Personal Records: Discussion

Remember what it's like to play for score? Post yours in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:46 am

I've been able to beat the Oretachi release of Akumajo Dracula AC without any major problems. Took just a week playing a few hours each day. Easier than CV X68k and even CVIII IMO. Super Contra on the other hand seems to me an exercise in boredom and frustration...

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:34 pm

Haunted castle for me was just memorization.

I finished both Castlevania games on Castlevania Chronicles with no deaths.

Has anyone tried beating Daioh in MAME yet?
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

LGB
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby LGB » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:43 pm

zinger wrote:Salamander (2-1)

Never again. Never.

Haha, maybe I should try my hand at Salamander.

RadiantSvgun wrote:Has anyone tried beating Daioh in MAME yet?

The first 3 stages seem pretty easy, but I haven't played it in a good while, so I'm still technically stuck at the stage 3 boss. I hear Shienryu is one of those guys that you'll waste years getting through the final levels; maybe this is true with Daioh.
-------
Does anyone have any sort of strategy for Psycho Chaser? Other than "don't play it"?

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:51 am

zinger wrote:Salamander (2-1)

Never again. Never.

? why not.. i enjoy this game immensley, ive beaten both the NES and arcade versions several times.
definetly my favourite old-school shooter.

i mean it looks great, plays great has a kickass artstyle and sounds great.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:24 pm

Too much frustrating randomness (lol @ stage 4 boss, fucking joker), and if you lose a life in the later parts of stage 5 or anywhere in the last stage you can kiss that round goodbye. It worked much better in Gradius thanks to its powerup / checkpoint system.

And perhaps an even bigger concern is that almost nothing happens during the stages of the first loop (except for the regenerating flesh walls in stage 1, they were really cool!). It boils down to finding safespots in the end, and just sitting there through very long portions of the stages. Option placement isn't as strategically important as in Gradius either, which is a shame.

There are no developments from Gradius (except for the presentation, but compared to games like Darius it's still not very exciting) but quite a few impairments instead.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:31 am

I actually prefer Life Force over salamander, but both games I can 1cc easily. Salamander 2 is a game you need to play. Be careful, some stages touch you in a way that is illegal in most places.

Oh yeah, 1cc Gradius Gaiden today. Strangely, only the boss rush gave me a lot of trouble.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Yeah, Life Force seems like a better game. And Salamander 2 is definetly ages better than the first, although the first couple of stages are a bit easy? I had no problem one-lifeing to the fifth stage after only a few rounds. After that the rank kicks in though. I probably won't bother with it again for a few years though...

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:09 am

yaay i have another one to be proud of :D

Futari Black Label Original
sven666 - 548,767,344 - reco - ALL (lx3)
GaijinPunch - 537,972,098 - ALL (Lx1, Bx3)

no margin whatsoever just the way i like it :whack:
(i just gotta learn to play godmode :'()

i only really compare my scores to people ive met and seen play irl to be honest, or atleast people i talk to on a regular basis.

who cares what some faceless dude on the otherside of the world scores to be honest? thats one thing i like about shmups, most of the good players there like to parttake in discussions about the games they play, very few just play and shut up untill they post their scores.

/rant

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:03 pm

I played about 8 credits total of Original Mode. How many did you get that score in? :finger:

When you break my God Mode score, I'll bust the PCB out again. Death Smiling until then (or until I get a 250-300 mil).
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:24 pm

played maybe 20 credits or so (tho i played like 200 in v1.5 but lets pretend i didnt say that :P).

you can bet your ass your godmode score is what im aiming for!, im about halfway there as it stands right now, getting raped by stage 4 which is loveley..

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:40 pm

The problem is you can't cock up stage 5, which has loads of points. I'm definitely not done w/ God Mode, but I'm off it for a while.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:29 am

Beat Vimana, Zanac Neo and Gaia Seed to pad the list some more.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:19 am

Guess I should try Vimana. :)

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:59 am

Beat the mediocre-but-enjoyable Crisis Beat as well as Aero Fighters.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:47 am

Got to play some Espgaluda II for the first time last weekend. Strange, I got way over 10 mill on my first try.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:01 am

RadiantSvgun wrote:Got to play some Espgaluda II for the first time last weekend. Strange, I got way over 10 mill on my first try.

Not that strange really. Another zero and you're up to a livable score.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:07 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:
RadiantSvgun wrote:Got to play some Espgaluda II for the first time last weekend. Strange, I got way over 10 mill on my first try.

Not that strange really. Another zero and you're up to a livable score.

Well, the board had to be returned to its owner who lives across the country. :(

GP, have you played Armed Police Batrider? Its a really good game.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:12 am

Yes. I popped a credit in a few weeks ago at Hey! playing Normal Mode. Cleared it.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:29 am

Normal mode is homo
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:37 am

Macaw wrote:Normal mode is homo

I had my tank top and cut offs on.

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:30 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Yes. I popped a credit in a few weeks ago at Hey! playing Normal Mode. Cleared it.
Yeah, but was there a letter or a number at the end of your score? :P
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:46 am

It wasn't last place on the shmups HS table, and it was my 2nd credit ever.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:38 am

Armed Police Batrider is a really fun shooter imo. And what makes it appealing to me is that the board is not that expensive.

GP, I tried playing gunforce II/Geo Storm. Its incredibly difficult. Its one that I will not be able to 1cc in my lifetime due to the immense frustration the game puts on me.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:55 pm

Beat the venerable Puzzle Bobble 3 and Puzzle Bobble 4 on a credit on versus modes. Now onto the puzzle stages!

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:06 am

Cleared Mushi Futari Black Label`s Original mode and Death Smiles. That was hard. :roll:

Return to “Score Attack”