Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Postby EOJ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:55 am

My copy just arrived today in the mail. Played for about an hour and I'm thoroughly impressed. Haven't had this much fun with a mario game since Super Mario World. ;)

Anyone else pick this up or plan to? Highly recommended.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:56 am

No Wii.
The commercial made it look none too interesting... but, something different for Mario (different means no sports or variety games) is a plus. I still won't pick up a Wii I don't think, but if a few good games that don't require pointless swinging, then I'll consider it.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:59 am

So far it's very easy to control. Just jump with the A button, and wiggle the joystick for your spinning Zangief-esque attack to break stuff. Backflips and such are very intuitive. Much easier to control than the other 3D Mario games, IMO.

The game is awesome. If you love platformers, you have to play this.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:39 am

I'm about to take the plunge and buy Twilight Princess on the GC (JPN one is pretty rare...still sells for 6000 yen or so used). Maybe that will get me into the Nintendo Spirit.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:44 am

TP is okay, but I lost interest after about 5 hours and haven't touched it in months. Too much time spent as a wolf in the game. I will give it another go some time, maybe I'll find it more enjoyable then. I've heard it's a long, drawn-out game though (like 45+ hours).

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:46 am

Shit... I heard it was short. I'm not up for a 45 hour marathon, that's for sure.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:47 am

No, it's definitely a long-ass game. At least based on the impressions of everyone I've read. Apparently there's a good 10-15 hours of filler. That's another reason why I haven't had much urge to play it again.

Just get SMG. You'll need a Wii for that Vanillaware game anyway. ;)

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:16 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Shit... I heard it was short. I'm not up for a 45 hour marathon, that's for sure.
I actually didn't think it was long at all. Nothing compared to Wind Waker, anyway,
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:15 am

How long did it take you, Zebra?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:52 am

Straight through w/ no bullshit, I was just told 12 hours.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:56 am

12 hours? Wow, I really get conflicting details on this. I don't think I've ever gotten through a zelda in 12 hours my first time through the game. Maybe a speed run where you already know where everything is. Like I said, I'm pretty much in the beginning, and I'm 5 hours in.

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:48 am

EOJ wrote:How long did it take you, Zebra?
It's been so long, I'm not sure. I'd check the save file for you, but I sold it after I finished.
Sorry!

I deifnitely recommend the Gamecube version. Some of the wiimote controls are beyond irritating.
Last edited by ZebraAirforce on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:06 am

So back on topic, I played some more SMG tonight, got through the Egg galaxy and started on the Honey Bee Kingdom galaxy, which is so cool I can't even begin to describe it.

I love the variation in gameplay seen thus far. The whole game screams creativity. Graphics are great, and it plays at a rock solid 60fps as well.
Also of note is the music, which is way better than I ever expected for a Mario game.

At first the game feels a bit disorienting as when you move around a planet the camera follows behind, and sometimes you end up looking at Mario from above. But once you get used to it, it feels very intuitive.

I also like how the Wiimote is used in only very practical ways, like pointing to a particular blue star to get "beamed up" by it. It doesn't feel like a tacked on gimmick, or a hindrance to the gameplay (as it sometimes did in TP).

So far this is the best console game I've played all year. Maybe in the past couple years.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:39 am

Now there needs to be like 4-5 more games about this good on the Wii to make me considering buying one. Thus far, they've all looked incredibly lame.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:34 pm

Capcom's Takara-jima Z is supposed to be really good too. It has cel-shaded graphics and is a 3D platformer/puzzler. I'm going to pick that up soon.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:51 am

There's a pretty good video review of the game up on gametrailers.com:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27584.html

In case people want to see what it looks like in motion. The video shows lots of different levels, and all the different types of gameplay in the game.

This is definitely GOTY for me. :)

drunkenmappy
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby drunkenmappy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:39 pm

I picked up a wii the other day pretty much for this (and the cool stuff that will hopefully come down the pipeline as the current library doesn't excite me much). Played SMG for about an hour last night. I too found the gameplay disorientating at first, but I got used to it, am looking forward to playing more tonight.

I'm interested in Takarajima Z as well - an adventure game in the vein of the old lucas arts/sierra titles on a modern console, right up my alley.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:06 am

My Tsutaya had a video of this running. It indeed looks quite fun (what Mario games should be... and unfortunately aren't always). I will likely pick one up. I pay way more for singple PCBs that have no dream of playing "other" games, so even the cost of a Wii for a couple isn't to obad. Question though: how does one go about playing GC games on the Wii... controller wise. Will my Wavebird work?

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:06 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:My Tsutaya had a video of this running. It indeed looks quite fun (what Mario games should be... and unfortunately aren't always). I will likely pick one up. I pay way more for singple PCBs that have no dream of playing "other" games, so even the cost of a Wii for a couple isn't to obad. Question though: how does one go about playing GC games on the Wii... controller wise. Will my Wavebird work?
It ought too -- you plug one end into the Gamecube controller port, correct? The Wii has gamecube ports under a hidden panel down the side (plus a couple of memory card slots.) I'm not 100% sure though, so you should deifinitely verify with someone else or ask at your local store.

StormShadow
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby StormShadow » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:51 am

Hello everyone! Gaijin Punch, your Wavebird will work since the Wii has GC ports...the wireless receiver should have no problem fitting into it either. Wavebird controllers are still selling like hotcakes on eBay, probably because it eliminates wire clutter, and they are first-party accessories. The Wii classic controller ($20) is another option, but it can't be used unless it it plugged into the bottom of the Wii Remote. So it just ends up wasting your Wii Remote's batteries. I think investing in some WaveBird controllers + good brand rechargeable batteries would be the better choice, as it allows a little bit more freedom.

On topic though...I was torn between Super Mario Galaxy & RE:Umbrella Chronicles when I went to the game shop the other day. I ended up getting SMG after reading about 3 very favorable reviews on it. I don't regret my decision as it truly is a fantastic looking/playing game! I just had to stop myself from looking at the game sideways at first =)

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:08 pm

From first-person experience, Wavebird indeed works quite well on the Wii, as do the standard wired GC controllers. And should you for whatever reason spring for Bomberman '93 on the Virtual Console, know that it allows you to use whatever mix of Gamecube controllers and Wiimotes you may have lying around. Thus, for someone like me who had far more GC controllers than Wiimotes, I could still get a rousing five-person game going.
So, uh, if you find yourself wondering about that issue, there you are.

And I didn't realize the Classic Controller could be used for Gamecube games as well--I thought it was just for compatable Wii titles and VC games.

An interesting thing about playing Gamecube games on the Wii is that it apparently doesn't have some of the software lockouts that the latest GC revision has. That is to say, while my Gamecube refuses to boot my Freeloader disc, the Wii loaded it with no problems and even successfully let my run my Shikigami no Shiro 2 import.

mog123
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mog123 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:49 pm

If it's about SMG
Here's something:
http://images.nintendolife.com/articles ... /large.jpg

Check and see what letters have those little sparkles on them. Now read the letters ;P
Check out my GBA game in development : 窶戲窶「ツィナ津ェ

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:37 pm

Cool fanservice ;)

Return to “Japanese Video Games”