gamengai High Score Competition 3: Wolf Fang

Remember what it's like to play for score? Post yours in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

gamengai High Score Competition 3: Wolf Fang

Postby Macaw » Sun May 09, 2010 5:07 am

Wolf Fang, Data East, 1991

RULES

- Must be the Japanese version, Wolf Fang, not the western version Rohga. All the branching paths are cut out of Rohga meaning there are only 5 stages instead of 12, which also means there is no special mode

- Both Normal and Special modes allowed - After putting in a coin you can hold down the shot and sub weapon buttons and then press start to choose special mode. This puts the game on hard mode and also removes the branching paths and makes you play through all 12 stages in a single run. 'Mode' in the score format below refers to if you played in normal or special mode

- Arcade, Playstation and Saturn versions allowed

- End Time: Sunday 23rd of May

Tips

- Down + jump makes you dash

- Holding down while jumping makes you land faster

- You can easily get trapped by bullets if you let too many enemies get on screen. Make sure to take out certain tougher stuff with your melee weapon when you can

Code: Select all

- High Score Format -

Player Name - Mode - Robot Number - Stage - Score

Code: Select all

- High Scores -

1: Macaw - Special - 62 - 4B - 1,070,680
2: zinger - Normal - 02 - 4D - 364,380
3: Gaijin Punch - Normal - 50 - 4B - 361,770
4: gsl - Normal - 56 - 3B - 163,630
5: ...
Last edited by Macaw on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:59 am, edited 24 times in total.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun May 09, 2010 5:18 am

Some resources:

http://www.wolffang.in/ (The largest fan site with a complete database of all information regarding the game)

http://www32.atwiki.jp/rohga/pages/30.html (Fan site with heaps of strategy and info, and video links for various strategies)

For people with no Japanese knowledge, you can simply search 'Wolf Fang' in youtube to find a whole bunch of superplay vids.

Also here's an insane page of a dude who's made models of all 64 robots and databased it:
http://hanegaru.main.jp/hfwolffang_001.htm

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun May 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Cheers for all this. I think it's going to take me a while to zero in on a robot type. I've also found the start of stage 2 a bit of a whore at times. The one time I made it through unscathed Mame "froze" then went through a shitload of frames to catch up. Result: -3 damage. :/
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon May 10, 2010 2:08 pm

Anyone else finding Electriger by far the best subweapon for survival?

At the moment I am taking the hard route on stage 3, simply because the boss of the stage. the 'Prototype", is freakin awesome. A half constructed mech that yells WELCOME TO SCRAP CITY, I WILL SCRAP YOU

The enemies obviously had their priorities straight when they programmed their robots to yell cool shit at you with an awesome voice ;)

And practically all the other robot bosses in the game also seem to feel the need to call you scrap endlessly hahha.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon May 10, 2010 4:22 pm

I've found that as well w/ the electro trigger. Not gotten to the boss yet. :( Worked late today, so haven't gotten any time in.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 pm

Electriger is good, but I'm trying to decide between it and the fire rain thing--both are working pretty well for me. The homing missles and grenades are decent, when they actually connect.

Am I the only one that feels totally boned whenever I get either the laser or grenade main weapon? I can't for the life of me use those effectively.
You also distaste me with passion!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 11, 2010 12:15 am

Laser on the boss works out for me. That grenade launcher thing can suck my booty!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 11, 2010 2:53 am

Gonna go ahead and post a score

Gaijin Punch - Normal - 59 - 3B -190,220

That robot number might change though.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue May 11, 2010 4:11 am

I just use vulcan 100% of the time currently.

@Greatsaintlouis: You know Electriger cancels out enemy bullets right? I really want to use the fire storm but its tough after being so used to just having Electriger save my ass whenever a bullet comes.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue May 11, 2010 5:24 pm

For those that haven't seen it yet, this page has a map of all the stages played in each mode http://www32.atwiki.jp/rohga/pages/14.html

A are the hardest stages and they get easier until D which is the easiest. The stage 5 you get is dependent on which stage 4 you had, so if you have 4-C you will get 5-C.

In the special mode you do the easier stages first then move to the harder ones, as can be seen on that page.

Regardless of what the game thinks, I actually find the 3-A boss much easier than the 3-B boss. If you pick 3-A though, then your stuck with either Hrungnir or Nornir as stage 5 bosses, both of which look like real bastards in the vids.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 11, 2010 11:38 pm

The midboss on Stage 3 still takes at least 2 blocks of energy (if not more) from me. I did manage to get to stage 4 w/ quite a bit of life left, but cocked it up pretty good.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed May 12, 2010 3:43 am

Those mini boss robots are quite easily once you know the pattern. As they jump at you with their sword keep moving back until you hit the back of the screen and they wont hit you, then as they move back along the screen you stay close to them hitting them with your melee weapon. If they don't jump when coming towards you then jump over them and repeat the process on the other side. Depending on their positioning when they start their charge they might still hit you if you back yourself up against the wall, so you have to make sure they are fully on the other side when they start.

The tough thing is when you have to battle two of them at once in some of the harder stages. Always makes me lose a bunch of energy.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed May 12, 2010 6:06 am

Macaw wrote:@Greatsaintlouis: You know Electriger cancels out enemy bullets right? I really want to use the fire storm but its tough after being so used to just having Electriger save my ass whenever a bullet comes.

Yeah, I noticed that; also thought the fire rain did, but that might just be me not paying attention. The bullet cancelling is nice, but I was looking for a special that did a bit more damage, and--unless I'm reading the graphs wrong--the Electriger is the weakest of the bunch. I'll try it a bit more though and see how it works.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed May 12, 2010 3:56 pm

Its definitely the weakest, mostly a defensive weapon.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 13, 2010 3:27 am

Gaijin Punch - Normal - 59 - 4D -294,170

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri May 14, 2010 4:26 am

Macaw - Normal - 64 - 5D - 550,330

Going for the easiest route now so I can get a normal mode clear.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Tue May 18, 2010 1:09 am

Finally sat down and gave this a good play.

gsl - Normal - 56 - 3-B - 163,630
Can't decide between types 56 and 60, and I'm not sure what exactly the practical differences are between the leg types anyways.

I really like the design for Stage 3, what with all the activity in the background, flares going up, etc. I just wish the damned trees were a bit more transparent in the foreground--pretty easy for the little enemies or bullets to get lost in that.

I noticed that when you're just down to your pilot, your score starts climbing the longer you stay alive. I've tried doing this as a scoring strategy, but I'm starting to think it really should be left as a last resort--your weapon sucks, there's no sub-weapon, and the hit box isn't nearly as small as I assume it ought to be. Plus, you get a few of the following gunners and some nice flicker starts acting up the moment a few bullets show up onscreen, and it's all over from there.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 18, 2010 2:02 am

I can't say the foregrounds don't annoy me...even the subtle ones in 3B. 4D is even worse. I've upped my score, getting to the 4th boss, but Macaw is way in the lead. Didn't play yesterday unfortunately. Enjoying it, although the stages seem a bit long at points.

Forgot my time now, but I'm using Electrigger + moose knuckle + 4 legs

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue May 18, 2010 4:32 am

Greatsaintlouis wrote:I noticed that when you're just down to your pilot, your score starts climbing the longer you stay alive. I've tried doing this as a scoring strategy, but I'm starting to think it really should be left as a last resort--your weapon sucks, there's no sub-weapon, and the hit box isn't nearly as small as I assume it ought to be. Plus, you get a few of the following gunners and some nice flicker starts acting up the moment a few bullets show up onscreen, and it's all over from there.

I've always wondered about this too. You would think that Japanese superplays would therefore go the entire game in this mode, but there is NO SUPERPLAY VIDEO AT ALL where they try and abuse this for score. Even the world record scores in gamest end with at least 2 zero's indicating they didn't use it (unless by pure chance they ended the game on a hundred or thousand number)

My theory is that because bosses time out, and have a lot of rewarding destructible parts, its probably better to destroy all the parts and destroy the boss for the boss clear bonus. Its almost impossible to do both of these things without your robot.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 18, 2010 6:53 am

Recovering is nearly impossible as well, right? I got back to the robot once and the weapon still sucked.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue May 18, 2010 10:57 am

Recovering is always possible, just like recovering in a Gradius.

Also I have no idea how your managing with the 4 legs haha, so unbearably slow, I get hit by shit all over the place (or maybe I'm just used to my patterns from using the 6 wheels)

Kudos for using such a cool design though, although I still think the wheels are cooler ;) Seriously that's one of the awesome things about this game, Data East could have just had nothing but generic gundam-esque mech designs, but no, they let you have AN UPPER TORSO OF A ROBOT ATTACHED TO WHEELS. Most hilariously cool thing ever, and lets not forgot to mention the little assault suit guys that latch onto your robot and fight with you!

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Tue May 18, 2010 7:39 pm

I love the extra gunner guys--sometimes seeing them fly off is the easiest way of registering that I got hit when things get hairy.

I've recovered from losing the robot a few times, but it's an uphill battle the whole way--you only get two or three units of life back, so you'll be boned again pretty soon if you're at a tough part. It bugs me that robot parts--I'm specifically thinking of the Charge powerup about 2/3 of the way through stage 2--don't stock when you collect them in robot mode, and you have to start all the way from nothing when you lose the robot.

Found out something interesting last night--I didn't want to play the game of catching the erratically-changing powerup capsule at the wrong moment and getting stuck with the crappy laser or grenade launcher, so I just let it sit onscreen for a whole. After a bit it started flashing orange, then exploded with a pretty damaging effect on a good part of the screen. Kinda interesting.

My robot of choice has been Electriger + Iron Craw + either 4 legs or hover. I like the jumping height versus the speed of the 6 wheels, but I'm not sure what the practical difference between the two is--they're both rated as high jumping and medium speed. I don't quite get the offence/mobility graph on the side or rather, I'm not sure what the offensive aspect of the legs could be. You guys have any idea?

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Tue May 18, 2010 9:07 pm

Greatsaintlouis wrote:Found out something interesting last night--I didn't want to play the game of catching the erratically-changing powerup capsule at the wrong moment and getting stuck with the crappy laser or grenade launcher, so I just let it sit onscreen for a whole. After a bit it started flashing orange, then exploded with a pretty damaging effect on a good part of the screen. Kinda interesting.

That's only when you fire at it for long enough, I think?

I've been travelling for a bit and didn't see this thread until now. Just started playing.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed May 19, 2010 2:37 am

Could be. To be fair, I only let off the fire button between stages, so it's pretty tough to tell what events are brought about by my shooting at things and what just happens on its own.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed May 19, 2010 4:14 am

Yeah its only once you shoot the caspule long enough, just like in Kuuga.

As for the difference between hover and 4 legs, hover only lets you have 2 soldiers latch on and legs lets you have 4, as indicated by the little graphic on the construction screen. Perhaps there is also very slight changes in the jump and speed of each.

Return to “Score Attack”