[AC] Illvelo (Milestone)

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[AC] Illvelo (Milestone)

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:44 am

Website

On Naomi Cart. Location test 09.08 & 09.09 at Club Sega in both Shinjuku & Akihabara.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:34 pm

I really hope Milestone have ditched the cel shading if this turns out to be a shooter.

Hopefully you have a chance to check it out Gaijin Punch.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:37 pm

Yeah, gonna try to swing by tomorrow. That'll technically be my 'exercise' hour. A cycle to Shinjuku is trivial at best though. I think it's only like 2 miles away.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:24 am

Okay, I swung by Shinjuku and gave this a whirl. First, apologies as I was halfway there when I realized I didn't have my camera. So, no pictures or vids.

For those that were ready for Milestone to break out of their cell-shading practices, great news! Cave and G.Rev both have shooting games coming out in a few months don't use use cell-shading. Illvelo, definitely does. In fact, it looks like it's a few steps behind Radilgy in some ways.

For those that though the game was an abbreviation of Illmatic Envelope, you were right. What does Illmatic mean? I have no fucking idea!

The theme is the polar opposite of Karous' dark, goth motif. This one is colorful, and can only be described as web browser meets Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. Pencils, chopsticks, legos... things that really belong in a shooting game are all here. What's w/ the web browser? Well, the game looks like it's being played in one. When you score, or do something else, a drop down menu w/ a mouse pointer shows you what you've done.

Gameplay is pretty much the typical Milestone shell w/ some tweaks. You have three meters to raise: Attack, Close, and Shield. Attack is raised by shooting things (A-button). Close is raised by killing things with your "dolls" (B-button...they don't look like dolls, they're just round circles), and the shield appears when you fire neither of the other two weapons. The differences this time is your shield (which are actually the two dolls) moves to whatever side you last moved the joystick. Somewhat tricky to use compared to Milestone's last two efforts.

From the little I played of it, it's definitely harder than Karous, although the bosses do time out at some point. I didn't get past the second boss though. There are also different items which will change your shot and doll combinations. You can go from rapid, to laser, to other weirder things. Some of the items will make your dolls be a bit more aggressive.

Finally, there is a "special attack" this time which I assume is a bomb. Like a moron, I never used it. The smoke was killing me so I had to cruise. It looks like it would be fun to play for a week at home. In the arcades, there's much better stuff available.

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:37 am

ugh

And here I was hoping Milestone would do something new for a change.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:07 pm

There's some footage at Kobayan and a video right here: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=rxVTzPffUbA (via AM-Net).

The creepy thing here is that it's already their third (fourth, if you count Chaos Field) title in this awful trend of theirs, meaning that it's succeeding somehow. Are even Japanese arcade shooting aficionados this blind nowadays too?

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:25 pm

I hear their next game will feature digitized graphics.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:28 pm

Recap wrote:The creepy thing here is that it's already their third (fourth, if you count Chaos Field) title in this awful trend of theirs, meaning that it's succeeding somehow. Are even Japanese arcade shooting aficionados this blind nowadays too?

The sad thing is that this stuff looks like Picasso compared to Triangle Service. Exzeal is bar none, the ugliest shit on the market.

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:47 pm

Recap wrote:The creepy thing here is that it's already their third (fourth, if you count Chaos Field) title in this awful trend of theirs, meaning that it's succeeding somehow.

At least this time they won't be able to make a quick buck by porting it to the Dreamcast.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:01 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:
Recap wrote:The creepy thing here is that it's already their third (fourth, if you count Chaos Field) title in this awful trend of theirs, meaning that it's succeeding somehow. Are even Japanese arcade shooting aficionados this blind nowadays too?

The sad thing is that this stuff looks like Picasso compared to Triangle Service. Exzeal is bar none, the ugliest shit on the market.

Its annoying because XII Stag was a very good looking game in my opinion. I think their stuff would probably be way more popular if they stuck with 2d.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

icycalm
#1 video game and art theorist in his world
#1 video game and art theorist in his world

Postby icycalm » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:41 pm

Here's another vote for XII Stag looking not too bad at all.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:10 am

Image Image

Indeed. I guess Taito actually had something to do with this game's quality at the end, much like Capcom did with the first Giga Wing titles.

Edit: Or maybe not; previous stuff from these people did already look great:

http://postback.geedorah.com/foros/viewtopic.php?id=409

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:27 am

This game is out now. There's two cabs of it at Mikado. I put a few credits in. They definitely put some work in. It's much more involved than the loke test, which I admit, left me very unimpressed.

The major difference this time is that peppered throughout the game, there are warps that take you to bonus stages (even though you can still die there). Passing some condition, you'll get keys. Get enough keys and "something good happens".

Gameplay is typical Milestone stuff (mayhem) but it's pretty fun. The "doll" (options, basically" can be thrown in multiple directions. Push fire, and they attack. Do nothing, and they are in defense mode. Hold B-down, and they move in tandem with you.

Weapon layout is like Radirgy (normal, laser, and bubble). I will definitely buy a port. It's a fresh change, even though the graphics aren't top notch.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:58 pm

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-z3-49-en-15-Illvelo-70-2z6s.html

Play-Asia supposedly has this game up for Pre-Order. I guess we will find out for certain as we get closer to TGS. Thank god I don't connect my Wii to the Internet, and can still use the Freeloader disc.

Also, not sure what was up with the soundtrack. I am so frustrated. It was on Play-Asia then pulled, with no mention of its release date. I relax from tracking dates on things for like 2 seconds and then its up and sold out on VGM world.

I guess the same thing happened with Karous and I scored that soundtrack eventually. Hopefully the same will happen with Illvelo. I sure could have used that LE bonus disc though * sigh * :(

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:41 am

I think the OST release date is still up in the air. Most likely why. Can't say I'm excited to see this on the Wii. Oh, well.縲

zapeipaa
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby zapeipaa » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:25 am

i saw this game at Sega GiGO in Ikebukuro the other day, and I was like - what the hell is going on?? Seems like warping, changing stages all the time, stage failed / cleared etc.. It was like no control. Didn't appeal to me at all, rather watched the cabinet just next to it, G.Revs new Kikikaikai clone which looked pretty awesome. Except for some annoying boss bullet patterns :/

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:50 am

Except for some annoying boss bullet patterns Irked

And unforgivable graphics?

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:03 am

Yea I am not a big Wii guy either. The system to me is a means to an end to play Ghost Squad. However considering the state of the industry and how downloadable purchases are more like 'extended rentals', the Wii release gives me a tangeable physical copy to own. Granted, there is always the NAOMI ROM board, but it's a bit out of my price range at the moment.

I am not sure how much the soundtrack was going for on VGM World. I spotted one used on Yahoo, but I really want this brand new for myself to open even if the seller has it for mint.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:55 pm

I can get you a sealed one if you want. ;)

Return to “Japanese Video Games”