gamengai High Score Competition The Second: Bay Route

Remember what it's like to play for score? Post yours in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:05 pm

Gaijin Punch - 104,850 - Stage 3

Not quite feeling this game yet. I'm really irked that the blue capsules give you an empty life container.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:12 pm

That doesn't bug me as much as how your life doesn't refill--at least to the original two bars--when you die.
You also distaste me with passion!

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Yeah its all about keeping your life containers decently full, having them all empty renders your actual lives count pretty much useless, as full life containers counts for pretty much having like 7 lives, and getting hit wont make you lose your weapon upgrades.

By the end of the hoverbike section in stage 4 you should be decently topped up with filled life containers, just don't lose them from there on ;)
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:30 am

Damn is that a brutal way to start a stage--all those little spread shot bastards and you with just your wimpy unidirectional machine gun.

gsl - 233,900 - 6

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:55 am

Nice one, GSL. Going to try to get some play time in tonight when I get rid of all these boxes. How long are we playing to? I will be gone from the 31st on, but feel free to keep it going.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:23 am

Playing for another day

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:14 am

I'm done. Played a few more credits today, but I just can't grasp the randomness on every single level this game employs. And as a programmer, there's a few spots that pop up now and again that irk the fuck out of me.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:47 am

What are the bits that bug you? There are a lot of questionable design decisions, but they haven't really gotten to me because I don't get the feeling, as with some poorly-implemented games, where the issues seem to work against the player to make the title more difficult than it needs to be. I've never felt like a death or getting hit was something at all out of my control or a consequence of my not having 'studied' enough, which I've always been big on.

Don't have time for a credit tonight, but maybe I'll give it a few more after work tomorrow.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:13 am

I've had a few bullets not kill the bad guys b/c they're right on the edge of the screen. A few of the flying guys have shot at me well into their death-animation, etc. Those two seem sloppy to me. I guess my mind just won't accept that this isn't Contra (always trying to shoot down, shitty results shooting diagonally, etc.).

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:48 am

Whoo, it took an awful long time to get in my groove for this one tonight. I wish there was some way of starting and stopping input recording from within the playing game so you don't have to drop back out to the MAME Plus! interface if you botch a run and want to start again. Would be nice if you could make the scanlines option persistent as well.

gsl ("GAA") - 265,300 - 7

Was thinking that 250k would be a good thing to shoot for, so I'm pretty happy. I assume 7 is the final stage? There's no other excuse for what a prick the boss is in contrast to all of the others.

I did tonight identify the one buggy aspect of the game that really pisses me off--the guys with the olive colored pants who hurl grenades. The grenade effect (that is, kicking your ass) is not limited to the area taken up by the explosion sprite, but instead extends a mysterious amount further. Attempting to jump over the explosions is futile, because you'll still fucking die if you cleared the explosion (and half the time the explosion sprite seems to bug out and not even appear). It's almost like if your character is on the same X-coordinate of the playing field as the explosion you're screwed, regardles to your vertical position.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:38 pm

Should have ended this days ago but got caught up in new years stuff. Greatsaintlouis is winner!

And yeah, 7 is the last stage. I really wanted to get a clear on this but I think I only ended up having about 4 credits. Thankfully my fear of it being too easy for people was proved wrong, I think I underestimated what I learned from my past experiences with the game.

That last boss battle is one of the standout aspects of the game to me. I find it really unique, with the girl held hostage at the end of the screen while you fight the big bazooka guy, and then out of nowhere that damn metal skeleton thing comes ;)

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:52 pm

Forgot to check into this thread for a few days. It was a fun little game!

At first I was a bit concerned about the actual difficulty--the first and second levels, for the most part, seemed like they would be pretty easy once you figured out the basic enemy patterns and accounted for cheap shots. In reality it wasn't quite that easy, and progressing through the later levels was a nice challenge. I'm actually considering getting the PCB. That last boss was quite interesting (despite the fact that he killed me with ruthless efficiency)--in fact, aside from the bosses of the first two stages, I thought the bosses were all pretty creative and nicely designed.

Speak of, does anyone here own the PCB and can provide a few pictures? I can't seem to find any confirmed images of the board itself, and the one listing I've stumbled across ("untested board", not clear enough to make out writing on chips/PCB etc.) has a picture quite a bit different from system16.com's generic System 16B photo, but I'm not sure if the second ROM boards just come in different sizes or what.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:07 pm

Congrats on slaughtering me, guys. I actually played only a little less than I thought I would due to time constraints. I'm just not at a place where I can play 2-3 hours per day. I think I have some things here for GSL. I'll add that Arcadia to the stack.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:25 am

Awesome, thanks! I'll be looking forward to it.

Return to “Score Attack”