Sharehouses in Japan

Questions and comments about living in Japan, chit-chat, or whatever else goes in here.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

schadenfreude
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Sharehouses in Japan

Postby schadenfreude » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:23 am

I'm going to show up in Tokyo in late October this year and stay for a few months, and I'm wondering if you dudes have any experience with sharehouses in the city. I haven't done much research into housing yet, but the two names that keep popping up are Sakura House and Oak House. I have heard good and bad things about both of them. Both accept international credit cards and allow paying month-to-month, which I like. Sakura House is foreigners-only, whereas Oak House allows Japanese residents. Oak House shows demographics data for each of its houses on its web site, which is pretty cool, and most of the houses I checked were around 50% Japanese. This is good in that I want to practice Japanese with native speakers but bad in that, if I may stereotype, they may be more robotic than human. The next-most common nationalities in the houses are usually Korean and Chinese, so I imagine that mix would make for a really hoppin' household. :roll:

I'd also appreciate any tips on location. I'm not big on shopping but will be hitting up arcades, so being close to Akihabara or at least having an easy commute to it would be good for the playing. Being in a neighborhood with a lot of young people would be nice. I'd prefer to be away from Roppongi and other places with bro culture. I'd like to be near food and grocery stores, but I assume that's true for most of the city. Sorry for the vagueness! But any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: Sharehouses in Japan

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:16 pm

What is your budget? I highly recommend Airbnb. I've found some decent places quite cheap. There was one in between Yoyogi Uehara and Komaba Toudaimae I stayed at for some 4000 yen a night or so. It was a humble room w/ a quite shit bed, but it worked for me. Just make sure you book in advance. So much better than a gaijin house, and WAY more locations to choose from.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

schadenfreude
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby schadenfreude » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:14 am

Around 100,000 yen a month. For a 4000 yen a night place, I should be able to get a monthly rate around my budget. I will check Airbnb, but I'll have to try out a share house at some point too. Staying in one is like a gaijin rite of passage. Most of them are month-to-month, so if I hate it, I'll only lose a month of my life — and I'll complete the rite of passage too.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:58 pm

schadenfreude wrote:but I'll have to try out a share house at some point too. Staying in one is like a gaijin rite of passage.

I never did. ;)

I just checked airbnb. Plenty for under $50 USD per night... and many under $40. If you really want that experience, got for it, but everyone I've heard of is horribly located and not great. Save your time and money for those other gaijin rites of passage, such as getting "randomly" searched by cops and turned down at the door at the blow job bars.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

schadenfreude
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby schadenfreude » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:41 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I never did. ;)

:o

How did you go about meeting people? At least a sharehouse will give you some people by default, though they may not be great people. I will be telecommuting while in Japan, so I won't be getting anything from the work angle.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:54 pm

I went clubbing. I first shared a place with a friend from University so I got to meet a couple of his friends first, but honestly, we just went to the same clubs and met people. There are other meetups and whatnot as well. Can be tricky but it's not too bad. Also some places on Airbnb work like guest houses. There was one I stayed at for a few nights which was a 7-bedroom place tucked away between Toudaimae and Uehara.

schadenfreude
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby schadenfreude » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Got it — thanks for the tips!

Return to “Everything Else”