Dork out: Game Goals...

Remember what it's like to play for score? Post yours in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Thu May 05, 2011 2:23 pm

Beat the original Castlevania for Famicom on a credit and am moving on to the crustier Vampire Killer for MSX. At first I thought it was a complete mess but I'm starting to warm up to it.

1 down, 13 to go.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu May 05, 2011 2:37 pm

I like your Castlevania project. Some of the games are pretty challenging, such as the X68k version.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 am

SFC Akumajo XX I remember as being a bit of a cunt at the end. The only one I 1-credited was Dracula X on the PC-Engine. Not too hard if you don't get hung up on a few spots. Takes a while though.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Sun May 08, 2011 11:46 am

Yea, PCE Dracula X was the only one (before now) that I had beaten on a credit. Probably the easiest, but also perhaps the best.

On Saturday I beat both the MSX2 Vampire Killer and Haunted Castle on a coin apiece. I was surprised that I beat Haunted Castle so quickly since it seems so hard, but there are really only a few spots that are rough. Stage 3 seems to be far and away the toughest part of the game, it gets easier from there. In all, I think it took 3 or 4 hours to beat, making it the easiest one so far.

Shitty games though, both of em. I'm in a real rough patch with the series. It started strong with the first game but stumbles a bit with those two and now Simon's Quest which I'm starting. Doing this on a credit will be a pain.

But enough talk, have at you!

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Tue May 10, 2011 10:57 pm

I've never understood the hate for MSX2 Dracula. It's a great game, it's also very easy. Beating both loops on 1 life is very easy to do. I always thought the haters were just the emulation players, since they have no idea what the items do. :)

And I LOVE the arcade game. A bit unfinished, but I can play that for hours, once you get into the groove, you'll counter-stop it in no time. :)
Stronger then your average deadite

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Wed May 11, 2011 6:57 am

I didn't like the MSX2 game because it just felt like an inferior version of the Famicom game. Uglier graphics (although they're sharper), worse controls, tacked-on exploring elements...just not very good. If it were an entirely new game I would give it more credit, but it's subpar Castlevania.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed May 11, 2011 12:25 pm

I think the arcade game has a reputation of being so hard because of the US Version (Haunted Castle), which Konami made much more difficult. The Japanese release is very playable and quite an easy 1CC once you know what to do. (If I could 1CC it, it's gotta be easy.)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 11, 2011 2:04 pm

I think Shou 1CC'ed it, and he's crap. Haha! Seriously, easy? I might give it a shot if I'd ever get off this weird western game kick. I feel all weird and icky... but having fun. Like middle position in an orgy.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed May 11, 2011 2:10 pm

The x68k Dracula is not hard, I have no idea why people keep saying this. On my first proper attempt I got to the last stage. I think its just people losing all their lives on the raft bit in stage 2 because they don't know you can destroy the enemies projectiles. Its probably about as hard as the SFC Dracula to clear.

Dracula XX on SFC is without a doubt the hardest in the series.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Thu May 12, 2011 1:39 am

GP, I think you`d beat the arcade game in no time at all. It really is deceptively easy (the Japanese one that is).

I`m looking forward to when I get to the 16-bit stuff in the series. The Famicom games are good, but finally giving Bloodlines and Drac XX quality time are part of why I started this `challenge`.

Simons Quest is proving to be a pain in the ass to 1CC, since its not really designed that way (although theres a good ending if you do it with few continues and in a quick time). If you know what to do the game is really easy, but its still pretty long and its easy to fall into the water. Its a good thing you get a couple of spare lives, but all that leveling up and item hunting can be dashed by one poorly-timed jump in a town.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 12, 2011 5:44 am

Might give it a whirl one day. If I get into another arcade game, I'm probably going to break out my Crackdown PCB again. I tried Bonanza Bros. but could never get past stage 7 on a single credit. I thought there were 10 stages, but there's 12 (credit fed) and one of them (either 11 or 12) is an ass whore.

RU counting Vampire Killer in the series? It's a not too hard 1CC.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Thu May 12, 2011 7:22 am

Absolutely. (I take it you mean Bloodlines?)

The games I'll be playing, in order they were released:

Castlevania (FC)
Vampire Killer (MSX2)
Simon's Quest
Haunted Castle
Castlevania The Adventure (Gameboy, yuck)
Castlevania III
Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge (GB)
Super Castlevania IV
Kid Dracula
Akumajou Dracula (X68k)
Dracula X (PCE)
Bloodlines
Dracula XX
Castlevania Legends

Sucks that I'll be ending on a Gameboy game.

Note: I played Haunted Castle before Simon's Quest because I was looking at the vgmuseum site and they had it listed before SQ I think because of the NA release, but I'll be sticking to the JPN release order from now on.

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Thu May 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Dracula XX on the SFC is not very hard, maybe it's hard for a console game.

Belmont's Revenge on the GB is very enjoyable, btw.
ein Ja, ein Nein, eine gerade Linie, ein Ziel.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Sat May 14, 2011 9:05 am

XX has terrible controls and wonky hit detection, getting used to that is the challenge. Are you playing USA or JP Castlevania 3? JP one is way eaiser to clear.

Castlevania Adventure has really grown on me. I can 1 life clear it without much trouble now. It's old and slow, but only 4 stages, and stage 3 is one of the best stages in the entire series in my opinion.

Again the arcade game is quite forgiving. Falling in pits doesn't even kill you, just subtracts some life and sends you back. In the JP version you can't die from falling, though fall enough times and the timer will screw you over. If I can reach Stage 40 (Counter-stopped on stage 38), anyone should be able to clear the first loop.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Sun May 15, 2011 12:01 pm

I was going to play JPN Castlevania 3 because I want to play the "original" versions of each game, but if its too scrubby I'll play the US one. Strange that the Western versions are harder, that's usually not the case, but maybe that speaks to how much more popular it is there than in Japan.

Is there a game in the series you haven't beaten yet? What's your favorite?

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Sun May 15, 2011 12:59 pm

USA CIII is way harder towards the end. They added bats to the final pendulum jump part. (No enemies in the JP version here). Also in JP if you die at Dracula you restart right outside his room and there is a cross waiting for you. In USA die at Dracula and you go way farther back, and his room only has a dagger.

If you use the alternate characters it gets really easy, as Grant is flat out broken in the JP version as his unlimited throwing daggers just murder everything.

I've beaten most of the real games. After Circle of the Moon the series got really boring. Still haven't beaten Legends though as the game is so boring. I've actually fallen asleep while playing it....made by Konami's shitty Nagoya team and it shows.

Favorite is probably CIII, as a kid it was the only one I had. Played it almost every day. My least favorite is probably IV. Great atmosphere ruined by crap design and lame bosses.

One of these days I need to get me a Vs. Castlevania pcb set. Easily the hardest game in the series, should be good fun. :)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun May 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Kaneda wrote:Strange that the Western versions are harder, that's usually not the case,

Actually it is, for that era, at least. No rentals in Japan meant people would buy a game even if it could be cleared without devoting your life to it.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Fri May 20, 2011 5:45 am

SuperDeadite wrote:Castlevania Adventure has really grown on me. I can 1 life clear it without much trouble now. It's old and slow, but only 4 stages, and stage 3 is one of the best stages in the entire series in my opinion.

And I thought Haunted Castle was bad. This game sucks in all the ways games can. Unresponsive controls, it moves as if in permanent slowdown, the music stinks, the graphics blow, no subweapons, ropes instead of stairs...and yet, still oddly compelling. I like it more than Haunted Castle and Vampire Killer MSX, and I don`t know why.

Thats four lame games in a row now. How this series continued can only be because of the quality of the first.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Fri May 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Unrelated question: Does anybody know what the default extend settings for Cannon Dancer are?

Isn't there only one? Damn, drawing a blank.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Re: Dork out: Game Goals...

Postby Kaneda » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:22 am

Finally, fucking finally, I beat Castlevania III on a credit. For some reason I was playing the US version and it was pounding my balls so I gave up on it a couple of times only to keep returning. But this time...I was the winner.

It's certainly better than the previous few installments but I think it's just too long. Some of the later stages just dragged with too much forced waiting.

And so the Castlevania marathon goes on. Next up...Kid Dracula for Famicom. Doesn't this one have Klansmen?

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:32 am

man im gonna start playing again, one hour a day and starting with 1-alling/+300mil espgaluda 2 (which is about time as ive had it for years without playing it).

even booked it in my calendar, I had too, thats how messed up i am these days..
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:14 pm

You never cleared it? It's a tough cookie... probably Cave's last game that's "just hard".

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:41 am

I've been pretty busy the past couple weeks with my Castlevania marathon, 1CC'ing the following:

Kid Dracula (Famicom)
Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge (Gameboy)
Super Castlevania IV (SFC)
Kid Dracula (Gameboy)

And I just started working on Akumajou Dracula X68000 which will probably take a lot longer than most of the others. Great game, though.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:54 pm

You go girl!
No Dracula XX for SFC? That one is a total whore from what I remember. Only one I've ever done is Dracula X on the PC-Engine.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:23 am

I'm going in the order they were released so after X68000 its Rondo, Bloodlines, then XX. I've only ever played the first stage of XX and thought it was good, but everyone seems to hate the game so I'm curious to see what I'll think after extended play time.

CV4 was better than I used to think, although I still don't like it as much as a lot of people do. So far, X68000 poops on it.

Return to “Score Attack”