Little Big Planet

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Little Big Planet

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:41 am

I got this, and am enjoying it. What surprises me is that the soft-only version I believe retails for 6000 yen, making it run about 5300 yen in shops + 10% points. The version w/ the Dual Shock is only 8000 yen. I got mine for 7180. Very pleased w/ it.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

JAPJAC
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby JAPJAC » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:18 pm

Sounds anal, but we were shocked that the frame rate from TGS `08 was as bad as TGS`07. We couldn`t believe a game so simple looking wasn`t running at 60fps in 2008, on a PS3. It ran like shite and I blame that on it being made in England. Furthermore it looked about as fun as jumping around a level in a Smash Brothers but without the combat or/and an actual aim. To be fair, most that played it had smiles on their faces, but they were mainly from females who enjoy the Wii also I suspect. Don`t believe the hype?

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:39 am

Sounds anal, but we were shocked that the frame rate from TGS `08 was as bad as TGS`07. We couldn`t believe a game so simple looking wasn`t running at 60fps in 2008, on a PS3. It ran like shite and I blame that on it being made in England. Furthermore it looked about as fun as jumping around a level in a Smash Brothers but without the combat or/and an actual aim. To be fair, most that played it had smiles on their faces, but they were mainly from females who enjoy the Wii also I suspect. Don`t believe the hype?

I dunno, what is simple looking about little big planet?
All i can guess is that you saw this from a distance and didn't look at it close up because the quality of the texturing and lighting is pretty awesome. Plus, real time physics don't come for free. I guess it might have been the opening world too which is pretty simple, but beyond world 1 it's pretty much one of the most complex looking games out there.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJGGXOyB68

there are minor glitches in the video - that's video glitches NOT in game pauses.

Didn't play it at TGS as i was accepted for the Beta. The Beta ran butter smooth for the one ingame world , the final game runs smooth WITH THE EXCEPTION of some of the crazy user levels (Sackboy Begins KILLS the system).

Game runs at 720p at 30fps locked for the single player and local coop campaign and for 95% of the custom levels plays perfectly (finally) over internet play.

I would add though - if you play this through 480i on your set up , it's going to look like absolute gash. As with most games now, it's made for HD and 480i will remove any impact of the texturing etc. So it really will reduce it to looking not much better than the average PS2 game.

I blame that on it being made in England

haha.
Can you expand exactly what you mean by that?
If you are implying that it ran like crap because it's made in England , then i'd check recent Japanese games - the need for games to be 60fps for the japanese died soooome time ago. If you are implying that the UK doesn't have the talent etc to produce anything good, then that's a whole different kettle of fish.
This is all somewhat moot given the final game doesn't run like crap and, to me, looks fantastic (detailed textures, excellent physics model, excellent particle effects, dynamic lighting in place, good animation/facial animation system etc) so i'm not surprised it doesn't hit 60fps as that stuff is far from simple.

EDIT: Wait - hold on. I -did- play it at TGS07 though and it was solid : Frame rate was locked in, no issues at all. What level did you play? What happened? What slowdown/issues were there? A locked 30fps is hardly "running like shite" and , again, if it is - it invalidates your argument about being English made somehow explains it given that the Japanese seem to be struggling to hit a constant 30fps, let alone 60fps wiht most next gen efforts.

You should go check Wipeout HD. 60fps. Locked. 1080p. Then find me a single game this gen from Japan that comes even remotely close to it in terms of looks. Made in England too. Incredible isn't it?
Ridge is the closest, but in terms of detail, Wipeout absolutely rapes it.

Re: the game - i was disappointed with the beta (it relied on the user created content) , but the final game is killer. Especially online, it's just out and out fun. And with the ability to create and share levels with other people, it opens up a whole slew of things. Fantastic game, polished, interesting, different. All good points and finally a real killer PS3 title. Praise appears to be universal for this, totally lived up to the hype.

Regarding the level designer : For instance JJ, i'm working on doing Manic Miner in the engine. Got most of the first level in pretty quickly on the beta, but need to start over in the final version as i tried to make it a bit too much like the original, it needs to be redone with LBP jump mechanics in mind. There is everything in the construction kit to create a decent stab at most platformers.

re: potential purchasers - sofmap have this at 5160 yen and 6800 yen for the stand alone and the DS3 pack respectively.

toooo many games, Motorstorm 2, LBP, Fallout 3, SR2, Dead Space, Star Wars unleashed, etc....
Last edited by dcharlie on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beautiful Burnout

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:20 am

Wow, redefining excitement. Monkey Magic Part 2. Killer app, indeed.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:13 am

I'm at quite a transitional point in my life (the real one, not the gaming one) so for me, simple will rule. To be honest, my "game time" this past week was about 2 hours, then another 2 to play LBP yesterday as I waiedt for it to get late enough to go out.

I don't know if my tastes are changing, but it's nice to put something in and not have to memorize a pattern, restart when I fuck up, tilt the monitor, etc. etc. I'm enjoying it.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:21 am

Wow, redefining excitement. Monkey Magic Part 2. Killer app, indeed.

it is the PS3's killer app in my opinion - it's the first true platform defining experience.

You don't like it? Good for you. Now what?

I don't know if my tastes are changing, but it's nice to put something in and not have to memorize a pattern, restart when I fuck up, tilt the monitor, etc. etc. I'm enjoying it.

i -think- yourself and I are around the same age, and i think that's basically happening with most people who have a job/responsibilities etc.
Seems to be happening across the board with everyone i know : Dead Space is a 12-14 hour long game on the first run through, but it's taking me over a week to get to the end.

And yeah, LBP is fun - single player is good, multiplayer is a riot. Seems to be universally liked, with -at current count- two people not liking it.
*shrug*
Beautiful Burnout

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:10 am

Does this have some special rumble support? I've been looking for an excuse to get a white ps3 dual shock? Not to mention I've heard nothing but awesome stuff about the game.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:18 am

Yes -- it supports rumble... I don't know about special. My guess is that's why they have the DS3 package so cheap.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:17 pm

I'm at quite a transitional point in my life (the real one, not the gaming one) so for me, simple will rule. To be honest, my "game time" this past week was about 2 hours, then another 2 to play LBP yesterday as I waiedt for it to get late enough to go out.

Try Monkey Magic Part I. You can check Barbie: Secret Agent on your DS later.

Seems to be universally liked, with -at current count- two people not liking it.
*shrug*

You made it again. Got me laughing out loudly for a moment before your deeply thought arguments. I think there're two people --current count-- not liking Nintendogs after buying the game, too. Laughs.

Read: Little Big Planet will be remembered with the time like any other of the billions of 2D action games which have been made in the West -- crap material. Real time physics with uberexcellent particle effects and dynamic lighting in place [laughs] crap.

Anyway, I didn't come to discuss with you what makes an action game a good one and what doesn't. I simply was laughing at your tastes, as usual. Keep sticking to your killer paps and letting us know, fella.

Technosphile
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Technosphile » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:47 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I don't know if my tastes are changing, but it's nice to put something in and not have to memorize a pattern, restart when I fuck up, tilt the monitor, etc. etc.

Yeah, shooters suck.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:14 am

Recap wrote:Try Monkey Magic Part I. You can check Barbie: Secret Agent on your DS later.

I already have 2 copies of Barbie. One sealed, to retain value.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:31 am

Time to hit up some more custom level making.

This game is brilliant, it's getting better and better. Definitely a game of the year candidate in my book, maybe one of the best games ever made? In amongst all the console war politics it's rare to see a game so universally praised.

And rightly so, it's incredible to see everyone in the modern gaming community enjoying a great game across the broad spectrum of gamers. Lots of Japanese designed levels already too, it's like a big old global party every time i switch it on.
Beautiful Burnout

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:28 am

Is the part where Recap comes out of the woodwork with no provocation to flail around with petty insults and generally act like a rude dick before fading away for a few more months?

I always love this time of year.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:26 am

Me too, man! I especially love the part where the uninvited IDIOTS unable to form a mental picture of the actual scenario start issuing. Funny that they're usually the same, isn't it!

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:39 am

how far are you in GP?

The music is awesome too - some great moments, but not too sure about having to unlock every item.

tried the level builder yet?
Beautiful Burnout

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:50 pm

Go, Charlie, go!

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:55 pm

thanks Recap for the support!

have you played it yet? it's a must !
Beautiful Burnout

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:57 pm

Anytime!

Keep control of your internet time though!

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:58 pm

i have given up on internet time, too many games to play/too much work to do. :/
Beautiful Burnout

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:02 pm

Ah, fine. I was a bit concerned given your posting habits here for the last couple of days.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:14 pm

Ah, fine. I was a bit concerned given your posting habits here for the last couple of days.

5 posts in a few days is excessive?
I leave it till late at night during work checks..... so it's all dead time.

well, most of the time...
Beautiful Burnout

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:27 pm

dcharlie wrote:5 posts in a few days is excessive?

Oh... no, no. Of course the amount is not relevant at all. It's the MOMENTUM what I find quite revealing. ; )

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:39 pm

dcharlie wrote:how far are you in GP?

I just got to the wafuu style stage, which I really dig. They did a good job w/ it.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:42 pm

I am at a complete loss for words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg0ZBHdz7wM

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:01 pm

It's the MOMENTUM what I find quite revealing

i'm not sure what you are trying to say or what is supposed to be revealed. Anyways, back to the topic i guess.

re: Gradius level (+ others i guess)

the only problem so far is that the enemy generation system is a bit fiddly, would have been nicer if there was a better standard enemy generator.

The Gradius level looks great and everything but obviously as a true game its not going to work in any meaningful form- but it's great seeing what people can come up with within the confines of a platform engine. The Dig Dug level is pretty cool just as a bit of fun, the tetris style puzzle game is also pretty clever.
Beautiful Burnout

Return to “Japanese Video Games”