Personal Records: Discussion

Remember what it's like to play for score? Post yours in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Siren
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Siren » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:14 am

Noon is my rapist name, Gaijin Punch. :P

It is essentially a Puzzle-Action game. The entire system revolves around each player's (there are always two) grids on the playing field (10 on each side, if I remember correctly), with each player's corresponding color highlighted on it.

There are colored balls constantly appearing on the playing field, and it is each player's duty to connect the rainbow-colored ones with two (and this isn't the only one, as the combinations are numerous) regular balls of any color. This is done by either pushing them into the others, or simply kicking them across the screen. The more chains you get, the more black balls will fill up on your opponent's grid -- and he must move these, or else his timer will start to count down (always from ten). Once at zero, the round is over (up to three can occur in a match, granted both players have won a round).

Now if you chain more balls than his grid can handle, a chart will begin to fill, symbolizing "overflow stock". If the number of black balls on the player's chart are moved off of his physical grid, then the timer will stop. This makes for some exciting matches, leaving some players with one second left...

And overflowing is very important if you want to annihilate the tougher enemies in the game. This will ensure that they will have little to no chance of recovering (unless your opponent happens to be a fucking behemoth like Rongorono, who can dispose of black balls very quickly, which is always annoying, but welcome for the sake of challenge).

You can attack your opponent at any time to stop him from stealing a chain. Each character has a specific special move they may activate once their gauge is filled. This is done by pushing blocks when they are up against a wall or just another ball, effectively destroying them. But this takes precious time, and your opponent could find a perfect chain adjacent to your position (several rainbow balls in a row). Of course you may also take the devilish route and kick him across the screen before he does. :evil:

The special moves make a world of difference, I've noticed. I can't use many of the characters because they are (at least in my mind) at a huge disadvantage with their attacks -- at least to later matches/bosses. It is in this regard that Noon feels, at least on some level, like a Fighter.

The boss battles are lots of fun, only one problem: they are way too easy and feel like a gimmick. You will never lose health during these encounters (because there is no health bar, meaning you can take an infinite number of hits), and they are easier than the matches themselves. But they're still quite addictive. The grid system is utilized here as well -- only this time, connecting rainbow balls depletes the boss' health bar. The bigger the chain, the larger the chunk of damage you will deal. Sounds pretty damn fun, right? It is, but since it is really simple to pull chains off, these battles end rather fast. (SPOILER) The last boss is most enjoyable because of his excessive spam of black balls all over the screen.

And the soundtrack... man, I swear to God the guy who did the Sonic Adventure games wrote the songs for Noon. It's hard to forget that guitar wailing (Which is great of course!). I can't find evidence of this anywhere, though.

Here is a vidya of teh geem in mochian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1MfajAeQLE

Oh and did I mention that the 2D sprites look fantastic?

I would love to be pointed to more Action-Puzzle games like this one. If any of you know of one, please let me know as well.
Last edited by Siren on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I make comatose hemiplegic niggers look like goddamn rocket scientists.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:38 am

Noon might be the best one. There's also Panel de Pon but controlling a cursor isn't as fun.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 am

Cool... didn't quite follow what was going on in the video, but it looked fun. There's so many 32-bit puzzle games that get someone repetitive I never gave this one the time of day.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:11 am

Got the Joe & Mac Return 1CC. Not sure what's next. This one wasn't as hard as I thought. Just had to learn the extend locations. Probably a bit harder than the other two in a few places, but still doable. Shorter, too, I think.

Will probably bust out another Data East game soon.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Randorama
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Randorama » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Kaneda wrote:Added:

Akai Katana
Raiden Fighters 2 & Jet
Xexex

I'm in the mood to try to pad my list with 1-credit-clears. I think Randorama holds the unofficial Western record with 113 arcade shooters beat, might be kind of fun to chase that.

Edit: My count is at 56. Long way to go...

ahahahahah.

I think that I have 1-CC something between 300 and 320 arcade games, if it can be of any interest. I still can remember that the first shmup I 1-CC was thundercade (Seta/Taito). I can't remember the other more common game. The second one was the other Seta/Taito masterpiece, Twin Hawk.

Surprisingly, the third one was Darius. My uncle had the cab since winter 1987, but I was not that good and well, I was *too short* to play Darius well even on a stool. I didn't finish until 1988 or so, when I was 9. I think that the first platformers were Black Tiger and Bionic Commando, but I can't really recall this detail. Some time in this time frame there is a 1-CC, *no hit* on last stage of 1943.

To be fair, though, I think that in general a much better gaming achievement is a high score. As you may have noticed, a lot of games take a few hours to be cleared, whereas high scores may easily suck away months of practice.

EDIT: Sorry for sounding like a total wanker, but does anyone has questions re: 1-CCs and difficulty? I am trying to sit down and make a list of arcade games I have played and 1-CC'ed, and I was wondering if there is any consensus on difficulty.

I'll start by asking:

1. if you know Gaiapolis, do you think a 1-CC is hard stuff?
2. How about Rainbow Islands?
3. ...and Master of Weapons?
4. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles original arcade game? (1-LC, actually)?

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:51 am

Randorama wrote:
Kaneda wrote:Added:

Akai Katana
Raiden Fighters 2 & Jet
Xexex

I'm in the mood to try to pad my list with 1-credit-clears. I think Randorama holds the unofficial Western record with 113 arcade shooters beat, might be kind of fun to chase that.

Edit: My count is at 56. Long way to go...

ahahahahah.

I think that I have 1-CC something between 300 and 320 arcade games, if it can be of any interest. I still can remember that the first shmup I 1-CC was thundercade (Seta/Taito). I can't remember the other more common game. The second one was the other Seta/Taito masterpiece, Twin Hawk.

Surprisingly, the third one was Darius. My uncle had the cab since winter 1987, but I was not that good and well, I was *too short* to play Darius well even on a stool. I didn't finish until 1988 or so, when I was 9. I think that the first platformers were Black Tiger and Bionic Commando, but I can't really recall this detail. Some time in this time frame there is a 1-CC, *no hit* on last stage of 1943.

To be fair, though, I think that in general a much better gaming achievement is a high score. As you may have noticed, a lot of games take a few hours to be cleared, whereas high scores may easily suck away months of practice.

EDIT: Sorry for sounding like a total wanker, but does anyone has questions re: 1-CCs and difficulty? I am trying to sit down and make a list of arcade games I have played and 1-CC'ed, and I was wondering if there is any consensus on difficulty.

No problem, Rando, you always were a bit of an asshole. I don't think anyone doubts that a high score is much more impressive or more difficult to achieve, but it's fun just trying to beat a game on a coin.

There's a link floating around of a Japanese site that ranks shooters based on difficulty to clear, but its got some weird choices on there.

1LC Donpachi and I'll buy you a Coke.

How many shooters have you beaten, btw? When you were "going for the gold" some time ago, I saw your list at 113 or 130 or something.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Kaneda wrote:How many shooters have you beaten, btw? When you were "going for the gold" some time ago, I saw your list at 113 or 130 or something.

lol, i remember that, for some reason i always thought it was a reference to his collection tho :P
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:59 am

I don't think TMNT would be too difficult with Donatello. I remember there being a trick for the sewer level that's essentially a stage skip cheat, in case you wanted to clear it by any means necessary.

I imagine Master of Weapon would be hard because it's one of those silly shooters with shifting backgrounds.

Randorama
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Randorama » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:56 pm

Sorry for the late reply...

I think I cleared a few more titles past the 113 mark, possibly 116 or 117. For instance, I was in Japan in 2008 for work and I cleared Death Smiles and Muchi Muchi while there, on the easiest modes. I think that I cleared Shikigami III and Raiden III after I stopped counting, too.

I would consider few of my 1-CCs to be decently hardcore feats (e.g. 2 loops on a Cave game). Right now I think that the hardest games I have cleared must have been Batsugun special &Battle Garegga, i.e. *at most* mid-range stuff, in terms of difficutly. 1-LC DonPachi? Not even Yuusemi...the best I did was reaching the 2-5 boss and die moments before triggering Hibachi.

Kaneda: Have you 1-cc'ed Dimahoo, btw? I think it is a good challenge, for a 1-loop game.

JoshF: what cheat? I usually played with Raffaello, btw.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 pm

I haven't beaten Dimahoo, partly because I don't care for it much but it's also just so hard. Good work clearing that one.

One of these days I'd like to 2-ALL a Cave game. The easiest is probably Daifukkatsu, but I'd like to do DDP since it was one of the first games that got me into this genre.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:49 pm

I saw Prometheus 2-ALL DDP in February, using a keyboard no less. Pretty impessive feat.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 pm

citcelaid wrote:using a keyboard no less

O_o

Still worth a hat-tip.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:37 am

Apparently he used to be a Starcraft champion, so he's most used to playing on a keyboard. Not for me, but whatever works, I guess.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:19 am

I got to the last boss of Gunbird 2's loop yesterday. This game is terrifying to me from 2-4 on, although I managed to no-miss to 2-6 on one run. After an hour or so of this, my girlfriend said I looked like hell and asked what was wrong. I felt like someone who just survived a car accident and had a blanket wrapped around them while they sipped hot cocoa.

What a game.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:54 am

What happened to the Akumajo marathon?

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:29 pm

Took a break to study for the JLPT I failed in July, but now that I'm on my summer break I will resume where I left off with CVIII. Long and hard, just how I like 'em.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:35 pm

Kaneda wrote:Long and hard, just how I like 'em.

That's what he said.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:58 am

10 years in the making. From lowly credit-feeding on the Dreamcast back in high school to a bumbling 2-ALL, I finally slayed Gunbird 2.

Now back to Castlevania for real. ;)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Well done, dude! Adversity told me this today on chat. That's gotta be a good feeling. Whitey represent.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:27 pm

nice, rock hard 2-all dude :)
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Return to “Score Attack”