[AC] Death Smiles [Cave 2007]

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:03 pm

Yeah, my mind isn't really all games these days. Well, it is, but I'm almost always looking at my watch wondering if there's some type of train wreck happening at home. My sis-in-law came over today so it wasn't a big deal. But still... the worse it is, the more I have to hear about it. I came home at 3:20 AM the other day after a poker game. Wasn't very pretty.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:14 pm

Strange that the youtube dudes that shove up video's of everything from the show havnt even put up anything related to OL2..

The cabs for it must've been tucked away where barely many people were or something. Most people people who showed up mainly to see stuff like Tekken 6 and Death Smiles probably dont even know it exists.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:15 pm

Well, Illvelo & Mamoru-kun which have half-decent coverage were in the back ass part of Sega's booth... similar to where Exelica was a year and a half ago.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:20 pm

Macaw wrote:Strange that the youtube dudes that shove up video's of everything from the show havnt even put up anything related to OL2.

There's a two minute video of it here.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:59 am

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:50 am

Loli-riffic!

Apparently Game Magma got theirs in today or yesterday, 100yen a pop but they do provide a headphone jack for the sonic experience. What a weekend to get sick--Kawagoe's ginormous matsuri is also a-happenin' with my attendance (and therefore chance to duck into Magma for a few minutes) looking quite improbable.

JAPJAC
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby JAPJAC » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:56 am

I saw this game at the recent JAMMA Show.

JAPJAC's JAMMA Show 07 Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBLdrLS2fTw

I don`t think it is very good to be honest. I don`t think they will ever be able to beat Ketsui which saddens me. Are Cave a one hit wonder?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:31 am

JAPJAC wrote: Are Cave a one hit wonder?

Everything from Dodonpachi -> Death Smiles except for Pink Sweets. I'd say they're not a one hit wonder. Each game takes a while to really get into. Ketsui is fantastic, but I wouldn't say it's their best. It's very easy to enjoy w/o investing a ton of time into the scoring (although the patterns are another story).

Guwange and ESPGaluda II both have more better thought out scoring systems (although they might be overly complex).

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:44 pm

I finally got to play Death Smiles in Osaka the other day. I like it quite a bit, its not as intense as most Cave shooters (I began on Level 1), but its not really a bad thing. I found it a relaxing game with cool art designs. No one was playing it, but after seeing a gaijin play a few rounds the "pack" gave up on Raiden IV and wanted in. :)
Stronger then your average deadite

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:13 am

It's really interesting, though to be fair I haven't spent much time on it thanks to the 100yen/credit setting at the local arcade (yeah, I realize this is the Japanese norm, but when everything else is 50 yen...). The scoring system is really quite clever and reminds me quite a bit of the Touhou doujin shooters (the whole "max out a counter/gauge for most points" aspect), but the ability to shoot in both directions is quite novel (and my frequent confusion over which way to shoot is possibly the #1 cause of death). I'm not terribly amazing at shooters so I can't say whether this is easier or harder than other Cave offerings, but it does have a nice gradual difficulty ramp that lets you get a few stages behind your belt before things get too hairy.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[ETC] Death Smiles Chord Pianissimo

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:40 pm

Another Cave Piano Arrange track at Chord Pianissimo. Death Smiles this time.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[ETC] Death Smiles Strategy Wiki

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:41 pm

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[360] Death Smiles LE + goodies at Cave Online Festival

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:48 am

At the Death Smiles only Cave Online festival next month, they will not only be taking preorders for the LE version of Death Smiles, but those copies will come w/ a telephone card. The downside is they are asking the full retail price for it 9248 yen, whereas Amazon and other shops usually give you a break of 500-600 yen. It apparently also comes with a "Full Voice DLC" card.

Phonecard
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:41 am

Will yours truly be procuring extra copies? Or is that even allowed?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:40 am

I'll give it a shot. They have limits sometimes though. I definitely have enough interest to make it worth my while.

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:54 am

hey GP, you mean 9.248 yen, I hope :o

Anyway if you are in, I'm in..

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:36 am

Fixed. Yeah, I'll get as many of those as I can. Well, within reason.

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:41 am

But when is Cave OL festival, precisely?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:32 pm

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:44 am

Chances of me being able to preorder these are slim. I will be on a company trip that day, and by my calculations, I'm sure I'll be in a bar well tanked by the time it starts.

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:55 am

So are you hinting I should look for it 'elsewhere' ?! :P

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:31 am

Mappy wrote:So are you hinting I should look for it 'elsewhere' ?! :P

No. I'm telling you directly. ;)
Could happen, but I wouldn't count on it. My hunch is there won't be a shortage of these. Then again, I never thought the dollar/yen would hit 86.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:51 pm

Okay, so who's playing the 360 version? I'll have to say, the only thing missing from this is 240p, and the additions make up for the the lack thereof. Very fun arrange mode. In fact, I've not really played the other two that much.

Downloading the top player's replays is also good cracker.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:34 pm

do you mean.. THE PORT EVER!

:o
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:35 pm

sven666 wrote:do you mean.. THE PORT EVER!

:o

I wouldn't go that far, but given the hardware it's on, it's about as good as it can get. If a future patch has fake scanlines and fixes the few bugs it's got, I'd rank it up there w/ ESPGaluda and DOJ.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”