Dork out: Game Goals...

Remember what it's like to play for score? Post yours in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: Dork out: Game Goals...

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:23 pm

You playing the X68000 version in emulation or on the Playstation? You getting sexual favors from the woman after every successful 1CC? Didn't think so. ;)
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:You playing the X68000 version in emulation or on the Playstation?

I'm playing the Playstation version on an emulator. I have the PS1 game back home in the states, but I'm not about to make the commute just for that. Never thought about looking into X68000 emulators but that's an idea.

You getting sexual favors from the woman after every successful 1CC? Didn't think so. ;)

As a matter of fact, I've found that clearing crusty old 2D platformers makes women go absolutely nuts. Once they see me use the holy water trick on Death, the panties just slide right off.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:10 am

Kaneda wrote: holy water trick = the panties slide off.

men have been doing this in bars all over the world for years! ;)
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:30 pm

New goal, 1cc my new Riot board, currently playing on default settings meaning zero extra lives. Though you get an extra half-way through stage 2. Not sure if this game is technically doable as it's the hardest thing I've played in a long time, but damn it's a rush.

Finally got to Round 3 on one credit, and I was actually sweating, this game is intense. ;)
Stronger then your average deadite

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:07 pm

This game is totally memorization based but in a fun way. Need to know the patterns, need to know when to go slow, when to roll, and when to run for it. Amazingly fun with a great sense of style. Managed to get to Round 3 a couple times today without dieing. Almost made it to the boss but not quite. Took a lot out of me though, time for sleep. :)

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:41 am

Managed to get to Round 4 on a single credit. :) I totally suck at the Round 3 boss, I mess up the roll timing on him every time. This game requires tons of memorization, but once you do it's quite fair imo. Plenty of life restoring items if you don't get hit too often. ;)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:52 am

How many stages?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:How many stages?

6 total. The game is so well made it's a shame it didn't get an official Japanese release. Round 4 is a lot simpler and easier then the first 3, giving you a much deserved break after the first 3, getting your fingers ready for the final 2. I still lose way too much health on the damn 3rd boss though. Roll a millisecond too early or too late and bye-bye 1/3 of your health. I'm really hoping Round 5 has another Extend on it, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Really enjoying it though, already my favorite game in it's very limited genre.

Feels good to finally reach the top of the score board on it:

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:35 am

Ok seem to have finally gotten the Round 3 boss down. :) Not too bad really, just very easy to fuck up. But I suppose it's only fair since nothing in the foreground can actually hit you during his fight, and there are no bullets either. Round 4 is a break for sure, very easy to get through without a hit if you are paying attention, and the boss is a joke. Now Round 5 is gonna take awhile I think. Total insanity with enemies everywhere. My hope was right, there is a 1-UP on Round 5. But even getting there with out dieing once I still got my ass kicked. LOL. This one is gonna take pure memorization I think...

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:08 am

Is riot really that hard? In mame I could get to the last stage after only a few credits of practice. Either your pcb has different difficulty, or maybe you aren't using autofire?
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:45 pm

No auto-fire. :) Also the mame dump is a different rom version from my board. Possible differences, on my board and according to the dip sheet, default is Zero stocks. And there are many attacks that take off half your life in one hit. So one wrong move can seal your fate at times.

My wrist started to really hurt from all the mashing, so I took a week off from the game. hehe, gonnna go back to it soon.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Yeah thats a shitload harder. In mame it defaults to 3 lives I think and I'm pretty sure no attacks take off half of your life.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:10 pm

I find the lack of recent game goals disturbing....

After talking about how much I liked Sengoku in my Neo-Geo thread, I finally decided to give it the 1CC treatment it deserves. I owned it on home cart a long time ago, but I never got around to putting in the time to get it on one credit. Current progress is I can make it to about the middle of stage 5 on one credit. I think stage six is just a boss fight but I can't remember. There are a couple of bumps in stage 4 I need to iron out, so I think I will do some recording tomorrow night. There are a few places in the later stages where even the smallest mistake is catastrophic and will blow the whole run.

Some basic tips:
Never try to fight the samurai enemies with the single katana that you receive from the red orb. They will dust you every time. Either don't pick it up and fight them bare handed or transform and shoot them with projectiles.

If you meet the samurai's attack with either the first or second hit of your attack string you can break their swords every time. Unlike other side scrollers, your attack string doesn't reset when you stop attacking, it just picks up where you left off. So if you know you are going to have to go against them bare handed, press attack until the kick comes out to bring your attack string back to the beginning. Then wait for them to come to you and press attack as soon as they swing. After you break their sword, they will shake their head and throw it away. Move forward until your character is inside their body and attack. You can kill them without taking any damage.

10 green orbs will give you back one life block. If you collect them when your life bar is full, they will stock and can keep you from taking damage. Also, collecting any orb will give you about two seconds of invincibility. So you can time the pickups to protect you in some areas.

Your main character and all the transformations except for the samurai warrior have an undocumented attack performed by holding down the A button. Your human form and the ninja dog will release a burst of energy. The ninja warrior will shrink. There is only one area in stage 4 where I think that shrink power is useful. Also, don't overlook the ninja dog, he is one of the best transformations in the game.

I am going back to visit my folks for the 4th, so I probably won't have this done and dusted until around the middle of July. As soon as I get the vidya up, I will post a link here.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:45 am

mackdangerously wrote:I find the lack of recent game goals disturbing....

Sorry for the late reply.

I agree, it sucks, but I think this is something that happens to genres (IE, ones that actually have scores) that appeal to people in the older demographic. My life was slowly getting harder and harder, and then I got hit w/ a big doozy of which I'm still trying to recover. Once I find gainful employment and all that shit I hope to sit down and relax. However, as I'm now on the job hunt again (there is some traction, so it's not like I'm getting told to fuck off), one thing has been made clear: I need to continually polish my skills and learn new shit. Shit is fucking crazy. I'm afraid to apply for jobs b/c they look like they'd pin me in one area and I'd never get out. All that equals a ton of time, unfortunately.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:32 pm

Hopefully everything will work out and you can get back to some gaming soon. I have been bouncing around between my systems lately, so I haven't gotten any vids made yet. I need to make a list or something.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:00 am

Finally achieved 100% completion in Super Mario 3D World. It's probably my new favorite Mario game.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:46 am

JoshF wrote:Finally achieved 100% completion in Super Mario 3D World. It's probably my new favorite Mario game.

Is that on par with something like Mario Galaxy? I got 100% in Super Mario Galaxy 2, and sat there and watched my son delete it. O.o

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:25 am

I haven't played either Galaxy game so I can't compare them. Something about the gravity gimmick and waggling for those star bits rubbed me the wrong way at the time, but after seeing some footage of Galaxy 2's course designs I think I'll give it a shot some day.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:29 am

I really liked it... in fact been thinking of snagging my kid's Wii (it's gathering dust) and playing it. I'd need to find a way to convert the component cables to HDMI though.

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:49 am

Gaijin Punch wrote: I'd need to find a way to convert the component cables to HDMI though.

You could just buy the converter and be done with it.

Bought Suikoden 1 + 2 years ago. Now I'm going to play them to completion. (maybe :roll: )

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:21 am

I assume they are easy to find? Seriously never looked for one. Next step after that would be an Xbox that plays Japanese games.

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:18 am

ebay, amazon, etc for about 10 bucks

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby schadenfreude » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:44 am

JoshF wrote:Finally achieved 100% completion in Super Mario 3D World.

Did you play it solo or with others? I played this and New Super Mario Bros. U for a couple of hours with two others and always got annoyed by how they turned themselves into bubbles when about to die.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:11 am

Since I got my Cadash PCB I am doing a Magician run, no death, no grinding. I have never actually beaten the game before so I decided to go all out from the start. You would be surprised how many "reviews" of this game encourage grinding and then say the game is too easy.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:08 pm

I think I will post some progress videos of games I am playing from time to time. Here is one showing how I am doing in Cadash so far, with a few notes.
In addition to no death, no grinding, I am also not buying healing items. Ever since I started importing games when I was in college, if the game is Japanese and it asks me for a name I always pick the one you see in the video, kakashi (scarecrow). I don't remember why I started doing that or if I even had a reason in the first place. If you are playing the western version, the only acceptable name is of course ASS.

I messed up and got hit on the Kraken boss because I jumped too early on the second attack.

I know where the secret magic lamp is but I didn't get it because I want to try finding as many secrets as I can myself. Also, the flashing effect is really annoying. I found it on accident when an enemy hit me and bounced back into the false wall.

I also screwed up on the caterpillar boss. If I would have launched that fire wall spell a second sooner, I would have one shot him.

There were also a couple of other small mistakes here and there but nothing really noteworthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gmbdcUghfM

Also, here is a picture of my home made SuperGun

Return to “Score Attack”