The how long will it take to clear, thread...

Remember what it's like to play for score? Post yours in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:40 am

I think I played that one for a day or two, got to stage 4 and remembered that I'm not a *dius player.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:44 pm

World 10 can suck my ass.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:14 am

Done. Might have to try something a bit harder next time. Saved the replay. Not sure if I'll encode it or not.

saucykobold
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby saucykobold » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:42 am

Sexy Parodius

Going for a 1cc, including the special stage (which is unlocked by satisfying all of the mission requirements -- get enough coins, save enough girls, etc.).

Progress:
7-02-09: Mambo seems like a good character choice. Mission four.
7-03-09: The rank can be brutal if you play with the Manual power-up setting. I've switched to Auto, which seems a bit gentler (not having to deal w/ roulette power-ups is another plus). Hobbled into mission six before getting slaughtered.
7-05-09: Died at the end of mission six. Found a very helpful trick: suicide just before mission two ends (the game won't have time to take a life away). This lowers the rank for a few stages.
7-07-09: Beat mission six and got the good ending. Failed mission five (so no special stage).
7-08-09: Found a sure-fire way to get enough coins in mission five. W/ a force field, you can safely plow through a specific wall near the end. This allows you to camp on a big regenerating coin for several seconds. Made it to the special stage; died quickly.
7-14-09: I've beaten the game a few times now. I'll move on after I beat it w/o dying more than once.
7-15-09: Finally no-missed the game (if you ignore the suicide at the end of mission two).
Last edited by saucykobold on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:18 am

I think stage 4 was my max (or was it 3). How many are there? 7?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:07 pm

I tried a different route (started w/ the water stage) and got a decent run in. 2.87 mil w/ a clear. Will keep trying for 3. I will say there's a certain bullshit factor here not found in Tumble Pop. Seems I'm always puffing one bad guy up, and another one that's covered up hits me. Also, walking from a normal platform on to a spiked one that isn't WAY below you is a no-no.

saucykobold
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby saucykobold » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:41 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I think stage 4 was my max (or was it 3). How many are there? 7?

Eight total. Six regular stages, a boss rush, and a "special" stage at the end (if you qualify).

saucykobold
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby saucykobold » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:14 pm

JoshF wrote:Also: Undercover Cops. Start the clock.

I watched the inp you submitted at Marp. Congrats on the 1CC!

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Thanks. I actually beat it a couple of days ago but I used a macro for that particular run so I couldn't submit it. It got kinda lol at the end but oh well. Rather work on Captain Commando than clean up my skills in this game.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:28 pm

1CC, eh? I'm impressed.

What macro did you use?

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:01 am

Button 1 + Button 2

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:11 am

Button 1 + Button 2

Ruldra
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Ruldra » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:30 pm

Working on Tatsujin Oh right now...33 hours in so far, can get halfway through stage 5. I predict at least another 30 hours before I can beat the loop.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:05 am

Out of curiousity, how long did Dogyuun take? I played it a lot a couple of months ago but was frustrated by the fluctuating bullet speed; everytime I would no-miss far enough it would get so brutal as to make me rethink my strategies for each section that I had gotten through before when the rank was low.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:45 am

You guys are far more ambitious than me... although I have a Batrider PCB here that's screaming my name.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:01 am

Advanced course? Should be rather doable if you don't have any score ambitions and stick to the Batrider ships so as not to trigger any additional bosses.

I made a list of my gaming goals that should keep me busy for the next ten years. I've considered posting here my progress with (more like struggle with) Gunbird 2 but it would probably only depress me further. MAME clock is at over 120 hours...

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:59 am

I assume that's for 2 loops, not one, right? I'll be doing the Advanced Course, yet. I know dick about the game though, really, other than the little I've played, and the Yagawa-ness of it (in general).

Goals... hm... sounds like a thread.

Ruldra
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Ruldra » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Kaneda wrote:Out of curiousity, how long did Dogyuun take? I played it a lot a couple of months ago but was frustrated by the fluctuating bullet speed; everytime I would no-miss far enough it would get so brutal as to make me rethink my strategies for each section that I had gotten through before when the rank was low.

Dogyuun took me a little more than a month, but I didn't play it exclusively during that time. My effective play time was 32 hours.

And yeah, the bullet speed was pissing me off as well. I just can't manage the game at max rank. I took the lazy route and, instead of learning how to survive when the bullets are fast, I just played hoping that I'd have enough spare lives to make it to the end. If you don't make any mistakes and only die when the rank maxes, you should reach the final boss on your last life. Practice his patterns for a while and the loop is yours.

saucykobold
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby saucykobold » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:21 pm

I think I'm done w/ Sexy Parodius. I couldn't find a continuous run on Youtube, so I uploaded one.

Ruldra wrote:Working on Tatsujin Oh right now...33 hours in so far, can get halfway through stage 5. I predict at least another 30 hours before I can beat the loop.

Good luck. How hard is it to recover from a death in the latter levels?

Ruldra
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Ruldra » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:36 am

In general recovering isn't hard; in fact the most deadly checkpoints (where it's game over if you die) are actually located in stages 2 and 3 (towards the end where the green ships swarm you and after the midboss, respectively). If you know what's coming it isn't hard to recover in stage 5. No idea about stage 6 though.

The start of stage 5, however, deserves a mention for being easier if you die there and lower the rank. At max rank it's pretty much impossible (unless you memorize the whole section).

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:46 am

How many stages does Tatsujin-Oh have? I've played the FM-Towns version only. I've not given Tatsujin much time either, unfortunately. If I were ever to tackle a Toaplan game it would likely be V-V, as I own the kit and have only gotten to stage 4 on a single credit. Pretty hard in it's own right, definitely.

I'm kind of off shooters for the moment though. Enjoying platforming...my first love.

Ruldra
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Ruldra » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Tatsujin Oh has only 6 stages, but it takes a whole hour to beat them all. The very long stages put a lot of people off, but you come to appreciate the game once you get used to it.

You should try beating Outzone at some point. It's awesome and not that hard.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:32 am

Is Fixeight really as brutal as the bootleg version which is the only version working in mame? The time limits for each stage as well seems retarded.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:39 am

No, the PCB gives you much more time (although its still a challenging game). The bootleg version on MAME has these impossible time limits that send out those spiked balls way too early, so it`s essentially unplayable.

LaserGun
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby LaserGun » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:25 am

I can get to stage 4 on the Fixeight bootleg now, it's not that hard, you have to sprint through the first stage pretty much, the next 2 stages are a bit more lenient with time. Knowing when to bomb is the key, I made it to stage 4 without bombing once, could of easily gone farther if I hadn't been stingy and dipped into my incredibly large bomb stock when I found myself in trouble.

The thing I actually hate most about the game are the graphics and sound, it's really rough on the eyes and ears. Outzone looks and sounds great, Fixeight just sounds so rough and looks washed out.

Anyway, I'm hoping I can beat BBH's MARP score on the game.

Return to “Score Attack”