The Official WTF are YOU playing right now thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

mempbisB
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mempbisB » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:27 pm

My sega saturn and dreamcast r all under in a box and I m pretty lazy to unpack em. PS2 Gradious V Star Ocean 3 SSX ;)

mempbisB
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mempbisB » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:37 pm

[quote="Pingu"]Dreamcast: PSOv2 and F355 challenge. On the PC I've started playing more and more d繝サ

Aridyme
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Aridyme » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:06 pm

I'm currently playing: Dreamcast: Rent a Hero, Sakura Taisen, Shenmue PS2: Katamari Damacy, Bujingai

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:16 pm

Figured I should get this thread going again. Haven't played PSO:BB in a while, but Episode IV starts tonight, so I'll probably download it and give it a shot. Got a new joystick so played some Metal Slug 3 and ESPGaluda today... boy, I'm out of practice. I can't even get half of my best high score on ESPGaluda. :( Tales of Rebirth is what I'm currently hacking out. 25+ hours into it, so I'm nearing the end.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:56 pm

Latelly Ive been on a shmups tripp and got a bunch of exellent PC titles. Ive found quite a few Gems that I was completelly unaware of... ;) - Steel Saviour - probably the best looking game in that genre, similar to Einhander and R-type. (better known as T-Zwei) - Angeraze 2 re:birth - Gun Dead Ligne - Imperisable Night - Perfect Cherry Blossom - Bike Banditz PS2 - Full Metal Alchemist - Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne DC - Chaos Field Xbox - N.U.D.E.@
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:10 pm

I've heard good things about Cherry Blossom. What about the other Shmups? Are any of them Doujin titles? Got some links... I'm always looking for good shmups to try out. Just can't get enough of the Manic ones. I'm a bit pissed that Gigawing Generations and PS: Generation II come out on the same day.... Shining Force Neo also comes out on that day. :cry:
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:32 pm

Yeah there pretty much all doujin shooters :P except Steel Saviour ( wich is in the kickass category )

Ill provide you to the links with demo's so you can download and see for yourself ;)

Steel Saviour - http://www.steelsaviour.com/

Angeraze 2 - http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014388/angeraze2/
(Demo) http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014388 ... ng2_dl.htm (47.3MB) AWESOME GAME!

Cherry Blossom Perfect & Imperishable Night - http://www16.big.or.jp/%7Ezun/html/game.html, demos available on this links. Very cool, Shikigami style

Bike Banditz - http://www13.plala.or.jp/french/hot_index.htm
(Demo) - http://mirror.fuzzy2.com/french/ BB_TRIAL (67.3MB) Great graphics similar to Alien Hominid.

GunDeadLigne - link&demo, http://www20.cds.ne.jp/%7Emurasame/sour ... dligne.htm

All those are highly recommended, and most of them r manic ones so you should like them :).
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:14 am

Finally got around to trying a couple of these out. Steel Saviour and Cherry Blossom. Nice stuff... I don't think I've ever played a game with airbrushed backgrounds. :) I finally got around to playing some Xbox games now that have an HDTV. So, in 480p, I'm replaying Panzer Dragoon Orta and JSRF. On the Dreamcast, I'm trudging through Sakura Taisen 2, and still playing Progear and a few others in emulation.

aerithhime
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby aerithhime » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:21 am

Most Recent beaten games- Katamari Damashi, Resident Evil 4(GC) Katamari is just too much fun and Resident Evil 4 was one of the most exciting games I've played in a long time. Currently playing- Final Fantasy X-2 International - Near the end, but many side missions left. Tales of Rebirth - Just started only 2 hours in.

zubiac
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby zubiac » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:12 am

mainly "B繝サ
Drummer @ Image Join my daily struggle....

Aridyme
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Aridyme » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:23 pm

Got my copies of DMC and Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 from Play-Asia, so I'm currently playing those. In DMC I haven't been able to get a rank better than the lowest; probably due to my style sucking because I didn't know there were attacks other than the guns and triangle-triangle-triangle. I'm doing okay in VJ though :)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:52 pm

Well, I finally beat Sakura Taisen 2. Took longer than expected b/c I broke out my Ketsui PCB and played it for about a week. Currently playing: -Shenmue for the second time, and really enjoying. Been meaning to do this for a while. -Border Down -NiGHTS

AkumajouDraculaXX#Reload
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby AkumajouDraculaXX#Reload » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:09 am

Sup y'all. My very first post in these forums ever. 22 y/o, collects Famicom, Super Famicom, PC Engine (well that's on hold now my PC Engine Duo broke and need to get a new one) and that's pretty much it.

Some of y'all at Digital Press seen me under the name "Lord Contaminous".

As of this moment I'm desperately trying to sell my whole Gamecube lot as a package so I can get a REAL Super Famicom system. I'll post that up in the buying and selling thread in a little while. Hope y'all like what I got. All of a sudden I don't feel like a real SFC collector playing SFC games on my neutered American SNES. It's time that I get my SFC games into it's native design.

Anyway back on topic, currently I've just been playing lots of Guilty Gear XX #Reload on Japanese PS2. Just took up Bridget yesterday and can't wait to test drive him/her by opening a can of wup-ass on this guy at my local arcade that uses the 2nd most annoying character in the game: May.

Also a little Phantasy Star 4 here, some Lagrange Point & Akumajou Densetsu there on my Famiclone.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:00 am

Welcome... you've got quite a nice variety of things going on. I'm stuck at home (home, home -- my parnets place) w/ the laptop, so it's a bunch of emulation for me at the moment. :)

aerithhime
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby aerithhime » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:15 am

Lastest game I beat: Devil May Cry 3 Currently playing: Final Fantasy X-2 Last mission and nothing else till I finish it. I keep hopping to other games and not finishing it up. Gaijin Punch did you beat Nights? I beat it when I was a kid but that darn guy with the cape that shoots cards has always given me a hard time. I can't seem to beat him nowdays. Maybe he's harder in the Japanese version. Yeah that must be it. :)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:00 am

Yes, I beat NiGHTS (recently actually), and yes, that clown is a bastard. Thing is the bosses are random, so eventually you won't have to fight him. Hehe. How was DMC 3? Not a huge fan of the series, but it ain't bad. I figure I'll pick it up used one day when it's down to $20. Too much old stuff I'm into now. FFX-2, eh? Always wanted to play it. PLayed FFX and enjoyed it, but have now forgotten what the hell happened in the story. :?

CDoty
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

WTF?!?

Postby CDoty » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:51 am

Cannon Fodder. The 3DO version is the best I've found. Sega MVP baseball. It looks like a mix between lemmings and clay figures playing baseball. I'm really tempted to buy the arcade board.

nutribrain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nutribrain » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:26 am

Currently I'm in the middle of moving, so I haven't much time to play. Most of my consoles are packed away or already got transported to my new home, so I stuck with my Mac and play Starcraft. I enjoy to play it vs computer and some friends, both are no match for me ;-)

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:41 am

PC Genjin (Cube) A great remake, the graphics work well. Get's better in the higher difficulties.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon May 02, 2005 9:59 pm

Figured I'd update this:

Just beat
Phantasy Star: Generation II
Castlevania: Byakuya no Kousoukyoku (GBA)
Castlevania: Err... the other one that's not Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Castlevania (PS2) (seeing a pattern)
Metroid: Zero Mission

Still playing ESPGaluda and Ketsui from time to time. Those will hold me over until Mushihime arrives. I just also popped in Final Fantasy Advance to give that a whirl. Not sure if it'll last, but figured I'd give it a shot.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PCEngine_Hunter
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby PCEngine_Hunter » Sat May 07, 2005 2:01 am

I've been on a real PC Engine kick latley so I have mostly been playing PC Engine games. I have right into Cosmic Fantasy 4 Pt.1 for the last week(I think "Act 7" just started), I'm really enjoying it. I was also playing Dragon Knight & Graffiti until I got stuck on the third floor of the dungeon :roll: Also gave Fray CD a whirl last week.

I tried playing Strider Hiryu when I finally bought it 2 weeks back but ACK, I couldn't!! That game is attrocious, I will never know how NEC AV f*cked that conversion up so bad after their previous Capcom Super CD conversions such as Chiki Chiki Boys, Forgotten Worlds and Tenchi wo Karou were almost arcade perfect and this was an arcade CD and it stunk so badly in the graphics AND playability departments. One of my favourite memories of playing it on the MD for the first time was running down the hill in the second stage with the bombs going off and then jumping to the other side, the background was gorgeous and it was a really thrilling moment. The PCE version has a grey background and mono coloured snow and sticks, I think NEC AV forgot about the PCE's colour pallete and used about 5 colours in the whole game. Unbelieveable.....

PCEngine_Hunter
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby PCEngine_Hunter » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:38 am

I finally decided to play Grandia II last week and finished it last night. Unfortunately I had to suffer through the awful PS2 version. I bought the Japanese DC version when it first came out but couldn't play due to no memory and then I bought the PAL English version in late 2003 but it was the same story. I bought the PS2 version when I was in the US last year, even though I knew how awful it was supposed to be (and it IS!!!) but I figured it would be my best shot at actually being able to play it. Seeing as Grandia III is coming in August I figured it was about time I played II. I really really enjoyed it, it was very different to the first game, very dark where as the first was nice and light and adventury for the most part, I cant wait for III now, it looks awesome.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:15 am

Very curious to see how III turns out. (Fingers crossed). I will get it as soon as it's out.

Currently playing now:
-Eternal Mana 2
-ESPGaluda Arrange Mode and Ketsui (warming up for Mushihime-sama)
-Demon Front which I've not touched in a week, but need to
-Some crap in MAME when I'm bored.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:52 pm

Even though this is really late me posting this I played through the 3 routes for the PSX Langrisser 4 a few months back. Despite what most people say the remake isn't too bad but I still prefer the Saturn version over it slighty.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:26 am

Azazel wrote:Even though this is really late me posting this I played through the 3 routes for the PSX Langrisser 4 a few months back. Despite what most people say the remake isn't too bad but I still prefer the Saturn version over it slighty.
Could you please elaborate a bit? Which differences are there graphic-wise? And what about Langrisser V?

Return to “Japanese Video Games”