[PS2] Iris no Atelier: Eternal Mana 2 official site opens.

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

[PS2] Iris no Atelier: Eternal Mana 2 official site opens.

Postby Recap » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:27 pm

This link goes to Iris no Atelier: Eternal Mana 2 website, with snapshots like these: Image Image Image Image

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:50 pm

Wow... that actually looks very good. Thanks for the link. I've never gotten into any of these games. Aren't they Alchemy RPGs, where you mix & match liquids?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:23 pm

I bought the first two games in the series and the recent Eternal Mana, but the truth is that I haven't played'em. It is said that, until Eternal Mana, the series is strongly based on the alchemy thing (combats are pretty basic), but that game, without keeping totally apart the alchemy and creation of items, it's a classic RPG with a pretty interesting combat system. Graphics are not worse than its sequel, judging by what I've seen. The sequel, from what I can understand, is going to be a bit more focused on the alchemy. Combats seem to have an action bar like Grandia's, which is great news to me. GP, I've told you before, if you like how EM2 looks, try to get the first Eternal Mana - it got superb scores in Japanese media and is being currently translated into English by Nippon Ichi America.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:42 pm

I will keep that in mind. Haven't bought much since leaving. Only new stuff... a DS I rarely play, and Tales of Rebirth, which I'm about 12 hours into. Very nice... although the leveling/combat/item/magic systems are a bit much to keep up with. I'm shocked that Sony is allowing anyone to release Eternal Mana, being that it's 2D. I mean they cock-blocked Metal Slug 3 for the love of God.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:06 am

A couple of more pics here

aerithhime
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby aerithhime » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:32 am

I definantly want to play this series. Is there voice acting in the first game? I can't believe the first one is coming out in the USA. I might buy it to support the cause but I don't know it'll depend on how the English voice acting is I'd rather play the Japanese version if it's going to hurt my ears.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:45 am

Yeah, I'll be getting the US version of the first game and support Atlus on future 2D RPG endeavors (meaning hopefully not more Megatens...).

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:54 am

The first one is on the PS2, right? I wish I didn't have so many damn series I wanted to play. This one looks lovely... the Alchemy stuff doesn't usually float my boat, but the beautiful sprites do.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:58 am

aerithhime wrote:I definantly want to play this series. Is there voice acting in the first game?.
There is.
Yeah, I'll be getting the US version of the first game and support Atlus on future 2D RPG endeavors
Atlus has nothing to do with Eternal Mana US version,thoe. Oddly, it's NIS America.
The first one is on the PS2, right?
Right, if you meant the first Eternal Mana. The first Gust's Atelier game was originally for the Saturn and had a quick port to the PS One. Then, it was remade for the DC by Kool Kids in true hi resolution.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:07 am

Recap wrote: Atlus has nothing to do with Eternal Mana US version,thoe. Oddly, it's NIS America.
LOL, I always get them confused. Oh well, Atlus will very likely be distributing the game anyway as they did for Phantom Brave. I couldn't stand the 32-bit Atelier games. Way too much conversational text and not enough gameplay. The Atelier Mana series looks a lot more interesting though.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:18 am

New details have been givn on the Limited Edition, as well as a new character profile: Theodore. Pics of the LE can be found by clicking the farmost right link in the flash movie from the main page. It will feature two figures, and an Iris greting card. The Theodore profile was added to the charcter profile page. On a seperate note, bastards lucky enough to order from Gust Shop will get a soundtrack CD complete with a 20-pg booklet.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed May 04, 2005 5:48 pm

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 04, 2005 7:05 pm

I actually read this on their website the other day but assumed it was a translation of already posted English news. :/ Any clue if I can enjoy this one without playing the first? I will most likely pick it up.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed May 04, 2005 11:36 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I actually read this on their website the other day but assumed it was a translation of already posted English news. :/ Any clue if I can enjoy this one without playing the first? I will most likely pick it up.
If you ask, I can really enjoy any game with graphics like these even if I don't get a word from the story. Add to it a Grandia-ish combat system and the enjoyment will be passion, so you know my answer. Story-wise is a prequel of EM, and the main characters will make cameos here, so I think the smartest move is playing EM first (and no other Atelier games, actually). The big question here is why the heck haven't you purchased EM yet.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 05, 2005 2:40 am

'cause I've got like a million things in my "to play" list... including quite a few RPGs. I think I can get an Atlier M&E on the DC. Is this just a port from the two PS games? Worth getting it's cheap?

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu May 05, 2005 10:22 am

Gaijin Punch wrote: I think I can get an Atlier M&E on the DC. Is this just a port from the two PS games? Worth getting it's cheap?
It's a port from the two SS games, which were actually the original versions. The DC port is really nice, since everything is true hi res displayed. It's cheap, the package is big, it comes with a figurine, the games are OK if you can read the text... Worth getting to me.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 11, 2005 12:09 am

Well, another reason to hate those Japanese. People that buy the Limited Edition through Sofmap will get an extra figurine not found in the LE.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed May 11, 2005 11:29 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Well, another reason to hate those Japanese. People that buy the Limited Edition through Sofmap will get an extra figurine not found in the LE.
I love when the non-available/non-free extras come in form of figurines; I always pass over them.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 11, 2005 11:32 am

I usually don't get them unless they're in a machine, and cost 200 yen. They always decorate my desk at work or home, and fall to pieces in a few weeks.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon May 30, 2005 11:56 am

IT Media has published a small report of Gust's Atelier series into its own review of Eternal Mana 2: http://www.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0505/30/news053.html

PCEngine_Hunter
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby PCEngine_Hunter » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:20 pm

I was in Japan last year when the first game came out and saw it on display at quite a few stores, it looked lovely, gorgeous 2D graphics like all other Nippon Ichi games so far and reminisent the Tales games. I will be purchasing the US version of the first game when it is released and later on the Japanese sequel.

PCEngine_Hunter
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby PCEngine_Hunter » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:24 pm

aerithhime wrote:I definantly want to play this series. Is there voice acting in the first game? I can't believe the first one is coming out in the USA. I might buy it to support the cause but I don't know it'll depend on how the English voice acting is I'd rather play the Japanese version if it's going to hurt my ears.
Dont worry, all previous US released games from this company have had a choice of original Japanese or dubbed voices so I dont see why this one will be any different. I really really wish this was a standard practise, I dont know how many games I haven't been able to play due to horrid American "acting" (Tales of Eternia is one that springs to mind right away), thank God I wont have to deal with that any more soon as I will be able to stick to all Japanese games and ignore English versions.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:52 am

I got this in the mail. Very beautiful, very fun. Not too over the top (not yet anyway). About 3 hours into it. My summer games are pretty much set out for me (maybe I should make a devoted thread) so I can slowly enjoy this one with no pressure... although I would like to play the first one at some point. Cheers to Recap for nagging me until I pre-ordered it. Looks great on the new RGB monitor as well.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:12 pm

I officially hate this game now. Easy as balls until the last battle... then impossible. Terrible design IMHO... I hate games like that. For shame, b/c everything else about it is so good.

Dais
Resident Fuck You
Resident Fuck You

Postby Dais » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:25 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I officially hate this game now. Easy as balls until the last battle... then impossible. Terrible design IMHO... I hate games like that. For shame, b/c everything else about it is so good.
But.....but......"Deceitful Wings"!

Return to “Japanese Video Games”