The Rotary Stick/Loop Lever games...

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:32 pm

Got a high res one of it here... and for some stupid reason the instrucition card (totally different art direction) is the 2nd image for the flyer.

Neve seen art for SAR. Bermuda Triangle flyer popped up recently. Tattered, and 3000 yen, so I passed.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:15 am

Macaw wrote:
Gaijin Punch wrote:Just be warned they have really long shafts

Don't worry I'm already rather experienced from my own.

Also the Battle Field flyer is slick:

I've been trying to find an image of the Japanese flyer for SAR, its gotta be cool.

I have the instruction cards and instructions (color copies) for SAR if you want to see them.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:30 am

For LS-30 games, the list is complete for SNK, Data East and Seta games (Downtown can use either LS-30 or optical, CAL.50 is optical only). Extermination isn't a rotary game, not sure who started this rumor but it's all over the net.

Macaw wrote:Been digging this stuff a lot recently, here's a list of all rotary stick stuff, hopefully mostly complete:

- Ikari Warriors
- Dougo Souken / Victory Road
- Ikari III
- Battle Field / Time Soldiers
- World Wars / Bermuda Triangle
- Bermuda Triangle
- Guevara / Guerrilla War
- SAR Search And Rescue
- Makyou Senshi / Gondomania
- Heavy Barrel
- Midnight Resistance
- Caliber .50
- Lost Worlds / Forgotten Worlds
- Touchdown Fever
- Touchdown Fever 2
- Downtown
- T.A.N.K / T.N.K III
- Exterminator

SAR Search and Rescue is without a doubt the best game in my opinion. The game has atmosphere out the ass, and I am a total sucker for thematic settings involving crazy guts and biological shit taking everything over. The flow of the game is superb, just slowly trudging through the ship getting deeper and deeper is too cool, and there isn't any breaks after bosses or anything, your in control the whole time which makes the journey feel quite relentless and all the more awesome. Also satisfying weapons that make destroying the endless shit fun! ;)

Its also without a doubt the most violent arcade game ever, and enemy death animations aside the backgrounds of the game are a real visual feast, with hundreds of greatly detailed dead body's all over the place eviscerated and mutilated in countless ways. Even after playing the game heaps of times I still just sit there staring at the background details all the time.

Anyway, someone tell me the best rotary stick to get, its fucked I'm still using my ghetto joystick setup. I'll probably only want one for mame, so I wonder if there is any place that sells usb SNK rotary sticks, I couldn't be bothered modding one of my raps unless necessary.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:09 am

Shou wrote:I have the instruction cards and instructions (color copies) for SAR if you want to see them.

Sure, if there's any art worth seeing, but if its mostly text then don't worry about it.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Dave_K.
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Dave_K. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Kaede wrote:Caliber. 50 is a nifty little game, from what I've played of it. Usually for these rotary games in MAME I use my dual shock and set L1 and R1 to 'rotate' the controller. Works OK, but never gonna be as good as the stick.

I bought rolins' green loop-24 stick and this PCB. The game has some crazy ass rank going on with bullets all over the screen like a danmaku. I don't think Seta ever planned on anyone 1CCing this game ever...pure coin eater. In fact, regardless of score, I don't think you even get a chance to enter your initials unless you finish the game (with no penalty for continues).

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:47 am

Welcome, Dave.

Does't this game loop? I remember reading somewhere that it doesn't have a proper ending... maybe I'm missing something.

Does Rolins' old stick play the SNK/Data East rotary games as well. I got his Bermuda Triangle from him. Gotta get around to playing that stinker.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Dave_K.
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Dave_K. » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:54 am

I've never seen a second loop, just end credits and then finally being able to enter your initials for the HS board.

The loop-24 stick is an optical rotary, so not compatible with any of those other SNK/Data East games. Its pretty much made specifically for Cal.50, although I hear it can also work with Touchdown Fever.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Completely wrong there on Caliber .50. The game does get incredibly crowded quickly, indeed one of the main features of the game is just how many enemies can be onscreen at once, but the game is literally only about 10 minutes long give or a take a few depending on how fast you run through it, and it does restart your score if you continue.

You get the flamethrower and do sweeping motions to wipe out heaps of shit, and its usually a good idea to keep moving forward without messing around in an area too long because other dudes start coming from behind and fucking you up, which also helps give the game a quick but extremely hectic feeling as your escaping from the camp. The main difficulty hurdle is the rocket launcher guys that start appearing about halfway through the game, which need to be approached carefully.

I think there was a 1cc clear on nico too. One of the cooler rotary games I think.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Dave_K.
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Dave_K. » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:50 pm

Sorry, I must have confused this with another Seta/Visco game I got around the same time that didn't reset score at the continue (Galmedes). I'll have to dig Cal .50 out and give it another play though, as I do remember being pissed how it completely encourages you to use continues, maybe it was just the HS board then.

I searched nicovideo before and never found any 1CC replays, so if you find it let me know!

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:31 pm

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:10 pm

:o holy shit. check out the new MAK stock list.
They are offering a huge set with like 12 pcbs and a rotary stick panel.
Pretty much a full SNK collection in one go for 380,000yen. Not a bad deal really, but way too much for me. :(
Stronger then your average deadite

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:08 am

SuperDeadite wrote::o holy shit. check out the new MAK stock list.
They are offering a huge set with like 12 pcbs and a rotary stick panel.
Pretty much a full SNK collection in one go for 380,000yen. Not a bad deal really, but way too much for me. :(

Very nice set, never seen the JP version of Ikari III and I wonder if that World Wars is the US version....I have every board there except for WW and I don't think I've come close to 380k to get them...
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:39 am

Some classic comments on the Nico video. "Seems escaped prisoners are treated like heros in America". Haha. Hectic video. CHeers for the link.

Rotary Set

Yeah....wondering if they're all JP versions or not. Heavy Barrel showed up once on YJ. I got into a pissing match w/ another user and let it go for somewhere around 15,000. Never saw one since.

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:08 am

Just found out that the Bally Astrocade home system, which came out in the late 70's, had the 8-way + rotary thing going on! Controllers @ ‾6:25 & gameplay @ ‾8:40: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69x4bSQYR10
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:41 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Yeah....wondering if they're all JP versions or not. Heavy Barrel showed up once on YJ. I got into a pissing match w/ another user and let it go for somewhere around 15,000. Never saw one since.

Went by Mak and saw that they are indeed all Japanese versions and comes with an Ikari 2 panel.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:20 am

Very nice... just pricey.
You going to buy one? I've got a US Bermuda Triangle here. I should try it out...even though it's lame.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:50 am

Nope, I only need World Wars and JP Ikari 3 (have the US one)...that set is way too expensive!

World Wars is the lamest one so I don't think I'm missing out!
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:20 am

Shou wrote:World Wars is the lamest one so I don't think I'm missing out!

Worse than Ikari 3 and Mokugeki?

emphatic
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby emphatic » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Macaw wrote:link to Caliber 50 replay

Wow, never seen a "SPECIAL NO THANKS" in the credit roll before.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: The Rotary Stick/Loop Lever games...

Postby Macaw » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:27 am

Whats the deal with Ikari 3? Mame doesn't emulate any Japanese version of it yet, so does anyone know if both the loop lever and standard joystick versions of the game were released in Japan too?

Also how the fuck are you supposed to play the game!? I cant find any tactics to reliably get anywhere on 1 credit, maybe the balance is different in the Japanese version? I wouldn't expect it to be though as SNK usually don't make changes like that between the regions.

I still cant even figure out if I like it or not, on one hand the first stage is pretty damn cool with its 2 massive bosses, and the combat can be fun in a way... especially when you have the hilariously massive guns which look awesome. The second stage however is about 10 minutes of trudging through an unbelievably bland warehouse... I haven't seen what the other stages are like though, but I still maintain an interest in the game, at least if I can find any kind of decent tactics that would make a 1cc even remotely possible.

I do know that the flyer looks totally awesome though!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:30 am

Macaw wrote:Whats the deal with Ikari 3? Mame doesn't emulate any Japanese version of it yet, so does anyone know if both the loop lever and standard joystick versions of the game were released in Japan too?

Yes, it was released, but it bombed with big capital letters. It's simply not been dumped, and is crazy rare. Shou might have it though.

Also how the fuck are you supposed to play the game!? I cant find any tactics to reliably get anywhere on 1 credit, maybe the balance is different in the Japanese version? I wouldn't expect it to be though as SNK usually don't make changes like that between the regions.

It's one of those painfully difficult games. Same w/ Mokugeki which is a huge hunk of shit. They are both awful.

The flyer is cool though, I will give you that!

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:32 am

I just credit fed up to stage 4 and fuck me dead is the game a piece of shit. Stages 2 and 3 are both absurdly boring endless melee combat which sucks, and while stage 1 starts fancy with the 2 boss battles the same fuckn tank boss is used in both stages 2 and 3, with absolutely nothing new added at all.

Mokugeki is shitloads better than this shit, the characters and graphics at least are cool and remain interesting throughout which is the total opposite of Ikari 3

The awesome fat dude alone makes it better

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:26 am

I credit-fed through Mokugeki to get the Staff Roll, for that project that has lost steam. It was a painful 30 minutes.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:50 am

Regarding Ikari III JP, a collector friend dumped it recently and I submitted it to MAME. Now, SNK can include it in their PSP collections instead of just the US version. LOL The regular stick hack is a pirate I believe.

It's very much considered a dud in Japan but for some reason, it's super hard to find these days, kind of like Datsugoku (P.O.W.). In fact, I'd say Ikari III is like a vertical scrolling rotary version of that game. I used to play Ikari III a bunch at my local Six Flags when I was a kid.....
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:01 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I credit-fed through Mokugeki to get the Staff Roll, for that project that has lost steam. It was a painful 30 minutes.

Yeah, it isn't long before the boredom becomes pretty damn unbearable hahhaa.

Shou wrote:In fact, I'd say Ikari III is like a vertical scrolling rotary version of that game.

On that same note I always found Tough Turf to be like a horizontal version of Mokugeki, the designs of the player character and many of the enemies look the same.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”