Errors on game entry pages

Voice your site-related complaints, rants, suggestions or whatever

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

schadenfreude
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Errors on game entry pages

Postby schadenfreude » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:31 am

I know I'm probably the only person in the world who still looks at these, but I really enjoy checking out the cover scans and reading the informative and sometimes funny write-ups. But I'm sad to see a lot of the images on the index pages are missing, and game pages like Chi no Rondo and others give a JSON error in my web browser console. Do you have any plans to fix the errors? No pressure if it's a huge endeavor. ;)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: Errors on game entry pages

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:29 pm

schadenfreude wrote:I know I'm probably the only person in the world who still looks at these, but I really enjoy checking out the cover scans and reading the informative and sometimes funny write-ups. But I'm sad to see a lot of the images on the index pages are missing, and game pages like Chi no Rondo and others give a JSON error in my web browser console. Do you have any plans to fix the errors? No pressure if it's a huge endeavor. ;)

You're right -- you may be the only one. ;)
If it's not too big of a problem can you list a few that have errors? Actually I am going over AngularJS and NodeJS right now... mainly for other projects and potentially for career, so I do plan on doing a bit of work to the main site. Just not in a huge rush as i'm super fucking busy these days.

EDIT: Oh -- PC-Engine stuff. The hu-card games have issues. Probably a relic from the legacy site.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

schadenfreude
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby schadenfreude » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Yep, the PC Engine games are hit pretty hard by it. Most of the other pages look pretty good. I did some clicking around and found that Cowboy Bebop has the same problem: http://www.gamengai.com/info.html?type=games&id=350. And some game pages like D2's page (http://www.gamengai.com/info.html?type=games&id=900) have images that exceed the width of the left div, making the images stretch underneath the text in the right div. This can be fixed easily by forcing the images to have the same pixel width as their containing div, if you're willing to sacrifice image quality a bit.

I haven't done much work with Node.js but have some experience with the older version of AngularJS. I'm planning on doing a future project with that combination because it seems like a winner. If you wanna go full "JavaScript", you can try something like the MEAN stack: MongoDB, Ember.js, AngularJS, and Node.js. I was planning on trying it, but in my experience, Mongo is too hardcore for a small application.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:16 pm

I won't go mongo, but it will be close to that when it's done. The version of the site now is basically a sandbox. I wanted to move from the old provider to save money, and the PHP stuff just flat out broke. I figured it was time.

Anywho, I haven't forgotten about this. Might have a chance to dig in this week. I think for those it is actually an easy fix.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:57 am

Fixed!

schadenfreude
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby schadenfreude » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:06 am

Thanks! I'll have some reading to do this weekend.

I noticed you changed the format of the URLs, including in the forum (i.e., it's "forum.gamengai.com" now instead of "gamengai.com/forum"). Are you okay with all the broken links this will produce? Think of all the poor people whose links to various Gamengai forum threads will now be dead. :o Though maybe links were broken when you did the update back in 2014 too; I can't recall.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:39 pm

schadenfreude wrote:Thanks! I'll have some reading to do this weekend.

I noticed you changed the format of the URLs, including in the forum (i.e., it's "forum.gamengai.com" now instead of "gamengai.com/forum"). Are you okay with all the broken links this will produce? Think of all the poor people whose links to various Gamengai forum threads will now be dead. :o Though maybe links were broken when you did the update back in 2014 too; I can't recall.

I didn't have too much of a choice. The forum is running on PHP, and is part of the old LAMP stack. The main site is now on Node. Right now, www.gamengai.com/forums will forward to here. I can probably fancify that and make it go to the proper thread but I've not gotten around to it. Soon, but I've just moved house so that list is even longer!

ryu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ryu » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:19 pm

The main site is completely broken for me.

If you're working on it anyway it's probably just how it is now and you're aware of it. Reporting just in case.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:08 am

ryu wrote:The main site is completely broken for me.

If you're working on it anyway it's probably just how it is now and you're aware of it. Reporting just in case.

What's the symptom? The menu and the pages therein should be working. The forums keep crashing... quite franky on something that shouldn't even be there. :-/

ryu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ryu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:18 am

What's the symptom?

I see the navi bar. Everything below that is white. When I click a link other than the forum link an empty drop down menu pops up in the page area.

Tested on firefox 52, 53 and webkit2 surf compiled last week with the latest libs at the time.

ryu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ryu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:25 am

same problems with latest chrome on windows

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri May 05, 2017 12:02 am

Hmm... I don't have a windows box handy. I have an old ass version of Safari which is not working, but latest Chrome and Firefox on my Mac are fine... Chromium on Linux also fine.

Any chance you can check your console for errors? Thanks man!

ryu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ryu » Fri May 05, 2017 10:29 am

Why didn't I think of that? ...

Maybe this helps?

Code: Select all

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://www.gamengai.com/fft. (Reason: CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing).  (unknown)
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://www.gamengai.com/index-omake?p=1&itemType=chirashi&system=arcade. (Reason: CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing).  (unknown)
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://www.gamengai.com/index-omake?p=1&itemType=chirashi&system=arcade&mode=count. (Reason: CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing).  (unknown)

Code: Select all

Error:  Object { data: null, status: -1, headers: gd/<(), config: Object, statusText: "" }  mainCtrl.js:24:7

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat May 06, 2017 3:45 pm

Cheers!
By any chance, are you at http://gamengai.com and not http://www.gamengai.com?
I think I will need to address that somehow if so.

ryu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ryu » Sat May 06, 2017 8:33 pm

wow yeah, I've been addressing http://gamengai.com. the www subdomain works fine.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon May 08, 2017 3:43 am

ryu wrote:wow yeah, I've been addressing http://gamengai.com. the www subdomain works fine.

That's obviously turd coding on my part... will fix. ;)

Return to “Site Feedback”