[ETC] Nintendo butt rape

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[ETC] Nintendo butt rape

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Hey, let's combine two of the hottest topics around: Video Games and the shit economy.

Source
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:33 pm

That's not due to the general state of the economy though, but mainly because of the stiff competition from Smartphones for the DS, as well the lack of good games for Wii.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:28 am

citcelaid wrote:That's not due to the general state of the economy though, but mainly because of the stiff competition from Smartphones for the DS, as well the lack of good games for Wii.

Part of it is the strong yen, which is directly b/c of the economy.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[ETC] Nintendo still losing money...

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:44 am

I don't see how they're going to turn their fortunes around in fiscal 2011 and support 2 new platforms in 2012.

The 3DS is a flop compared to the DS' performance and has little on the release horizon that's exciting. Wii has 0 big releases this year outside of Zelda which will probably be moved to the new platform like Twilight Princess was.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:00 am

History will probably show that the Wii was a fluke, and they're now getting back to their normal selves.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:21 pm

one of the most frustrating things with Nintendo since the DS has been "but we can't just have the same gaming experiences! Gamers won't buy it! We need to do something different!"

Which, well, i don't 100% agree with but hey - i see that offereing a new experience IS at least worth a look but then you look at the line ups for the last few consoles handhelds...

same old shit, over and over and over again. :/
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:55 pm

It's odd how Nintendo still hasn't learned its lesson to amass 3rd party support before releasing a new platform. Also, if it needed to be said, never raise prices out of "fan interest."

It's hard to sympathize much with Nintendo when they dug their own hole by diluting the current gen market and focusing immediately on casual gamer when they found a catch. And I'm still not sure why the 3DS is region-locked when no handheld system before needed to be and apparently, neither will the Vita. I admire their idealist views but that courtship during the Wii era has lost them serious support from more serious gamers. Nintendo focusing on The Next Big Thing seems like an awfully risky strategy though, one that may push investors up into arms if the U fails.

That said, the price cut and Ambassador program was probably the best thing Nintendo could have done at this point. Some of the negativity shown towards it seems unwarranted. Granted, the price drop this time is one of the earliest for any console but game companies aren't obligated to hold prices for any time, and there's no doubt the 3DS was guaranteed to fall to $180 at some point down the line. It's also unheard of for a company to offer a later bonus for early adopters.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:35 am

Only time I can think of was one of the iPhone cuts -- I think the 3G when it came out to the states (or maybe the 3GS). The whole thing reeks of total fuck up though.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:29 am

Yep, Nintendo is doomed. I think they will end up like Sega within the next decade, after the inevitable failure of the Wii U. And I think that will be a good thing as I'll actually get to play games they've developed on good hardware, without all the crappy, forced gimmicks.

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:11 pm

I bet they'll pull some magical golden laying goose right at the last possible minute that'll make them filthy rich once again. It's happened before with Pokémon, the DS and the Wii.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:34 am

Ganelon wrote:Granted, the price drop this time is one of the earliest for any console [...]. It's also unheard of for a company to offer a later bonus for early adopters.

I don't wanna be the smartass here, but all this has happened before with the original Xbox in Europe. It launched for 479 Euro on March 14, 2002. They cut the price at the GameCube's launchday (May 3rd 2002) almost in half, all the way down to 299 Euro (!).
Back then, early adopters were granted the possibility to bring their receipt to the stores and claim a total of three Games for free. That was at a time when the MSRP for Xbox games was 69 Euros (and many if not all stores sticked to that for a long time), so it wasn't that much of a bad deal.

Xbox did rather good in Europe, despite the bad start. Better than the GameCube anyway. It's not all over, maybe Christmas sale with some new Nintendo quality titles is gonna save it.

By the way, I haven't heard anything about the Wii U since E3. Anything new? Or are they still waiting for the laughs at their shuriken & golf tablet to die off? :/

Return to “Japanese Video Games”