Personal Records: Discussion

Remember what it's like to play for score? Post yours in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:26 am

Are you doing all these now, or just remembering them?

I need to play Cyvern. It's apparently good fun.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:17 am

The others I just remembered, but Prehistoric Isle 2 I started playing and beat today. Not a real tough game.

Cyvern is a good one, you should give it a few credits.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Went to Mikado today. Did Night Striker on a credit. Pretty easy. They should definitely only give score based shield extends. My end score was 24 mil. Top score for the day was 70 mil. :?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:44 pm

Salamander (2-1)

Never again. Never.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:00 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Went to Mikado today. Did Night Striker on a credit. Pretty easy. They should definitely only give score based shield extends. My end score was 24 mil. Top score for the day was 70 mil. :?

Yeah to get a high score you really need to get the pacifist bonus I believe (Dont shoot at all during the game)
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:26 am

Beat Thunder Cross. I usually don't care for ancient games (especially the shooters) but I like this one.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:36 am

i beat blazing star way back in stgt06.. pretty happy about that as teh second-last stage is hard as nails.

other than that its nothing much, im halfwaydecent at a couple of cave/raizing shooters but i think GP has me beat in all of em :whack:

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:47 am

Yea same here, I'm ok at a few of them but don't have the skills to get any good scores.

The accomplishment I'm most proud of is getting to 2-6 in Gunbird 2. Still, the score sucks and it's close to the end but not quite there, so I should start playing again.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:28 am

The only one I'm proud of is my Galuda 2 score, and I guess my God Mode Futari BL score (although I *REALLY* wanted a 3 bil clear). I was pretty thrilled when I cleared Ikari a couple of weeks ago. Not b/c it's hard, but b/c it's cheap as shit in some places.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:51 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I find the 4th (?) stage of Cannon Dancer a pain in the ass... the one with the people flying around on invisible strings. Your evil twin is a bit of an asshole if you don't have the power ups as well. I might give it another go at some point.
Stage 5: The trick is to progress carefully, dealing with one soldier at a time, and to use your options strategically. Make sure you're powered up before you reach the tank boss, line up your options (Gradius style) and trick him into rolling within your reach. Once memorized, it's not difficult. Final stage is harder, but when you've learned to one-life up until the the twin boss, you can just bomb the crap out of the rest of whatever is in your way.

Gaijin Punch wrote:Space Harrier: You know, I've played it for ages and never took it too seriously other than when I was a kid, playing it on my SMS (3 continues only). I decided I should clear it once and for all, and did (PS2 Sega Ages version). It's 17 stages. Definitely not short. :)

I tried it again, and managed to get the hang of some things. It's a great game that I'll have to play through later.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:37 pm

I think my best Cannon Dancer run was 1 life up to somewhere in the last stage. Maybe not. The boss of the 2nd to the last stage is a bit hit and miss with me either.

I was able to no miss that stage w/ the flying pricks, but it's easy to goof up, especially when you're flying all over the place.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:09 pm

hey GP heres revenge for that Galuda score you pulled out of your ass ;)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:32 pm

Ha -- nice one. Was that a clear?

That Galuda score hardly came out of my ass though... I think I have a whole list of only slightly lower scores under it on my memory card. Need to get a better Ageha one, that's for sure.

The worst case of pimping was done by MMM on Galuda II one time. When I was still in 1st at shmups, he beat my score of then 400+ million by like 30,000 points. Probably couldn't do that if you tried.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:17 am

sadly i have still to get the clear so theres still room for some improvement (this run was far from optimal actually I just did a decent stage 5 to get that score.).

30K in galuda 2 is NOTHING, man what a stinger :P

and yeah i realise that galuda is one of those games where you just grind out scores but still.. you sure posted it in my face over on shmups thats for sure :finger: haha.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:19 am

If I'm not mistaken, I was provoked...

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:35 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I was provoked...

most definetly.. gotta spice those HS threads up a bit, it was just poor timing on my behalf :P

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:17 pm

100%... in fact, had you made a few mouse clicks over to Cave STG, you'd have known my score. ;)

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:30 am

I hit a personal goal today: almost 1 cc Esprade ;)

Score sucked ass, only a few mill.
Last edited by RadiantSvgun on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:08 am

Beat Contra ARC and Harmful Park (really padding my list now) and got to 2-5 for the first time in DDP.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:44 pm

Kaneda wrote:Beat Contra ARC and Harmful Park (really padding my list now) and got to 2-5 for the first time in DDP.

Dude, are you a machine? O_O

Finally 1cc Double Dragon II arcade and 1cc Haunted Castle arcade.

Man, Arcade Contra is a beast! I can't imagine completing it.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:59 pm

Eh, Contra is pretty much the easiest arcade game there is? Really short too.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:19 pm

Haunted Castle, huh? That's a tough cookie from what I remember. Does the US version have 1-life default like the Japanese?

As zinger said, it is a piece of cake. You should be able to do it in a day or so. Super Contra is much tougher.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:32 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Haunted Castle, huh? That's a tough cookie from what I remember. Does the US version have 1-life default like the Japanese?

As zinger said, it is a piece of cake. You should be able to do it in a day or so. Super Contra is much tougher.

Haunted castle is 1 life, and unlike the Japanese version, your life does not fully refill after each stage.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:58 am

I'm more impressed by you clearing Haunted Castle. It's an awful game and also awfully hard.

Contra ARC is way easy, I beat it after a couple of tries. Working on Super Contra now...

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:30 am

I gave up on Super Contra pretty early on. I hated not being able to fire bullets until my other bullets went off screen.

Return to “Score Attack”