The ahem.... Must Have PSP titles

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

The ahem.... Must Have PSP titles

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:44 pm

Yeah, I know, I bash handhelds, and rightfully so. But, I needed a portable video player, so I wound up getting a modded PSP. Might as well get some games.

Thus far, what I know:

Lumines II
Every Extend Extra

I loaded some PS1 games. Tried a few rounds of Umihara Kawase Shun... wasn't the easiest w/ the controls, but it's been a while. Perhaps it wasn't so good w/ the PS1 controller either. I might have to get an RPG... I don't see myself doing well in any puzzle games.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:05 pm

The only game that interests me on the PSP is Gokumakaimura. Thing is, its a really, really big draw for me because I'm so obsessed with the series, however I'm yet to obtain a PSP.

Looking back, I'm astounded I didn't get a PSP and the game the day it was released. The mere fact a new Makaimura game made with much of the origin team exists, and that I havnt played it, makes me wanna punch myself.

Then again, the fact it was PSP exclusive really, really pissed me off.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

icycalm
#1 video game and art theorist in his world
#1 video game and art theorist in his world

Postby icycalm » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:58 pm

Guys: get R-Type Tactics, turn off 3D combat animations, never look back. It is completely AMAZING. I won't say anymore because I'll have a full review up soon. One of the best games I've played this year.

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:30 pm

Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 are excellent strategy RPGs (but 2 is more excellenter. Highly Recommended!)

Gunpey is a nice, if not sometimes frustrating, puzzler. It's certainly meets the level of "pretty" I've come to expect from Q.

Chi no Rondo remake for psp is pretty radical.

I loaded some PS1 games. Tried a few rounds of Umihara Kawase Shun... wasn't the easiest w/ the controls, but it's been a while. Perhaps it wasn't so good w/ the PS1 controller either. I might have to get an RPG... I don't see myself doing well in any puzzle games
Awesome! I've been looking for that one (Umihara Kawase) for a while. Have you seen the image that comes up if you get a really amazing time on the game?
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:20 am

Sure haven't... I'm no where close to getting an amazing time. :)
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:43 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Sure haven't... I'm no where close to getting an amazing time. :)
Here it is. You might want to skip to end, if you don't want to see some of his stage strategies. He gets a great time and recieves a very... NSFW picture.
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:08 am

Thanks. I have high res videos of *almost* all of them. They are actually developer replays, that came on discs in issues of Tech Playstation. geelw apparently has them all, and is sending me a card full of them. I will probably rip them at 1000kb/s or something.

EDIT: That picture is way fake. The resolution is far too high.

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:06 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Thanks. I have high res videos of *almost* all of them. They are actually developer replays, that came on discs in issues of Tech Playstation. geelw apparently has them all, and is sending me a card full of them. I will probably rip them at 1000kb/s or something.

EDIT: That picture is way fake. The resolution is far too high.
lol, you're probably right. It was a pretty funny ending, though ;)
I heard that the artist made some ecchi pictures, maybe someone found one and put it in as a joke :P

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:55 am

I don't have a PSP, but the Gradius and Salamander collections are a few of the games that would convince me to get one. Also, the new Castlevania collection containing Dracula X and Symphony of the Night.

I did spend some time with Lumines on a friend's PSP however, and wasn't too thrilled--personally, I'm more a fan of Meteos.

Also, was that Jeanne D' Arc game any good? It looked promising but I haven't seen much on it since.

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:13 am

Greatsaintlouis wrote:I don't have a PSP, but the Gradius and Salamander collections are a few of the games that would convince me to get one. Also, the new Castlevania collection containing Dracula X and Symphony of the Night.

I did spend some time with Lumines on a friend's PSP however, and wasn't too thrilled--personally, I'm more a fan of Meteos.

Also, was that Jeanne D' Arc game any good? It looked promising but I haven't seen much on it since.
I like it. It's on the simple side, and supports a more aggressive playstyle.

I put a rom of Chippoke Ralph no Daibouken on my psp... Awesome!

I also tried out Umihara Kawase, and yeah it seems a little hard to control. Then again, I am really terrible at it, so my comment should be taken with a grain of salt.

PCEngine_Hunter
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby PCEngine_Hunter » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:14 pm

Seeing as you have a modded PSP, make sure the first thing you do whenever you buy a game is rip it to ISO format and then compress it. I suppose it isn't quite as bad with the slim but there is no way in hell I ever play PSP games off the UMD because everything about it sucks. Battery life, loading... everything.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:44 pm

I'm playing them off of the Memory Stick. I use some converter tool I got from the person that modded it.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:08 am

I jumped on the PSP slim bandwagon and ordered a white JP model with the following games: Brave Story, Jeanne D'Arc, Every Extend Extra, and Wild Arms Crossfire. Here's hoping at least a couple of them are fun.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:47 am

I have EEE, but I've not played it yet... I bought both Kururin GBA games and played the shit out of them. Way, way better in emulation since you have to be very prices, but nonetheless, addictively fun! They will get their own thread soon.

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:04 am

Every Extend Extra is my favorite title on the system, but then again I value style more than most. If you can see Rez as something more than just rail-shooter, you'll be a fan of EEE.

Loco Roco is absolutely charming. If you love SFC platformers, this should be right up your alley.

Gokumakaimura Kai. Great title & no backtracking in the new 'arcade' mode, bonus!

Western efforts: WipEout Pulse. Not sure if this is out yet, but the first game was a return to glory for the series, and this should be more of the same (not a bad thing at all!).

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:33 am

PSP must haves :

Some games will be better if you are going to play things in 333 mode.

To be honest, most of the games i've ended up enjoying have been complete surprises. Games i'd basically expected to outright not be suited to the PSP. Anyways , here we go :

Must haves :
Crush - absolutely fantastic puzzle game based around switching perspective. Utterly fanastic and one of the games of this year.
Exit - again, a puzzler with platform elements. Good fun and quite slick.
EEE - very addictive suicide-em-up.
Lumines - another addictive block puzzler
Wipeout Pulse - Pure was great but Pulse turns it up a notch.
Puzzle Quest - this game sucked a good 40 hours out of me, despite some cheating AI. It's a blend of Bejewelled and an RPG. Awesome.
Disgaea - i didn't play the first one on PS2, so this has been a revelation on the PSP. Great port.
Monster Hunter 2 - slay em and wear em!
Tekken 5 - great conversion, and almost fully playable with a pad mod.

Very goods :
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions has some issues, but a decent remake and a must if you missed it the first time round (but i assume you didn't)
Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground - create a dungeon and tempt creatures in to live... and fight.
Outrun Coast2Coast - great on the go outrun fun.
Syphon Filter : Logans Shadow - very good western shooting action
Medal of Honor : very good FPS on the handheld with good vs. play.
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure obviously only if you missed it on PC, but a good action adventure with some great characters/music.
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X enjoybale platform action
Mega Man Powered Up cutsey remake, good fun.

If you are going to be playing homebrew
Cave Story : I am sure that everyone knows what Cavestory is, and the PSP homebrew conversion is as good as ever.
SCUMM : Play all those Lucasarts classics all over again.
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:57 am

I saw Disgea, right? 3D? No thanks. From the pics on the back, it looked like a slap in the face to the first two on the PS2 (which I didn't play, but have seen enough screens to be impressed by).

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:52 pm

um, the graphics are pretty much identical other than wide screen support.

Read around, it's a great port.
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:04 am

dcharlie wrote:um, the graphics are pretty much identical other than wide screen support.

Read around, it's a great port.

Am I missing something? I was under the impression both Disgea games were 2D and only 2D, while the PSP one was polygons galore.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:29 am

Am I missing something? I was under the impression both Disgea games were 2D and only 2D, while the PSP one was polygons galore.

the board was 3d (i think!) with overlayed sprites.

PSP has the same set up. Definitely sprites for the characters, not polys.
Beautiful Burnout

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:00 am

dcharlie wrote:

the board was 3d (i think!) with overlayed sprites.

PSP has the same set up. Definitely sprites for the characters, not polys.
Yes, the backgrounds for every NIS game are 3d so the battlefield can be rotated. The characters, on the other hand, are always 2 dimensional. It looks pretty good, in the end. Not as good as something like Fire Emblem, of course <3

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:18 am

My bad. Thought they were more like the Nippon Ichi games.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:47 am

But... Disgaea is a Nippon Ichi game. :conf:

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:25 am

I thought NIS stood for Niipon Ichi Software? Sorry if I mixed you up :)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:47 am

citcelaid wrote:But... Disgaea is a Nippon Ichi game. :conf:

Damn... so they went 3D, eh? Bummer.
Didn't they do a Brave ______ on the PSP as well? That might've what I saw that looked somewhat ass. Again, I gave it a quick glance and nothing more. I never got too far into Brave Story. Hated getting my ass kicked.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”