
You also distaste me with passion!

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:16 am

I wouldn't mind participating in a Black Tiger or GnG comp ;)
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 am

GnG would be so brutal. It definitely would get my vote.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:54 am

GnG... so brutal. No Taito? I've been on a bit of Taito kick lately.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:47 am

Space Invaders. The person who lasts the longest without killing or drinking themselves into a stupor wins.

On a more helpful note, Bubble Bobble? Or is that too easy for a highscore contest?

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:48 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:GnG... so brutal. No Taito? I've been on a bit of Taito kick lately.

If you wanted to be a glutton for punishment, there is always the SFC one.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:36 am

Maybe we should just play that space invaders dancing game sega made, Zunzun-whatever its called. heheheh.

But yeah I guess maybe in a month or so is best to have the next comp.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:53 am

Random: Big Tournament Golf

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:30 pm

Having everyone break both their arms and their sticks on Nintendo's Arm Wrestling would be totally hilarious.

Golf is tempting though :D

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:38 pm

That would most likely ensure everyone's on equal footing--I don't quite get the impression anyone here plays golf games for fun.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:20 pm

I played Golf Shiyou yo on the DC for a while. They're actually not bad... somewhat relaxing compared to the usual action game.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:32 am

I remember Mario Golf being fun. Yeah yeah yeah Mario milking, but it was good. Hotshots Golf 2, likewise.

The reason I picked Neo Turf Masters / Big Tournament Golf because I think it's got the most intuitive controls (better than the Irem games) and the courses are pretty good too. Of course a trackball game would be preferable but I don't think they'd translate to emulation well.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:00 pm

I hear a lot of people speak well of Neo Turf Masters, especially within the NG community. This always struck me as odd, as I thought for a console/arcade system with such great games, how come everyone gets all hard about a golf game?

It doesn't seem to be one of the more expensive MVS carts, so maybe I owe it to myself to find a copy and see what's what. Or emulate it, at least.

LaserGun
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby LaserGun » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:21 pm

Big Tournament Golf sounds like a whole lot of fun to me, I haven't played much of it, so it would be nice to learn a bit more about the game's mechanics.

Like Josh said, the game has a nice control system, and the difficulty comes from the course design, wind changes and putting.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu May 06, 2010 11:07 am

Anyone wanna play Wolf Fang?

Looking over the Japanese net its insane how much of a community the game has, and there's about a billion playthrough and strategy vids on nico, including a totally awesome double play with a camera on the dudes hands.

It totally deserves the following though, while the action itself is pretty standard the amount of modes and options it offers you was far ahead of its time.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu May 06, 2010 12:25 pm

I've got my pads back and am playing Captain Commando, but I need the break, so I'm up for it!

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat May 08, 2010 1:11 am

I'm in! Need a play-for-score challenge that's not a shooter for a bit.

EDIT:
Wow, just gave this a go, and there seems to be a good amount of depth to the character creation bit at the start of the game. I was also surprised that you don't actually die when you run out of life and you have a chance to rebuild your mech in your extremely fragile state. That's a neat touch.

Love the game's take on 'options' as well. Also, Iron Craw.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat May 08, 2010 3:36 am

I'd love to play Wolf Fang, but AFAIK, the JPN board hasn't been dumped. Anyone know if there's differnces in the US? I've actually been wanting to play this for a while, as I'm on my DECO kick still.

I actually thought of buying the board, then donating it to be dumped when I was done.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat May 08, 2010 8:24 am

My MAME go-to source had it, labeled "Wolf Fang -Kuhga 2001-." According to them, it's a child rom of the fifth version of the Asia/Europe "Rohga Armor Force." If it's legit, it must be a recent addition, as the Japanese version still shows up as unemulated on various Internet MAME lists.

Wikipedia lists PSX and Saturn ports by Xing; is this another one of those rare and spendy releases ala Image Fight/X-Multiply?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat May 08, 2010 9:53 am

No. You can get either somewhat cheap if you wait. I was thinking of pulling the trigger on one or both actually.

Return to “Score Attack”