Toaplan

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:19 am

I got to the last stage w/ 3 remains and full fire power. 10 seconds in a pea-shooter hit me. I need to start a Fuck Hyper Duel thread.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

DC906270-BIL
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby DC906270-BIL » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:14 am

I got to the last stage w/ 3 remains and full fire power. 10 seconds in a pea-shooter hit me. I need to start a Fuck Hyper Duel thread.

har-har :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:09 am

Aight, kicked his ass. I'm not as worked up any more. Still a cock sucker though.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Are you playing it on Saturn or Mame?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:21 am

citcelaid wrote:Are you playing it on Saturn or Mame?

Arcade mode on the Saturn. I will play Saturn Mode now. Other than the bomber-shot hold feature, and the rotation of the cannon being WAY more sensitive it's not that much different. Just a few small changes.

Any comments on how well it plays compared to Mame?

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Its pretty much the same. Too bad the PCB is like finding a needle in a haystack.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:40 pm

I just received my OutZone board a couple of days ago. This was the first time I played this and it's absolutely amazing! It already ranks up high on my "best Toaplan" list. Definitely one of Toaplans finest along with Dogyuun and Batsugun.

It's also much easier to beat I think. After only a couple of hours I already got past the fifth stage. The 6th stage, however, is a pain in the ass. All those little soldiers that come out of their garage doors behind your back and start shooting immediately, oh dear. The 6th boss is also a bitch, you just can't avoid its second attack from if you don't have the speed up. A bomb won't stop it and the homing-style extension arm is too fast to get away from. Dumb...

Seems like I have to fight it either with lots of bombs, equipped with that retarded super ball (wtf) like Ruldra did in his youtube vid, or with a speed up.

But still, really great game that captivated me like no other arcade-only Toaplan shooter so far. Vimana and Dogyuun are nice, but not that entertaining and diversified. :)

Oh, and I gave Tatsujin Oh a shot the other day. That was when I discovered BUTTON 4! I totally didn't know about it before I accidentally pushed it. It scrolls the entire game fast-forward with all its enemies being pushed in the same screen. This way you can pull the asteroids from the beginning of 1-1 into the middle of the oncoming space station and so on. Freaky stuff, useless, really, but entertaining. I never encountered such a feature in a shooting game before.

And I never encountered such a frustrating and boring shooter either :P
I really love the Tatsujin franchise for its soundtrack and space setting. But Tatsujin Oh is just frustrating... I never get further than to the middle of stage 2 and it's already becoming really tough and fast paced.
I don't know if that was necessary, that game is really no fun and the stages are way too long. They are mostly just randomly equipped with enemies, there's no recognizable pattern like in Dogyuun or Tatsujin 1. If the music and graphics just weren't so awesome >_<

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:10 pm

ave wrote:I just received my OutZone board a couple of days ago. This was the first time I played this and it's absolutely amazing! It already ranks up high on my "best Toaplan" list. Definitely one of Toaplans finest along with Dogyuun and Batsugun.

It's also much easier to beat I think. After only a couple of hours I already got past the fifth stage. The 6th stage, however, is a pain in the ass. All those little soldiers that come out of their garage doors behind your back and start shooting immediately, oh dear. The 6th boss is also a bitch, you just can't avoid its second attack from if you don't have the speed up. A bomb won't stop it and the homing-style extension arm is too fast to get away from. Dumb...

Seems like I have to fight it either with lots of bombs, equipped with that retarded super ball (wtf) like Ruldra did in his youtube vid, or with a speed up.

But still, really great game that captivated me like no other arcade-only Toaplan shooter so far. Vimana and Dogyuun are nice, but not that entertaining and diversified. :)

It really is cool, isn't it? I just need to spend more time w/ my PCB :)
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:16 pm

Is anyone familiar with the easter eggs that are hidden in OutZone?

I know there is a total of four.

1) Pipiru hides himself in a cave in stage 1. He comes out if you shoot at the cave. Several 5k bonuses if he survives until the end of the stage.

2) An inverted V-formation of Hishouzame ships appear after the trees in stage 2 to support the player by shooting enemies. Sometimes the trick works, sometimes not. Any idea what I have to pay attention to in order to get them every time?

3) Zero Wing's ship comes flying from the left to the right pretty fast. Its way turns into 5k bonuses so one has to make sure to shoot it when it's almost out of the screen.
In the OutZone play on nicovideo (see bottom of the page) the player gets the Zero Wing ship several times throughout the game and he seems to know exactly how to do it (i.e. sometimes, he waits a couple of seconds before moving on and there it comes!).

Any ideas?

4) The red ship from Tatsujin (3-way shot) can also be triggered, but I never saw it anywhere, let it be the nicovideo replay, screenshots or by myself, incidentally. It's supposedly triggered somewhere during the 4th stage (?), close to a big gate. That's as much info as I could gather on the web and it's quite useless ._. Still, maybe someone knows.

nicovideo run:
part 1
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3490055

part 2
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3490114

part 3
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3490181

Contains Pipiru, Hishouzame and several Zero Wing appearances!

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:59 am

the ship from tatsujin is just the one in the megaball isnt it?

since it spins around so fast its only really visible in screenshots.
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:31 pm

I never noticed it, but you're right that there's a ship inside the power ball. O_o

It's not the one from Tatsujin, though:

I thought Slap Fight at first, but it doesn't quite match. However, the Tatsujin shit is supposed to come up from below like the Hishouzame fighters. It can take several shots and shoots at enemies with the 3-way in a slow pace.

Ruldra
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Ruldra » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:08 am

ave wrote:2) An inverted V-formation of Hishouzame ships appear after the trees in stage 2 to support the player by shooting enemies. Sometimes the trick works, sometimes not. Any idea what I have to pay attention to in order to get them every time?

Back when I was playing OutZone I got the Hishouzame formation every single time. I thought it was related to those tanks right before the trees (destroy 3 of them then move on). But when I played again months later I never could make the planes appear again :( It's a mystery.

I never noticed the ship inside the ball, really cool.

EDIT: By the way, I really wish Tatsujin Oh had similar music to Tatsujin or Outzone. The soundtrack is so bland when compared to other Toaplan games.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:59 pm

Ruldra wrote:Back when I was playing OutZone I got the Hishouzame formation every single time. I thought it was related to those tanks right before the trees (destroy 3 of them then move on). But when I played again months later I never could make the planes appear again :( It's a mystery.

I seem to get them less and less often. At first I used to think you're supposed to start shooting the trees with that one which equals the last number of your score. For instance, if your score is 130,020 right before the trees, I try to shoot tree #2 before the others, counting from the bottom (no tree is placed at the same vertical level as another!).

It doesn't work every time, so the secret must be something else.
>_<

What's there not to love about the Tatsujin Oh OST btw? I think it's one of Toaplan's finest. It sure had changed from Truxton or OutZone but so did the composer. I like it very much, like all the Toaplan soundtracks made by Yuge and Uemura :whack: :)

Ruldra
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Ruldra » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:53 pm

ave wrote:What's there not to love about the Tatsujin Oh OST btw?

It's not bad, but it's nothing special either. The Outzone soundtrack on the other hand really gets you pumped and it gets stuck on your head long after you stopped playing. But to each their own.

Ray Ayanami
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Ray Ayanami » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:38 pm

As someone who's trying to convince friends that shmups don't need to be bullet hell to be balls hard, I find Toaplan to be a very important company, even to this day.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:55 pm

I'm surprised by all the reverence for Toaplan in recent years. It feels like newer shooter players consider them to be like the classic version of Cave. People seem to think all of their games are gold; just a few years back, few thought much about them and people cared a lot more about Psikyo as the "SNK" to Cave's "Capcom."

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Toaplan

Postby Macaw » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:39 pm

How many people knew about this, a top view high speed action racing game by Toaplan in 1993 that was never released called DT7. I only discovered it from a little screenshot in an old magazine with a report from a 1993 arcade show, I was surprised to see the flyer was up on arcadeflyers.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/mytdeco/archive/2011/11/8

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=t ... db&id=3380
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:57 am

Macaw wrote:How many people knew about this, a top view high speed action racing game by Toaplan in 1993 that was never released called DT7. I only discovered it from a little screenshot in an old magazine with a report from a 1993 arcade show, I was surprised to see the flyer was up on arcadeflyers.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/mytdeco/archive/2011/11/8

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=t ... db&id=3380

Try has the PCB and had it on play for awhile but income was poor. GP has the original flyer.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:32 am

I think I have two of them. :)
Did you get a chance to play it? I remember you told me they had it up in their box of tricks in the PCB shop, but didn't know they put it in the arcade.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:23 am

How the heck are flyers of the game all over the place, I guess it got pretty close to release. Cool to know that Try has a pcb of it anyway. Has a pcb of it ever shown up on YAJ?
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:38 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I think I have two of them. :)
Did you get a chance to play it? I remember you told me they had it up in their box of tricks in the PCB shop, but didn't know they put it in the arcade.

Only took a look at the attract screen. If you local guys want to play it, I can request for them to put it in again.

One for Magic Knight, they have a location test version of Mach Go Go Go, the localized version of Speed Racer, which was never released! I took pics of the board but hope to get it dumped someday.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:39 am

Macaw wrote:How the heck are flyers of the game all over the place, I guess it got pretty close to release. Cool to know that Try has a pcb of it anyway. Has a pcb of it ever shown up on YAJ?

Never seen one myself but I haven't actively looked either!
become history

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Shou wrote:
Gaijin Punch wrote:I think I have two of them. :)

Only took a look at the attract screen. If you local guys want to play it, I can request for them to put it in again.

One for Magic Knight, they have a location test version of Mach Go Go Go, the localized version of Speed Racer, which was never released! I took pics of the board but hope to get it dumped someday.

Wow, that's interesting, my Speed Racer is one of the PCBs in for repair with MAK, they'd never seen one. It'll be tricky to dump the ROMs, I think some of them are surface mounted.

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:05 am

Shou wrote:One for Magic Knight, they have a location test version of Mach Go Go Go, the localized version of Speed Racer, which was never released! I took pics of the board but hope to get it dumped someday.

Now that I'm back from today's running around nonsense, I have one or two questions you might be able to answer.

Did you see the board running, and what are the differences? Presumably music, voices and title graphic?
Does Try have a wheel, pedal, harness and manual for it? Because I know someone who has, heh heh heh.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:23 am

Magic Knight wrote:
Shou wrote:One for Magic Knight, they have a location test version of Mach Go Go Go, the localized version of Speed Racer, which was never released! I took pics of the board but hope to get it dumped someday.

Now that I'm back from today's running around nonsense, I have one or two questions you might be able to answer.

Did you see the board running, and what are the differences? Presumably music, voices and title graphic?
Does Try have a wheel, pedal, harness and manual for it? Because I know someone who has, heh heh heh.

Just saw the test menu as they were having an issue with it and send it off for repair. They definitely don't have the controls but requested a harness for it.
become history

Return to “Japanese Video Games”