Arcade Sticks

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

NeoX
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Arcade Sticks

Postby NeoX » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:28 pm

OK, this is a topic for arcade sticks. I find there are a ton and only some are great. Post ones you like, don't like etc. Tell us about the difference between US and Japanese sticks if you know any. Here are a few sticks I am deciding between. http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=22&products_id=4099& http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=22&products_id=2871& I like Hori more then Sammy but I hear that Sammy's is better for 2D fighters. I prefer 2D so I may go with that but I really like the Hori sticks... What do you think? Which has a better arcade feel? PS If anyone is selling a stick let me know =D

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:36 pm

anything from ASCII is usually top notch.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:47 am

Yeah, ASCII stuff is good. The only fighting game I played at home was Virtua Fighter, so the Virtua Stick is the only one for me. I assume the ASCII stick on the DC would be a close second, since it's damn near the same thing.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:53 am

Double-posted. Sorry.
Last edited by Recap on Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:54 am

As an arcade sticks lover, I created a similar thread in other board with all my experiences. May be worth to check: http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/showthread.php?t=23267

NeoX
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby NeoX » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:32 am

Cool, I will go and read it all. I may have some question =D

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:17 am

Didn't Sammy buy out ASCII? So Sammy sticks are actually ASCII ones.

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:46 am

No, ASCII produces sticks/pads for sammy, capcom, and SNK/playmore. As far as I know they havent been bought out.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:05 am

CaptainAmazing wrote:No, ASCII produces sticks/pads for sammy, capcom, and SNK/playmore. As far as I know they havent been bought out.
Not really. Ascii's peripherals division was sold to Sammy. It also did belong to the CRI group, which Sega was part of. So the Sammy sticks are virtually the same as all the Ascii ones. Ascii never produced a controller for SNK or Capcom, they just paid these companies to make use of their logos in the controllers.

NeoX
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby NeoX » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:34 pm

cool, was even someone with that hori stick in that forum =D So far I have only heard good things about it. I think I will get it. What's your favorite stick?

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:16 pm

Thanks for the info Recap, I always thought that ASCII was the manufacturer for the other companies sticks/pads. My favorite stick of all time has got to be the Sega Virtua stick for saturn and Neo Geo AES.

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:09 pm

The official Dreamcast stick is a fine piece of kit. As is the white Saturn Virtua Stick. Mmm, we like Sega sticks. Both of these fine bits of kit have aided me well in saving the universe in ma funky 2d spaceship.... After a stick for the PCE DuoRX. Anyone know if this is a good one, please? http://www.videogameimports.com/images/pictures/PCETURBOSTICK.jpg
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.'' Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:58 pm

Hey good looking out with the PCE stick, I never even knew one existed.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:35 pm

Sega's Virtua Stick (new model) was really poor, despite its powerful look. The official DC stick is a little better, since they added a more solid base and a more precise stick (though not enough precise for 2D fighting). The best, more accurate, joystick for the home market is Sega Saturn's Virtua Stick Pro. It's still not a professional one (buttons could have been better), but it's a good replica of Sega's Astro City control panel which works great with every arcade type genre. I've been using it for years and only had a problem with a button. It has no space to support your hands and it's HARD to find, thoe.

NeoX
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby NeoX » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:38 pm

Anyone know some of the differences between Japanese sticks and US ones? So far I heard.. Japanese have -Shorter sticks (No subliminal joke here guys =P) -More responsive buttons, aka, the buttons take less to push in to make them work -Smaller circle you can spin, makes doing motions faste PS Here's a GGXX stick http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/ps2-ggxx-joystick1.jpg

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:23 am

NeoX wrote: Here's a GGXX stick http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/ps2-ggxx-joystick1.jpg
The button layout of that wonder is hilarious. What a waste.

NeoX
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby NeoX » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:07 am

It is only made for GGXX. I hear it works real great though. Useless unless you want it for that game. =)

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:27 am

m0nk3yb0y wrote: After a stick for the PCE DuoRX. Anyone know if this is a good one, please? http://www.videogameimports.com/images/pictures/PCETURBOSTICK.jpg
Hori made its Fighting Stick series for Saturn, PSX and PC Engine among others. I have for Saturn and PC Engine and they are fine for what they are intended. I even use Hori Saturn stick for DC using TC3. Besides $9 per pop can't complain really... for some reason PSX version isn't that cheap even in Japan... I got both of YJ by the way or roughly $9 each... cheers
Last edited by dj898 on Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image My VGA Store http://www.videogameauctions.co.uk/shops/dj898

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:56 am

Which Virtua Stick did you think was weak? There's basically a Virtua Fighter and a VF: Evolution model (although I think they're all the same). I can say after hundreds of ours of VF at the arcade, the the Virtua Stick was about as close to the real thing as you could get (they sold out immediately as well). It was a fantastic replica of Blast City... the only thing that would've been better was a weighted base, but I doubt that's going to happen. I never tried the DC arcade stick, as I really didn't have any DC fighting games.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:43 am

I haven't played a fighting game using a stick in many years. I generally limit my fighting games to the Saturn and normal control pads are more than good enough for me. :D

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:48 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Which Virtua Stick did you think was weak? There's basically a Virtua Fighter and a VF: Evolution model (although I think they're all the same). I can say after hundreds of ours of VF at the arcade, the the Virtua Stick was about as close to the real thing as you could get (they sold out immediately as well). It was a fantastic replica of Blast City... the only thing that would've been better was a weighted base, but I doubt that's going to happen.
This one. Even if it has a professional look, parts are really poor here. And yep, the base needs more weight and solidity. The truth is there's not a Japanese home joystick with actual professional parts, not even the Virtua Stick Pro.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:26 pm

Blech -- that looks kinda ugly. :) I was referring to the PS2 controller.

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:08 am

I have ASCII stick as well as Hori fighting stick for PC Engine. Are these any good? I'm going thru my collection to see which ones to get rid of... cheers
My VGA Store
http://www.videogameauctions.co.uk/shops/dj898

NeoX
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby NeoX » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:05 pm

I would like any stick that can play well on PS2 =)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:31 pm

NeoX. It depends on what you're playing. The Virtua Stick by Sega is great for most Japanese gamers, b/c it's shaped like a Blast City -- what damn near every game that uses a stick is put in these days. There's something to be said about conformity.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”